Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Error code P2004? Air control actuator

Views : 3344

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 15:11   #1
baconkev

Question Error code P2004? Air control actuator

Hello!

I bought my first xc90 last week. Everything seems fine with it but I got the Engine service required message on the dash.

After looking it up on here it seems that the oil is potentially too full, checked it out, it was the case! but I decided to scan the engine faults with the Torque app and not only is it giving me the oil level code it's also giving me P2004

The torque app reckons 'Intake Manifold Air Control Actuator/Solenoid Bank 1 Stuck Open'

I looked it up on the forum and I think I found the bit. Mine still seems to be intact, so a possible fault with the motor/electrics. Is there a way to test the part and... am I looking at the right part
https://imgur.com/a/WZbTiky

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
baconkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 15:59   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That's the swirl flap controller and linkage to the swirl flaps in the intake manifold.

Observe the linkage and have an assistant start and stop the motor 10 times.

Every 5th time (I think), the ECM (engine control module) exercises the swirlflap motor over it's movement range to ensure it doesn't stick.

Observe yours. Does it move at all? Does it try and move?
If no movement, disconnect the arm at the balljoint carefully and see what is jammed.
You should be able to move the swirlflaps by hand quite easily.
Do the same start-run-stop test of the motor and see if the swirl flap motor arm moves when not connected to the swirlflaps.

You should be able to quickly tell if it is the motor (easy) or the swirlflaps (harder) which are faulty.
If swirlflaps, then the intake manifold must come off to access and replace the flaps as needed. Most often a job for a garage.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 17:43   #3
baconkev

Thanks for the really detailed reply. I went and had a look. It seemed reluctant to move at first but after a few startups it moved alot more. Have a posted a video link below.

http://imgur.com/a/jicAGf2

The actuator does seem to be working, I scanned the codes again and now I'm getting a slightly different one.. P2008 but description looks like its the same issue.

Thanks
baconkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 20:57   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The movement looks normal

Taking my 2009 XC90 as a reference, here is the data from VIDA

Swirl throttle
The swirl throttle consists of a DC motor (12 V), position sensor (Hall sensor) and throttle link arms. The swirl duct generates a swirl motion in the intake air for more efficient combustion at low engine speed.

and

The engine has a stepless, variable swirl system located on the cylinder head. The swirl system rotates the air in the combustion chamber for effective combustion. Variable swirl enables fine adjustment of combustion, for effective combustion and low emissions. At idling speed, the damper is closed and air rotation (swirl) is high to facilitate combustion of the soot particles.

The higher the engine speed (rpm) and torque, the more the throttle opens and the swirl is reduced, to improve power / performance.

If you are getting an incorrect swirl flap position error, then it can only be the actuator position sensor.
Disconnect the actuator, ensure the connector is clean and free of corrosion.

If all looks OK, consider a replacement swirl throttle (2nd hand or new)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old May 20th, 2019, 20:58   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

One more important thing:
Use VIDA.
Do not trust the generic code reader any further. It doesn't give the detail that VIDA gives... as you are already experiencing.

Tags
xc90 2006