Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 843410

Replies : 6340

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2023, 15:58   #5751
Dippydog
Premier Member

A second suggestion[as she's Swedish and it's part of the number plate] how about Helga.
As a nod to the main point of this thread has this one been noted before? E-bay item number 325859230399.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 18:09   #5752
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Astrid.
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 18:50   #5753
Steve 940
Premier Member

Cheers chaps, some great suggestions, but I think my being a child of the 70's, its got to be Margo.

Dave, Bianca was a great shout, although it immediately made me shudder with Eastender connotations rather than those of a Jagger variety. She may also not remain white...... I will expand on the new 145 project thread I will hopefully post later

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 19:41   #5754
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Cheers chaps, some great suggestions, but I think my being a child of the 70's, its got to be Margo.

Dave, Bianca was a great shout, although it immediately made me shudder with Eastender connotations rather than those of a Jagger variety. She may also not remain white...... I will expand on the new 145 project thread I will hopefully post later

Cheers
Steve
Please, please, don't change the colour. Unless you are going to do a full strip right back to a bare shell a colour change is very difficult to do. Also, you will immediately devalue the car as originality is what folks want in a classic. That is assuming white is the original colour!
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 20:12   #5755
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
Surbiton trumps Walford i guess!

Have to confess i'd forgotten about "R-I-C-K-AY!!!" Bianca from EastEnders, something to do with the fact it's about 20 years since i was last forced to watch it by the ex-wife. Those two memories alone would be enough to make me retract the suggestion!

I'd also say keep the colour original, a non-original colour would definitely devalue it. If you really want to change the colour, have it wrapped - that way if you ever want to sell, you can return it to the original colour fairly easily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 20:14   #5756
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Surbiton trumps Walford i guess!

Have to confess i'd forgotten about "R-I-C-K-AY!!!" Bianca from EastEnders, something to do with the fact it's about 20 years since i was last forced to watch it by the ex-wife. Those two memories alone would be enough to make me retract the suggestion!

I'd also say keep the colour original, a non-original colour would definitely devalue it. If you really want to change the colour, have it wrapped - that way if you ever want to sell, you can return it to the original colour fairly easily.
If you want a blue one, have a look around, see what is out there!

ONLY KIDDING.😱
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 20:38   #5757
Steve 940
Premier Member

I knew throwing mention of a colour change would be a proverbial hand grenade, and I do understand everyone has valid points.

Obviously I’ve been looking for, let’s just say a while, so I’ve had an ‘ideal’ image in my head, and I just have a ‘thing’ for midnight blue having seen an absolutely stunning Bentley in midnight with a tan interior, looked absolutely wonderful. A bit like the photo attached.

Not to worry, I plan to run it for a year, so I will be able see how I feel about colour. I do quite like the white, we shall have to see.

Understand changes will impact on values, but my intention to go back to bare metal in a year or so, makes no financial sense at all anyway.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.jpg (141.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Steve 940; Oct 24th, 2023 at 20:41.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 21:46   #5758
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I knew throwing mention of a colour change would be a proverbial hand grenade, and I do understand everyone has valid points.

Obviously I’ve been looking for, let’s just say a while, so I’ve had an ‘ideal’ image in my head, and I just have a ‘thing’ for midnight blue having seen an absolutely stunning Bentley in midnight with a tan interior, looked absolutely wonderful. A bit like the photo attached.

Not to worry, I plan to run it for a year, so I will be able see how I feel about colour. I do quite like the white, we shall have to see.

Understand changes will impact on values, but my intention to go back to bare metal in a year or so, makes no financial sense at all anyway.

Cheers
Steve
Midnight Blue 145s rot like wildfire Steve! You'll never find one! If you paint this one Midnight Blue, it also will disintgrate before your very eyes!

Only kidding but seriously, consider a wrap for the colour change if you really do want to go down that road. If you really do want to paint it, i'd suggest Rover Oxford Blue, technically it's a pearlescent colour so it's "midnight blue metallic" but the colour looks "old enough" to not be out of place on the 145 but is a modern enough colour to be able to use the newer paints (although i daresay they can mix any colour with modern paint), second choice would be Ford Midnight Blue from the late 70s/early 80s, very similar colour to that Bentley. There is also a Rover blue that is solid, i think also called Midnight, both those last two would be easier to spray and get right but the Rover colour is a 2-pack so would still need a clear lacquer.

I think there's also a Volv colour that is somewhere near but is darker, almost black so whether that would fit you ideal is another matter.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 22:09   #5759
ITSv40
VOC Member

Ah, that Bentley S1 HJ Mulliner Continental Fastback is just pure class, 300 - 400,000 £ worth of class.

The period Volvo colour is Royal Blue. My first 145S was in dark blue with the exact same colour interior as Steve's. I used to refer to it as Navy Blue, but was corrected by the local Volvo dealer as Royal Blue. It really did look well polished up - that was back in the days of Simoniz Hard Wax,in the yellow tin - and lots and lots of elbow grease.

I don't have many photos of it, but will try to find one and post up.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 23:10   #5760
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Ah, that Bentley S1 HJ Mulliner Continental Fastback is just pure class, 300 - 400,000 £ worth of class.

The period Volvo colour is Royal Blue. My first 145S was in dark blue with the exact same colour interior as Steve's. I used to refer to it as Navy Blue, but was corrected by the local Volvo dealer as Royal Blue. It really did look well polished up - that was back in the days of Simoniz Hard Wax,in the yellow tin - and lots and lots of elbow grease.

I don't have many photos of it, but will try to find one and post up.
Love to see your Royal Blue 145s photos, and yes it was a Bentley very similar to the photo I saw, and it was a proverbial jaw dropper. The combination of midnight blue paint and dark tan interior were subtle and understated, much like a Volvo I’d like to think.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: