Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Gauge

Views : 2885

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:57   #41
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim

If I were you, just fill it to the top every 200 miles to be safe+ keep a red can of fuel in the boot!!
Yeah I think thats the most cost effective and easiest way of doing it
Im not gonna start tracing wiring faults. I know this is a common problem on the 7 series of volvo's so i'll accept that.

Incidently the fuel gauge is reading just above half after about 70 miles, which, after the way ive been driving it on this current tank of fuel, might not be too far out. Have to wait and see what the gauge says after 200 miles.

Thanks as always for all the helpful advice
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 22:39   #42
James_N
VOC Member

further to my post above, I'm off to le mans in June (and camping throughout the weekend) so obviously the Volvo estate is the ideal candidate for the job, however, its 520 miles there, and 520 back. Now, fuel. The new road down to le mans doesnt have a fuel stop for 80 miles so its recommended to have plenty of fuel when you get out of calais.

So, realisticly, for my information, what sort of MPG can i expect from my fully loaded 740GLE estate at around 70-80mph on a long run? (stafford > dover then calais > le mans) so that sort of long run.

And secondly, Is it dangerous to permantly carry a can of fuel in the boot? Soon in the summer, im going to push the volvo untill it runs out just to see how many miles i can get to a tank. Now as i hardly ever venture out of my hometown of stafford, its not going to be much of a problem when i do run out.

Carrying a can of fuel in the boot or in the compartment where the spare wheel is, has crossed my mind multiple times, and it would put my mind at rest if i did run out (At the moment i always worry about the fuel situation), so is it dangerous? and also, i dont want the car constantly smelling of petrol, is there anyway to avoid this? or will it eventually stop smelling after a while.

CHeers
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 23:43   #43
LankyTim
Missing the point

If you get a decent green plastic fuel container youll be ok, they dont leak and dont smell. Ive had no problems when ive carried them. Its maybe worth baring in mind that if you do deliberately run your car out of fuel youll suck up all the debris and dirt into the engine and cause a blockage.

Id estimate your MPG would be about 25ish, but it could be much lower!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 00:41   #44
James_N
VOC Member

so going from what peter said a few posts back , 300 miles from a tank would be acceptable.

Im presuming theres no real danger to carrying a can of petrol in the boot?
I know i worry too much but hey thats me