Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rip-off additional car insurance

Views : 1664

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2021, 22:45   #1
sv70

Default rip-off additional car insurance

I already own a 2005 V70 d5,never claimed in my 40 years of driving, my premium for next 12 months With Hastings was- £310, fully comp, after tackling them with a cheaper quote from - the AA which was-£227 they agreed to match it and reduce their premium by - £80. However in the last week i purchased another v70- same year, spec, colour, value and all, so i rang them today to see what the additional cost would be to put on my insurance- unbelievable- from £227 it jumped to- £805, now i purchased this latest car to fix a few problems on it and keep, but at those prices no way it really is a scam by the insurance companies to say -oh sir your 40 years of no claims driving can only count for 1 car, it really is a pi-- take, and how do they get away with it, this is the first time i have posted in this section such is the strong feeling that again the poor motorist is getting shafted again, i always thought that if you as an individual accruing how many years of NCD then this should be applicable to any car you drive, and them saying that your ncd goes out of the window for a second car is just blatant theft ,i am now in the predicament of having to sell this latest car due to the greedy, thieving set of ba---rds they are, and our government is just as bad for letting them get away with it.-Gripe over-[for now].
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 23:31   #2
george57l
George

Is AA insurance still having 'problems'? I seem to recall some financial problems in recent years, and they seem not to do too well in sat surveys.

Anyway, I had a similar situation - only temporarily - with a V70, buying an XC70, both of similar ages and specs, owning both for a while until I offloaded the V70.

Aviva is who I insure with and all premiums (monthly) were as pretty much near pro rata as if I had insured each car separately - as I could tell. And I could tell how the monthly cost increased when I added one and removed the other.

Shop around. Not all insurers are the same.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 00:09   #3
Cubit

I encountered this problem when I bought a van for work.
Had to build up a second No Claims history in tandem to the existing one.
Cubit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubit For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 05:27   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sadly insurers have you over a barrel and make up the rules as they go along. Some will give you an "introductory discount" on your second car equivalent to 1-2 years NCB, other tightwads won't so you have to insure it as if you have no NCB at all.

Many other people have been caught by the same trap over the years, nothing gets done about it because many people who have many fingers in many pies get a nice "brown envelope" from those various pies.

Nothing can ever be proven to be outside the law of course so it just continues.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 07:38   #5
js90
VOC Member

I've had similar issues in the past when adding an XC60 alongside my S40. Made the argument to my insurer (Elephant at the time) that I'm only one man. I can only be driving one car at a time, so where is the increased risk? They left all of my official NCB on the S40 but changed their quote for the XC60 to take account of the NCB.

You should also be able to split the NCB between the cars, even if you've no prior experience driving one of them. That was actually suggested by one of my previous insurers.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to js90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 07:50   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I would insure the oldest as a classic car on 3,000 mile policy. You can state social domestic and pleasure etc and be factual but it will shred your premiums.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 07:51   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

Don’t forget that the risk is not just 5he driving whilst you are out and about in one car the one left at home could be stolen, burst into flames or have an uninsured driver smash into it and run off or many other risks. So not as simple as I can only drive one car so there is only one risk.

Have you tried one of the multi vehicle policies which are said to give discounts?
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 08:59   #8
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
I already own a 2005 V70 d5,never claimed in my 40 years of driving, my premium for next 12 months With Hastings was- £310, fully comp, after tackling them with a cheaper quote from - the AA which was-£227 they agreed to match it and reduce their premium by - £80. However in the last week i purchased another v70- same year, spec, colour, value and all, so i rang them today to see what the additional cost would be to put on my insurance- unbelievable- from £227 it jumped to- £805, now i purchased this latest car to fix a few problems on it and keep, but at those prices no way it really is a scam by the insurance companies to say -oh sir your 40 years of no claims driving can only count for 1 car, it really is a pi-- take, and how do they get away with it, this is the first time i have posted in this section such is the strong feeling that again the poor motorist is getting shafted again, i always thought that if you as an individual accruing how many years of NCD then this should be applicable to any car you drive, and them saying that your ncd goes out of the window for a second car is just blatant theft ,i am now in the predicament of having to sell this latest car due to the greedy, thieving set of ba---rds they are, and our government is just as bad for letting them get away with it.-Gripe over-[for now].
Feeling better for getting that out of your system? It’s standard industry practice to generate an NCD on each car. Nothing to do with the Government, it’s the insurance industry. Shop around, it’s what the comparison sites are for.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 12:05   #9
sv70

Thanks all, yes i do feel better getting that of my chest and i always do the comparison sites to get the best prices, but i think on this one i am fighting a losing battle, i will try other avenues and see what happens, regarding your ncd
applies on the car and not on you, that's like saying-oh yes it's the car that has been driving careful all those years you was just a passenger, by the same token if you asked for a quote on a car that hasn't had a claim in 40 years would they say it's £9.99 sir well done, i don't think so, like has been said they change the goalposts to make sure they score everytime.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 12:37   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
I've alway found Admiral to be really good. I've got the multicar policy with three cars on and I think my V70 is £138.00 fully comp for the year
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: