Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need a V50 T5!!!!

Views : 5426

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:13   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfull View Post
Its not the mechanical bits that worry me with high mileage its the wear and tear that the bodywork and interior suffer with.
You might be surprised - my ex 2005 V70 D5 had 400k on it when I sold it, and the body was near enough perfect (aside from one dodgy colour match, but there's plenty of low-mile cars with a repaired bumper corner). The interior was very good, too. So....I know what you mean, but it's not automatic that high milers are trashed. You'd have guessed mine had maybe 100k on it.

They just didn't sell many T5s. This was peak diesel time - there must have been 20+ 2.0Ds for every T5 sold. My Dad has one (59-plate R-Design, in DrivE Green, which is the only questionable bit!), but it took him a fair while to find the right example. If spec bothers you, I'd get that blue one and wrap it - there's not many about with Dynaudio, etc!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:23   #22
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
You might be surprised - my ex 2005 V70 D5 had 400k on it when I sold it, and the body was near enough perfect (aside from one dodgy colour match, but there's plenty of low-mile cars with a repaired bumper corner). The interior was very good, too. So....I know what you mean, but it's not automatic that high milers are trashed. You'd have guessed mine had maybe 100k on it.

They just didn't sell many T5s. This was peak diesel time - there must have been 20+ 2.0Ds for every T5 sold. My Dad has one (59-plate R-Design, in DrivE Green, which is the only questionable bit!), but it took him a fair while to find the right example. If spec bothers you, I'd get that blue one and wrap it - there's not many about with Dynaudio, etc!

cheers

James
I know what you mean with high mileage as I have had Saabs and Mercs with 140k+ miles on them that were in great condition.

However the V50 is based on mk2 Ford focus and I have plenty of experience with these Focus's and by the time they reach 80-90k miles the interiors are usually battered. I have heard that the V50 is not quite the same quality as the V70's. I am looking at V50 as they are more compact estate as I don't need the size of say a V70, otherwise I would go for V70.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:41   #23
Welton
Premier Member

Ford's meddling didn't affect the interior quality in my view - certainly with mine at 110k miles the interior is still spot on, no scuffs, nothing broken, no real rattles to speak of.

The biggest, well only, negative brought in by Ford was the Suspension!

It's been said here before if you put a Focus next to a S40/V50 the 'feel/fitment' is miles apart.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:52   #24
Brimfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Ford's meddling didn't affect the interior quality in my view - certainly with mine at 110k miles the interior is still spot on, no scuffs, nothing broken, no real rattles to speak of.

The biggest, well only, negative brought in by Ford was the Suspension!

It's been said here before if you put a Focus next to a S40/V50 the 'feel/fitment' is miles apart.
What did Ford do to the suspension? The MK2 Focus and especially the ST have always been praised for their handling. I take it the V50 has a different set up then?

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 17:09   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think the quality of the seat materials went downhill on both Ford-based platforms (P1 and P3), although I think that was general cost-cutting rather than a direct matter of sharing materials.

The suspension is of the same design, although the set-up is softer on the Volvos. Presumably fitting Ford springs, dampers and roll bars (or aftermarket tailored versions) would go a long way to addressing that. They're stiffer than older Volvos, and that can take some getting used to - but it's horses for courses - you can't have sharp handling and excellent ride comfort with steel springs and conventional dampers. People have got so used to bone-shaking German ride that that's now seen as the norm!

But yeah...if you're used to buying a Volvo and getting a motorway armchair (and there's a lot to be said for that), a P1 might be a shock.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 19:12   #26
Brimfull

How common is the cracked liner problem? I see a lot of Focus st advertised as having had the block liner mod carried out.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:45   #27
lordbasil

Sorry to butt in but I maybe selling my 2.0D R-Design Sport V50 - 08 reg - 123k on the clock

Spent £2k since February on it including service & MOT

Had all 4 corners suspension done - clutch & DMF about 2 years ago

Turbo Control valve & 2 new front tyres & o/s/f calipre within the last few months as well.

I only do 7K mileage a year so looking at buying a 2l Petrol C30 (my last chance at my age for a mid life crisis car)

I've owned it 3+ years and got all receipts
lordbasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:14   #28
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfull View Post
How common is the cracked liner problem? I see a lot of Focus st advertised as having had the block liner mod carried out.
Not very common on Volvos. Aggressive maps and caning the car seems to be why so many Focuses suffer with it. I had the block mod as it wasn’t that much more when doing the cambelt but if keeping the car standard I personally wouldn’t see it as necessary.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:26   #29
M88JCP

Have you seen this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40...gAAOSwxx5fdClJ
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 07:30   #30
Brimfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88JCP View Post
Yes, unfortunately it's an auto advertised as a manual otherwise it would have hit the bill and worth a visit.

V50 T5 R-Design SE

Last edited by Brimfull; Oct 27th, 2020 at 07:38.