Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bonnet not locked before driving off. Popped up on motorway.

Views : 1715

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:24   #11
LucasSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
you could go max power style and put some bonnet pins on i suppose

http://www.carmate.com/product_detai...d=UNIUNABPCMBP

or the old 60's rally leather straps
How do they work? Do you have a physical cable linked to them?
LucasSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:30   #12
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

no you just pull the pin out and and allows the bonnet to open. the upright bolt needs a hole drilled in the slam panel, and the tricky bit is working out where to put the holes in the bonnet. or drill the bonnet holes first then drill the slam panel holes with a long drill bit with the bonnet shut... I'm not sure what the best method is actually

they're generally used when people put on the lightened carbon or composite bonnets and they lose the option of the latch. also you can remove the locking mech and that's weight saving

but in all seriousness it probably isn't necessary.. if you're unsure it might be best just to get a garage to have a look at the latch and see why it failed?.. maybe it just needs cleaning and regreasing or the spring failed to work properly or something

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 25th, 2021 at 22:35.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:51   #13
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The safety catch (as it is called in the US) on my '07 is fairly rusty and stiff.
I could easily see it jamming in the "uncatched" position.
After reading this I may just go out and lube it again (ha-ha).

Good luck with whatever course of action you end up taking repairing your car.
I'm all for some personal involvement. A little padded mallet work can be good for the soul.

A GREAT "First Car" story by the way. Glad there was no carnage.

edit: I agree with BlueRubber's post above. "If it was me and the damage to the bonnet and wings is only cosmetic I would ignore it...."

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Jan 26th, 2021 at 00:11.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 22:55   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Im trying to upload an image but my internet is having upload speed issues at the moment, typical..

essentially, when you open the bonnet you see the latch attached. The lever swings it left to right. as you're looking at it, without pressing the lever, it should be fully left and when you press the lever and then let go it should 'clunk' into place back fully to the left. right?

so basically the hook part connects to a piece under the slam panel hidden from your view and because it is sprung to the left it is latched and therefore mechanically impossible for it to let the bonnet open. also the big spring behind that latch not only pops the bonnet up but should also keep pressure on the latch and helps to stop it from moving when pressed up against the pin

without the picture this is probably just waffle lol

you want to make sure that the mech attached to the bonnet moves very freely and springs fully back when you 'ping' it if that makes sense. that's what I'd check first

or short version.. what Georgeandkira said

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 25th, 2021 at 22:58.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 07:31   #15
reggit
Premier Member

God that looks scary! Glad you got it stopped safely.

As others have said, the safety catch that you have to release with the sliding lever should have held it, that’s it’s purpose. Definitely check it’s operating properly and smoothly and lube up and work the main latch as well.

Unfortunately these cars don’t have a ‘bonnet open’ warning message.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 09:44   #16
LucasSilver

Quote:
Im trying to upload an image but my internet is having upload speed issues at the moment, typical..

essentially, when you open the bonnet you see the latch attached. The lever swings it left to right. as you're looking at it, without pressing the lever, it should be fully left and when you press the lever and then let go it should 'clunk' into place back fully to the left. right?

so basically the hook part connects to a piece under the slam panel hidden from your view and because it is sprung to the left it is latched and therefore mechanically impossible for it to let the bonnet open. also the big spring behind that latch not only pops the bonnet up but should also keep pressure on the latch and helps to stop it from moving when pressed up against the pin

without the picture this is probably just waffle lol

you want to make sure that the mech attached to the bonnet moves very freely and springs fully back when you 'ping' it if that makes sense. that's what I'd check first

or short version.. what Georgeandkira said
I'll have a look at it mate. On the other hand we're talking going at 70mph so that's a considerable amount of force. Just a thought 😊
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:54   #17
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

The back-up lever is even hooked slightly so it should definitely hold the bonnet.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:16   #18
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasSilver View Post
I'll have a look at it mate. On the other hand we're talking going at 70mph so that's a considerable amount of force. Just a thought 😊
The car's good for 120+mph depending on model and the safety catch is there to cope with all speeds/situations. The most likely cause of failure is lack of maintenance to both the locks and the saftey catch. Sub zero temperatures could have contributed to the situation if water had got into the mechanisms and frozen, thus blocking the mechanisms from moving, but if they are all oiled regularly that shouldn't happen. They're Swedish!
Liberally spray all the locks and saftey catch with wd40 to ensure that all is moving freely then lubricate with a thin oil such as 3 in 1.
Well done for controlling the car and bringing it to a stop safely; the thought of the potential consequences for you and other drivers around you is quite horrifying.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:25   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasSilver View Post
it is but I agree with others that the catch should be more than strong enough, they test these things pretty rigorously. generally in engineering they employ a multiplication factor and test it to probably 10x what is necessary

I still prefer the 3xx series method of opening in the other direction

mini project - link
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 20:13   #20
LucasSilver

Quote:
it is but I agree with others that the catch should be more than strong enough, they test these things pretty rigorously. generally in engineering they employ a multiplication factor and test it to probably 10x what is necessary

I still prefer the 3xx series method of opening in the other direction
Fair enough. It wouldn't have happened if I checked it was closed though. It pays to pay attention eh. I actually didn't know it should hold so that's another thing learned today