Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cams hardwired

Views : 714

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 14:17   #1
Paul-C

Default Dash cams hardwired

I have a MY17 XC60 Se Lux Nav D5 Awd and recently had issues with a what appeared to be a major parasitic drain (thread posted last Nov)
After spending 21 days at the dealers it was concluded that the battery was the fault (this battery was new to the car 12 months previous)
Because I had dash cams fitted front and back they became suspects with the drain issue even though I had disconnected them 4 weeks prior to the car going in for investigation and the fault was still on the car, anyway battery changed and all ok at the moment.
The question I have is what fuses do I piggyback in the fuse box under the glove compartment to re-connect the cams?
The rear cam is ignition controlled the front Garmin 65 has parking sensor so needs constant live but one of the comments that came back last November raised the question about the front cam possibly wakening modules that should be asleep when the car is locked thus causing some drainage
Any advice appreciated
Paul-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 12:32   #2
ber5ien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-C View Post
I have a MY17 XC60 Se Lux Nav D5 Awd and recently had issues with a what appeared to be a major parasitic drain (thread posted last Nov)
After spending 21 days at the dealers it was concluded that the battery was the fault (this battery was new to the car 12 months previous)
Because I had dash cams fitted front and back they became suspects with the drain issue even though I had disconnected them 4 weeks prior to the car going in for investigation and the fault was still on the car, anyway battery changed and all ok at the moment.
The question I have is what fuses do I piggyback in the fuse box under the glove compartment to re-connect the cams?
The rear cam is ignition controlled the front Garmin 65 has parking sensor so needs constant live but one of the comments that came back last November raised the question about the front cam possibly wakening modules that should be asleep when the car is locked thus causing some drainage
Any advice appreciated
I have got it connected to F7 under the glovebox campartment. The fuse box without massive connector in the middle. The negative when down to one of the screws on the left side wall (black screw) under carpet and plastic gearbox cover.

It should stop working after max of 30min or less when the car goes into sleep mode.

F7 11C/7 17/19 12 V outlet, cargo compartment - 15amp
ber5ien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 09:27   #3
Malcolm Rouchy

I had front and rear dash cams fitted by Halfords in Chesterfield, all was going well until the fitter lost one of the A pillar airbag covers. The fitter apologised and stated that Halfords would reimburse me for the cost of a new cover. Its not the expense that annoys me, its the inconvenience. I visited my local Volvo dealer who told me they don't have in stock, he's got to order it

To cut a long story short I sent in a review to Halfords and this is the reply I got:-

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

This email was sent by: Halfords
Icknield Street Drive, Washford West, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 0DE, UK

So if Halfords don't like complaints in their reviews they simply refuse to publish the review
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 10:25   #4
piotrek

Hardwired dashcams indeed cause significant parasitic drain, which is easy to check with elm327 adapter - just plug it in diagnostic port and Car Scanner Elm Obd2 app can show the Quiescent Current Average from the last night.

Quiescent should be around -5mA to -13mA, anything over -25mA is a cause for concern.

This app will also show the state of charge of the starter battery (SOC).
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post: