Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 T5 Cat.

Views : 593

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 21:59   #1
Andrew850

Default S70 T5 Cat.

Hi,

The exhaust cat on my 1999 S70 T5 has split and is now blowing badly. It's too thin and corroded to be welded so I need a replacement but I can't source one from the usual suppliers.

A few sellers are advertising new cats on eBay made by a British company called BM. The price seems reasonable - does anyone have any experience of this company??

Thanks,

Andrew.
Andrew850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 21:04   #2
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew850 View Post
Hi,

The exhaust cat on my 1999 S70 T5 has split and is now blowing badly. It's too thin and corroded to be welded so I need a replacement but I can't source one from the usual suppliers.

A few sellers are advertising new cats on eBay made by a British company called BM. The price seems reasonable - does anyone have any experience of this company??

Thanks,

Andrew.

My friend has a 1998 t5 and he fitted an aftermarket CAT and it was a nightmare it regularly had the MIL on for lambda faults and catalyst efficiency ect I managed to get a second hand one from Adam@ readview garage they are a Volvo independent and breaks a few the car has been great since fitting the second hand one I've MOTed it a few times and it passes the emissions test with no problems
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 12:21   #3
volvo again
Master Member

Try Klarius website...

http://webcat.klarius.eu/cgi-bin/cat...dy=Saloon&kid=

You may have to login to their site, or look for Klarius 322881, seems to be the same part no for V70

Last edited by volvo again; Apr 9th, 2021 at 12:23.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 00:51   #4
Andrew850

Hi,

Since my post about the cat. things haven't gone well. I found that genuine cats aren't available so I ordered a pattern one and had it fitted by the independent garage I've used for years.

The car ran well when I collected it from the garage but the following day it started running rough and the engine management light came on. I limped down to the garage and they read the fault code - it was the lambda sensor downstream of the cat. They recommend replacing both lambda sensors - NGK is what the local supplier can get.

I think it's highly unlikely that the lambda sensor(s) have failed. I suspect that what AndrewC1256 said is what is happening - the pattern cat isn't suitable for the car.

I've brought the original cat home and am going to try to repair it with chemical metal and to put it back on the car - and try to get a refund from ebay. If the car runs well with the repaired cat I'll try to source a good used genuine cat.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Ai.
Andrew850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 09:05   #5
4x4
I roll

Not sure if would be possible but if it was me I would speak to my local stainless steel exhaust shop and ask if they can make a new outer shell for the CAT
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 09:46   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I usually go to my local custom exhaust place - they've fitted many full systems for me with 200 cell 'sports' cats - I've never had an issue with the MIL light afterwards. I usually fit new lambda sensors while I'm at it - NTK ones as it happens, they've been fine despite some people saying that only Bosch ones will work.

NB I don't think that a repair using chemical metal (or similar) will work - the cat gets very very hot as part of the chemical process to scrub the exhaust gases, so its likely that either the repair will fail, or else there will be a chemical reaction with the repair material itself causing the cat internals to become contaminated, and most likely the downstream lambda sensor if you have one.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 11:57   #7
volvo again
Master Member

Hmmm...read this with interest,
I'm just about to replace my system and have ordered a BM90265 cat along with Klarius rear pipe/box VO211
Was hoping to use the original lambda sensors
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 13:07   #8
volvo again
Master Member

Talking of Lambda sensors...has anybody used the universal fit types?
Any good / easy to fit?
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 17:48   #9
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Talking of Lambda sensors...has anybody used the universal fit types?
Any good / easy to fit?
They are not the b st option the rear lambda may be alright but I replaced the front 5wire one on my v70r ME7 and had nothing but trouble MIL on every few days I replaced with a genuine and all was good
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 17:49   #10
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew850 View Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Andrew.
Don't scrap the old cat these are being stolen because of the precious metals contained they have a value