Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone here owns this marvelous beast

Views : 2865

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2021, 13:15   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Default Anyone here owns this marvelous beast

I'll warn you guys this was a very difficult read.

However do enjoy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850....m46890.l49286
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 13:49   #2
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

From the way it's written up, I'd be fearful of buying this.
First, absolutely no provenance - what engine internals has it got and how has it been driven and maintained. "My mate says" isn't really good enough.
Second, from the attitude of the description, it seems to me that it probably has been thrashed to within an inch of its life.
Third, it's been unloved in so many areas - all the focus is on the boy racer engine but everything else has either been put aside or lashed together.
Fourth, the seller obviously doesn't have a lot of knowledge about 850's in general due to a number of erroneous comments and statements which compounds my concern as to how it's been cared for.

Just my opinion you understand.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 14:07   #3
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
I'll warn you guys this was a very difficult read.

However do enjoy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850....m46890.l49286
Seen this ad this morning, gave up trying to read it to be honest.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 14:26   #4
griston64
Premier Member

I woodunt tuch it wiv a bargeong poll :
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 15:38   #5
Mkengineering
Master Member

😅😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

I think he is dreaming if he thinks he would get that? But then again I could be very wrong and some poor chap ends up buying a lemon.

Doing some more digging on the car,I've found out one good thing. It has a 18T turbo and from what I can see from the images the 850 t5r seats.

Shame he wont break as I'd buy the front seats.

Good luck to the old chap thou.

Last edited by Mkengineering; Mar 31st, 2021 at 16:42.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 15:50   #6
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Typical modded fwd owner!

Quote:
Not sure if it’s had internal work done to the engine, Conrods, crank ect, my mate said it had by the lad who he had it off originally who spent thousands on it but got no proof or receipts to say it has so can’t guarantee that, engines absolutely clean though not a spec of oil anywhere and engine all painted aswell, I’ve had loads of modified 850 T5’s, C70 T5’s, V70 T5’s and they haven’t been anything near the capabilities this power house has got, it’s scarily quick who needs a focus st or scooby when you can make them look silly in a big family estate
Quote:
I’ve only done about 700 mile in it and it’s a shame for it to be sat n hardly being used, I used it quiet abit in 1st year just at weekends going places and showing it off with mrs and kids but mrs was **** scared to go in it with me and kids didn’t really like the noise and how it pinned you in seat on boost haha it does sound awesome especially when you shut off and get a loud chatter and flutter through induction kit with it having the wastegate blanked off, it has shocked a lot of foke in there boy racer cars when they pull at side of you in a grandad sleeper Volvo then you leave em standing at traffic lights haha
Quote:
NOW FOR THE GOOD BITS:
2: massive expensive uprated front mount intercooler what’s about 5 inch thick and has 3 inch outlets, never seen one that fat and it’s well capable of handling 800bhp in my opinion, does hang out bottom abit though and has a little ding in it from ****ty speed humps, was like that when I got it, if you go over speed humps correct it don’t hit them lol
3: custom made 3 inch piping out the intercooler into 2.5 inch intercooler pipe kit with red uprated hoses with reverse intercooler mod aswell and other uprated hoses here and there! proper fat piping,
4: fat uprated hoses also from turbo to the air flow meter and induction kit
5: think it’s got a bigger turbo with it running 350BHP, don’t think a standard T5 turbo would hack that power and don’t think you would get 350BHP out of 1 either, and it don’t look like a standard size turbo what I’ve had on other 850s
6: it’s got a full custom 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back, needs it for all the power for the gases to escape quick and is a good upgrade when running big power
7: it’s got a pcv breather mod on it so it breaths into the atmosphere under the car and you don’t get problems with the pcv blocking up causing problems
8: it’s got full koni shocks all round what I fitted new last year with new strut top bearings and rubber cups what spring sits in lowered on 60mm springs at the front and fully adjustable coilover springs in the rear, just in case you want to carry owt heavy ect so you can adjust to whatever height on the rear,
9: uprated vac pipes ect
10: poly bushed engine mounts
11: uprated angel headlights
12: uprated boost gauge mounted in the air vent aswell as the standard boost gauge
13: uprated steering wheel what I fitted end of October last year, comes with standard one also just in case you want to put it on for m.o.t as horn don’t work with new wheel
14: mapped up to 350BHP
15: turbo wastegate been blanked off and you get a crazy flutter from turbo
16: apparently it’s had internal engine work but no proof to prove it,
17: uprated stiffer clutch
18, rot free car as are all volvos, it has been all wax oiled underneath aswell
19: very nice comfy T5R half leather and alcantara heated seats with no bolster ware,
20: got some old m.o.t’s and a load of receipts for stuff,
21: modified front bumper with add on home made splitter, looks cool and different
Quote:
Overall it’s a decent old classic car and it is nearly 25year old so don’t expect a new car what’s problem free because it isn’t and does have some little niggly bits what wants sorting but with that in mind and the bits sorted it would make a mint car again and all they doing is going up in value so it’s a good investment, if this car was absolutely mint with nothing up with at all I’d be selling it for £7000!! the body works very straight and is solid on top and underneath, I no it’s not everyone’s cup of tea to own a heavily modified tuned Volvo t5 instead of a standard 1 but someone will appreciate it for what it is and hopefully sort the bits and enjoy it, it’s pretty decent on petrol considering the power if you drive it normal, car hasn’t been thrashed to death either or been bouncing off the limiter like some idiots would but it has been booted im not denying that but they are a good strong engine and if serviced regularly and looked after they will last years, there maybe some bits I’ve forgot about but I can’t remember every last thing about the car,

Quote:
yeah mate max power and redline days were better than your gay stretch tires and camber, back then cars were different and actually had effort put into them, i'd love to stay here and slag off the cars you like but ive got to speed out of this asda carpark in a standard vectra because i left the wife at home and i have to beat her senseless before the footy match comes on.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 16:37   #7
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I woodunt tuch it wiv a bargeong poll :
good one - about sums it up!!
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 16:39   #8
Mkengineering
Master Member

🤣🤣.

It's crazy thou what these guys get away with. Its obviously a supercar for the McDonalds crew hahha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 16:41   #9
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
😅😆😆😆😆😆😆😆.

Spoke to the chap and I was astonished on how he was speaking to me as a potential buyer of the vehicle. The chap wants £4000!

I think he is dreaming if he thinks he would get that? But then again I could be very wrong and some poor chap ends up buying a lemon.

Doing some more digging on the car,I've found out one good thing. It has a 18T turbo and from what I can see from the images the R seats.

Shame he wont break as I'd buy the front seats.

Good luck to the old chap thou.
Were you genuinely interested in buying this??????

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 17:04   #10
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

If we all went through past episodes of Police Camera Action, Police Interceptors and Traffic Cops I'm sure we would find a clip that shows us how well it goes lol.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post: