Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK might be changing their attitude!

Views : 3315

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 21:28   #11
T-5tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-5ones View Post
I was told the ETM had failed and was expecting the very worse but to my surprise the final bill was just under £200.00.

Apparently Volvo UK supplied the etm to the dealer at cost and then a good will gesture of 20% was also paid for. Maybe, just maybe we are getting through to Volvo UK. Please keep the pressure up, I think its working.
Just got my quote through £375.00 thats with the 20% discount
Which dealer was this with? Now im really non plussed.
T-5tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 00:38   #12
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-5tu View Post
Just got my quote through £375.00 thats with the 20% discount
Which dealer was this with? Now im really non plussed.
Lloyds Volvo, Carlisle. I'd get a few different quotes if I were you. Good luck.

Tim
T-5ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 13:17   #13
T-5tu

Thanks, any chance you could give me a breakdown of the exact price? This makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow now. Especially since from what ive been reading we get a recon unit that could potentially fail again, and if out of the standard 12 month warrenty land us right back at square 1.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 19:58   #14
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Quote:
Thanks, any chance you could give me a breakdown of the exact price? This makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow now. Especially since from what ive been reading we get a recon unit that could potentially fail again, and if out of the standard 12 month warrenty land us right back at square 1.
I'll try to Pm you the info tomorrow as the invoice is at work. If i havnt by monday evening, please pm me with a reminder. Yes its a bitter pill to swallow, only its slightly smaller pill than it used to be but it still gets stuck in your wallet.

Yes it is a poor design and the replacement unit will fail again at sometime.

Yes, its bound to be out of the 12 month warranty. Welcome to the "Ive been $h1t apon by volvo UK" club.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 21:59   #15
T-5tu

Thanks in advance!! It might be a slightly lesser burdon on the wallet if i have proof that other dealerships are charging less. Looks like a trade in could be in order just before the 12 months warrenty is up, for a model that is not affected. I love the car just hate the inferior italian electronics that go with it. Still gonna get legal and hit them with trading standards and CC no matter what the cost, but for the fact ive had a recon unit fitted that is still potentially dangerous and not upto the job. We'll see what monday brings. Cheers Stu
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 22:41   #16
T-5tu

I spoke to the service manager of Rybrook Volvo this morning, and told her under no circumstance, was i prepared to accept a bill of nearly £400 for fitting of a replacement ETM, when people elsewhere in the UK had been charged around £200 for the same job. I threatened them with trading standards and small claims court. Low and behold when i went to collect the car the total bill including VAT came to a more wallet friendly £209.90. The service rep spent about 10 minutes wittering on about how the original quote had been a mistake and something to do with labour costs which they charged to Volvo uk blah blah blah... He could not tell me weather it was a recon unit or if the one they took off was original or replacement, just that they had not YET had any replacement unit's fail. Makes you wonder really, if they had had the part in on Friday and the job been done then, would i have been re embursed for the difference in cost from the original quote? I think not. It comes to something in this day and age when youve got to go smacking off in order to not get taken for a ride They stated that 12 months warrenty was compulsary, and a Volvo contribution decreasing from 100% thereafter would be in force should the replacemant unit fail, i guess only time will tell. I was very suspicious about the apparent lack of knowledge they have over this issue and the MM and Bosch ETM, and i was left feeling that they know a lot more than there letting on. Thankfully there are the good people here to educate us and give us the ammunition we need to go in and stand our ground and not let these people walk all over us coz they think we dont have a clue. Many thanks to all here.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:46   #17
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
I spoke to the service manager of Rybrook Volvo this morning, and told her under no circumstance, was i prepared to accept a bill of nearly £400 for fitting of a replacement ETM, when people elsewhere in the UK had been charged around £200 for the same job. I threatened them with trading standards and small claims court. Low and behold when i went to collect the car the total bill including VAT came to a more wallet friendly £209.90. The service rep spent about 10 minutes wittering on about how the original quote had been a mistake and something to do with labour costs which they charged to Volvo uk blah blah blah... He could not tell me weather it was a recon unit or if the one they took off was original or replacement, just that they had not YET had any replacement unit's fail. Makes you wonder really, if they had had the part in on Friday and the job been done then, would i have been re embursed for the difference in cost from the original quote? I think not. It comes to something in this day and age when youve got to go smacking off in order to not get taken for a ride They stated that 12 months warrenty was compulsary, and a Volvo contribution decreasing from 100% thereafter would be in force should the replacemant unit fail, i guess only time will tell. I was very suspicious about the apparent lack of knowledge they have over this issue and the MM and Bosch ETM, and i was left feeling that they know a lot more than there letting on. Thankfully there are the good people here to educate us and give us the ammunition we need to go in and stand our ground and not let these people walk all over us coz they think we dont have a clue. Many thanks to all here.
Good to hear you received a decent bill..
The most likely reason they have not had any replacements back as failed - they will also last about the 100k miles or so - depending on driving habits.
But then, they weren't expecting people to be coming back with failed ETM's either... !!

You can tell a reconned/replaced ETM as it will have a yellow label on the front, not a white one.. There should be a picture of the two in these ETM topics..

Luck with the future..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 18:47   #18
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Quote:

I knew I would forget. Sorry I am a cynical so and so and believe the issue is very well known by all dealers who just try to gloss over/appear to have lack of knowledge of the subject. Stand up for your selves as they are still making money out of us, just not as much as they usually do!

Info for those who might be in the same situation. Rough figures of my bill including approx 20% discount were as follows...

£136 Etm throttle housing
£0.75 software and etm reload
£0.25 Gasget
£57 labour
£29 VAT

£195 total

Lloyd Volvo of Carlisle were very, very good on this occasion and could not do enough for me. They didn't need squeezing on price as it was already discounted when I came to pay.