Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Control Arm/bushes

Views : 1453

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 14:21   #11
CaerYnArfon

Hi just had a mare with replacing the front ball joints on my 2010. Bought 2 x Meyele ball joints not cheap ones but half decent and many good reviews.

Could I get the b******s in? could I b****x, even after thoroughly cleaning and wire brushing the "receiving hole"?, froze them overnight, heated the hole up.... nothing got one stuck half way in and couldn;t get it further....

Sorry, please pardon the language... just venting a bit.

So I bought 2 x Genuine Volvo ball joints from Skandix, (91 euros each) and with the assistance of my neighbour they went in a treat. Still needed a fairly hefty persuader but way easier.

Out of interest I verniered the diameter and there was a 0.15mm to 0.2mm difference between the two makes (Volvo being smaller than the Meyele)

Would recommend buying a Ball joint pulling kit though. made it a site easier.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 22:55   #12
oragex
Premier Member

The joy of aftermarket parts.. Good thing you couldn't fit those Meyle, forget online reviews, people put good reviews even just upon received the box, or because they 'think' the part looks like a quality one. Let alone after driving with the parts for 6-12months. Some even think that because is made in Germany is has to be good (so false). By the way, Lemforder makes the Volvo ones on the S60 - perhaps same for the XC90 - look on the old ones at the bottom plate for a small triangle - the Lemforder mark
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 17:50   #13
glengibson

Think I'm leaning towards fitting Powerflex bushes.
what are they like to get into the control arm?
glengibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 21:56   #14
robertsmart

I used a vice to fit my powerflex poly bushes. It's not too bad a job. The biggest pain is getting the old ones pushed out.