Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need a V50 T5!!!!

Views : 5374

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2020, 17:15   #91
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
LoB, are you definitely sure you have to pay any tax to import a car from RoI to UK whilst the UK is still in the EU?....
No - Im not, thats actually something I thought UK people can confirm/deny. I know that getting any car the other way (UK->ROI) is stupidly expensive because of VRT that needs to be paid on cars imported here, but sometimes its the only option to get better specced car here. I thought it may be similar in UK but after some light research Im not sure anymore, it may be true its just matter of driving it over, handing keys&documents to new owner and he will only have to pay small fee to register it to UK plates.
Thats ofcourse while its still UE territory, no idea what happens next year. I havent decided anything yet and defo not ready to part with car this year in that matter, but just weighting all possible options...

foggyjames - yes, you are 100% right, this country is terrible for petrolheads because of VRT (import) tax and stupid road tax brackets. Road tax for my T5 is 1400e annually Thats why most cars here are poorer specs or small diesels as everyone here seem to be afraid any engine over 2ltr.
Pay up and cry, as they say only concellation (atleast for me) is that Im driving unicorn of a car and highly probable -the only AWD V50 in RoI. Not that it matters to most people, but does for me

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Nov 24th, 2020 at 17:19.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 09:33   #92
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Road tax for my T5 is 1400e annually
Four.........fourt........fourteen HUNDRED!

*dies*

Bloody hell mate - that's about 100.00 uk pounds per month!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 11:02   #93
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
foggyjames - yes, you are 100% right, this country is terrible for petrolheads because of VRT (import) tax and stupid road tax brackets. Road tax for my T5 is 1400e annually Thats why most cars here are poorer specs or small diesels as everyone here seem to be afraid any engine over 2ltr
Ouch! Presumably it makes your car (relatively) pretty quick on the road, though? I guess you get a fair load of Ford Ecoboosts, etc, but very few Merc AMGs, etc?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 11:03   #94
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Four.........fourt........fourteen HUNDRED!

*dies*

Bloody hell mate - that's about 100.00 uk pounds per month!

(laughing trough tears, though...)
Yea, Its a bit huh? and u know whats funny? thats not the highest brackets That kinda explains why older cars with high engines are almost non existent here. 2008+ are taxed differently (emissions) but anything prior to that, its simple "pay by size".
Im not irish native and originally it was shock to me aswell, separate (extorsion) road tax or the fact you insure driver not the car like in my country, but ah well, got used to it, cant do anything about it.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 21:14   #95
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88JCP View Post
There are no pictures but this has just cropped up on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Volv...i:254780342429

Maybe worth keeping an eye on
Down to £5k now if anyone is interested still?
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 19:52   #96
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Down to £5k now if anyone is interested still?
Funny enough he could have sold it two months ago when I made an offers to the price that he recently offered me the car for, instead of brushing off the offer that I made.

He's also changed the ad, to reflect that no warranty is given so sold as seen and the car will not receive a new MOT upon purchase.

I wish him well with the sale.

I am holding off buying a car until travel restrictions/lockdown etc have been lifted as click and collect from a garage is not something I want to do when buying a 12 year old V50.

V50 T5 R-Design SE

Last edited by Brimfull; Jan 10th, 2021 at 20:00.
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:45   #97
Markos01

Seems to be a glut of V50 T5s on Autotrader at the moment, what's going on?

Regrettably they're either Geartronic or mega miles. Or both. Nice ones really are like hen's teeth.