Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 D5 Gearbox Fluid Change

Views : 2770

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 15:15   #1
XCR
Master Member

Default XC70 D5 Gearbox Fluid Change

Your recommendations for trusted garages in the North East please guys.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 23:30   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

FYI, you can save yourself about £100 doing it yourself, down here, my local indy wanted £150 to double flush with trans fluid.

I paid £40 for 20L Mannol off of eBay, plus the gaskets from Volvo oh and ya need a long funnel
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 11:28   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post

Little bit of a trek up the A19 for you, but for the last 10 years I have used Autofix at Silver Link, just through the Tyne Tunnel.

Absolutely brilliant to deal with, very knowledgeable and most of all, not there to rip anyone off.

That said, it is not hard to do it yourself and Smith &Allan at Darlington do 20 ltrs of fluid for about £70

https://autofixnortheastltd.co.uk/

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 20th, 2021 at 11:30.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 14:48   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I did it myself if you are interested? I am happy to go over how you do it if you wish, it’s not very hard if you are mechanically minded (remove the engine under shield, and air box. Open some bolts and drain/top up.

You will do it far far better than a garage will in my opinion and to a much higher standard.

Failing that it’s not a difficult operation so any decent transmission place should be able to do it.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 16:57   #5
XCR
Master Member

Thanks very much for the replies gents,

I've watched a few how-to videos and while I enjoy saving money I'd currently be working in the street ......in the pi55ing rain.....so its off to a good indy I think...
I've rung a few places and I'm not exactly overfilled with confidence but I'm currently waiting on a call back from Autofix - thanks for that.
I don't mind the drive at all, the thing is they aren't offering 'while you wait' appointments...due to covid.
I suppose I could drop off the car and walk round an industrial estate for eight hours....in the pi55ing rain....that sounds like a tempting day out !

All suggestions welcome.

The car is otherwise superb, just a lazy change up the box.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 19:57   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the replies gents,

I've watched a few how-to videos and while I enjoy saving money I'd currently be working in the street ......in the pi55ing rain.....so its off to a good indy I think...
I've rung a few places and I'm not exactly overfilled with confidence but I'm currently waiting on a call back from Autofix - thanks for that.
I don't mind the drive at all, the thing is they aren't offering 'while you wait' appointments...due to covid.
I suppose I could drop off the car and walk round an industrial estate for eight hours....in the pi55ing rain....that sounds like a tempting day out !

All suggestions welcome.

The car is otherwise superb, just a lazy change up the box.
In that case I would probably be tempted to buy the fluid myself and supply to them, or to double check they use the correct spec as standard ATF is not good for it.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 21:36   #7
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I paid £40 for 20L Mannol off of eBay
Assume that isn't AW-1? Best price I can find for 20L of that is more like £100.
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 22:17   #8
XCR
Master Member

I'm not about to buy cheap fluid, or give the impression that I don't trust the garage to not swindle me, but short of looking over their shoulder (verboten)...I'm not sure what to do.

The car had been standing for some time and drove really sluggishly on the drive home, but now it rarely misbehaves. In fact, going out just now the up changes are all occurring at around 2200 RPM and the car feels livelier the more I drive it.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 22:19   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm not about to buy cheap fluid, or give the impression that I don't trust the garage to not swindle me, but short of looking over their shoulder (verboten)...I'm not sure what to do.

The car had been standing for some time and drove really sluggishly on the drive home, but now it rarely misbehaves. In fact, going out just now the up changes are all occurring at around 2200 RPM and the car feels livelier the more I drive it.
You will be absolutely fine, it’s a doddle. Me personally I would phone up Volvo first to confirm it takes JWS-3309 for example (don’t know what year it is).

Then just say to the garage can you change it with JWS-3309. I think anywhere would do it without incidence.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 22:54   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
Assume that isn't AW-1? Best price I can find for 20L of that is more like £100.
Yeah my bad, should have said 10L, it's just under £40