Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wipers

Views : 1224

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 18:49   #1
850gle

Default Wipers

I've been quoted £166 including VAT to change the motor on the rear wiper blade of my 850 Estate.
It recently gave up on the motorway in the pouring rain.
The motor is approx £110 and it's half an hour labour.
Does this sound reasonable?

Also, has anyone had problems with their front blades coming loose?
I have to tighten the nuts up every 6 months otherwise they go slack and end up sticking out over the wings. Is this an 850 trait?

regards
850gle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 19:10   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: Wipers

If the garage does the job make sure that the plastic cover is put back on properly. If you do it yourself there is a good chance that you will break the clips/fixings but there is a repair kit available. Its a real sod if the cover is not held securely as the back door slams and comes loose eventually. With your front wipers the softer ally bites into the harder splines on the tapered drive bolts. Take the wiper arm off, clean the splines adding some locktite to the joint and tighten up to the correct torque(sorry dont know what it is) Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 20:59   #3
Dave_G

I fixed mine myself. The motor is made by Bosch so you could try them to see if they sell it cheaper. I removed mine and found it didn't turn when I applied 12v so I removed the cover from the gear mechanism and found that all the grease was packed to one side. I spread the grease around evenly and then it worked fine. Unfortunately, the alloy mechanism was also seized solid, I priced this from Volvo and they wanted over £150 plus vat just for that!!! I got one for £30 from a Volvo breakers and it all works fine. If they remove it and decide that both parts are seized you could end up with a bill for over £300!!!!