Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

**** sake

Views : 6885

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2021, 11:27   #21
Lexman8
Premier Member

See post #6 on this link showing wiring to accessory socket:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 18:07   #22
key76

I had a chip in my screen with barely 2k on the clock last year. Very frustrating but repaired reasonably well by Autoglass through insurance for free.

The downside, which I didn't realise, is that it counts as a claim which must be declared when doing insurance quotes. When I renewed later in the year it pushed my insurance up by £50. And will have to be declared for 5 years. Had I known before that I would have paid for the chip repair myself.
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 18:47   #23
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I had a chip in my screen with barely 2k on the clock last year. Very frustrating but repaired reasonably well by Autoglass through insurance for free.

The downside, which I didn't realise, is that it counts as a claim which must be declared when doing insurance quotes. When I renewed later in the year it pushed my insurance up by £50. And will have to be declared for 5 years. Had I known before that I would have paid for the chip repair myself.
Yep, insurance companies don't do anything 'for free'.

Having learnt the hard way when I was young that actually claiming on insurance can have a large impact on future premiums, I now look upon insurance as something of a necessary evil. If what I'm potentially claiming for is reasonably affordable then I will pay for it rather than use insurance.
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 19:18   #24
Steorbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Hmm, not sure about the "Volvo don't use their own glass" bit unless that is a very recent change as my windscreen definitely has Volvo stamped on it and that was from about September last year.

I wouldn't use Halfords for anything personally. I'm sure there are some good Halfords staff out there but I've heard too many horror stories of them screwing things up.

A quick google of dashcam fitting reveals lots of places offer "professional" fitting services but just saying that on their website doesn't make it true!

Given that the windscreen is already cracked, I would give it another go, personally. I followed the steps in this thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308816
That was for a V90 but very similar to my V60.

Failing that, I would ask the dealer, but I have seen threads where dealers refuse to fit them due to concerns about interference with all the safety kit. I went for a camera with no Wi-fi and no GPS and fitted it about 10cm away from the intellisafe module to minimise any chance of interference.
Would back up the non volvo thing. Mine was done march/April last year and was told it does indeed come from volvo and that's the only option (although imagine it's outsourcing for volvo) Will be interesting to see what is stamped on it.
Steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:07   #25
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Hmm, not sure about the "Volvo don't use their own glass" bit unless that is a very recent change as my windscreen definitely has Volvo stamped on it and that was from about September last year.

I wouldn't use Halfords for anything personally. I'm sure there are some good Halfords staff out there but I've heard too many horror stories of them screwing things up.

A quick google of dashcam fitting reveals lots of places offer "professional" fitting services but just saying that on their website doesn't make it true!

Given that the windscreen is already cracked, I would give it another go, personally. I followed the steps in this thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308816
That was for a V90 but very similar to my V60.

Failing that, I would ask the dealer, but I have seen threads where dealers refuse to fit them due to concerns about interference with all the safety kit. I went for a camera with no Wi-fi and no GPS and fitted it about 10cm away from the intellisafe module to minimise any chance of interference.
I’m assuming that they outsource it and then when it goes back to Volvo they just stamp it?

I decided I had nothing to lose and have now fitted the wiring. Hoping that they don’t remove it when replacing windscreen. If they have to take all trim off then they might?

Getting to fuse box was a nightmare and I’m sure I snapped something, but it’s secure anyway even if th4 box is quite scratched now.

I’d purchased a hardwir3 kit previously and that’s how I connected it to my last Volvo, but the fuses in the s90 are really small so I can’t hardwire and am going to hav3 to order some sort of attachment to accept the mini fuses to piggy back. All the wiring is in place anyway apart from that and I’ve just shoved the remaining wires under the carpet until I get an attachment and will then have to face getting the fuse box open again.

What a drama!!
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:08   #26
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post

Considering an increase in premium is still worth it throug( insurance. If it was a chip then probably not worth it, but for a new windscreen I am imagining £600+
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:09   #27
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Whilst your screen is cracked you have got nothing to lose, just get the cable for the dash cam in and fitted now. As for source of power, if you are happy with a simple ignition controlled supply (ie no parking cam) then I am a big fan of connecting to the back of the 12v accessory socket. It is easy to access on the XC90 so I assume S90 similar. The trim beside the passenger seat just clips off to reveal the area under the cupholders and gear stick.
I think the hardwire is much neater and saves my 12v sockets, but is an option if all else fails.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:27   #28
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
I’m assuming that they outsource it and then when it goes back to Volvo they just stamp it?
Probably and perhaps that is what the autoglass person meant. Be interesting to know what the replacement is stamped with.

Quote:
I decided I had nothing to lose and have now fitted the wiring. Hoping that they don’t remove it when replacing windscreen. If they have to take all trim off then they might?

Getting to fuse box was a nightmare and I’m sure I snapped something, but it’s secure anyway even if th4 box is quite scratched now.
I doubt they would remove the wiring (assuming that you tucked it into existing clips). Would have thought they would make sure to minimise disturbance to the existing wiring and sensors, cameras etc.

Quote:
I’d purchased a hardwir3 kit previously and that’s how I connected it to my last Volvo, but the fuses in the s90 are really small so I can’t hardwire and am going to hav3 to order some sort of attachment to accept the mini fuses to piggy back. All the wiring is in place anyway apart from that and I’ve just shoved the remaining wires under the carpet until I get an attachment and will then have to face getting the fuse box open again.

What a drama!!
Opening the fuse box is a real ballache but if you want the parking mode (which I did) then it's the only feasible way to go unfortunately.

They are Micro 2 fuses. Probably easiest to buy the Micro fuse piggy back tails rather than trying to add an adapter, for the sake of a few £.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:28   #29
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
See post #6 on this link showing wiring to accessory socket:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747
I’m confused as to what I’m doing looking at post 6.

So I’d need to buy a splitter?
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 11:37   #30
ThomasC91

Contacted nextbase as apparently thr6 send out 5he micro fuses for free