Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 vs 740

Views : 22353

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2016, 15:51   #71
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
In my humble opinion, my Avensis has many of the best qualities of the older Volvos: solidity, reliability, practicality, safety, confort. I'd be a bit wary of diesels, though: they have a reputation for head gasket failure. I did my research and bought a petrol.
Thanks for letting me know. What MPG do you get out of your petrol avensis and what engine size is it? I am thinking petrol with lpg to keep it simple.
We bought a new corolla 1.4 D4D and it was faultless in the 2 years of ownership, which you would hope being new! I would want to pay no more than £1500 for a second car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish boy View Post
Great comments and interesting reading.

I love the side profile of my 740. Looks like a proper classic.

http://i64.tinypic.com/339kgmv.jpg
I really like the 740 and 240 saloons. Your 740 looks fantastic and a nice colour. Are they 740 turbo alloys (drayco)?

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Oct 17th, 2016 at 14:47. Reason: Quoted image too big
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 08:53   #72
irish boy
VOC Member

Cheers. Bought the wheels off a member on here actually and refurbished them.

Bought it with 36k and took it to 50k the first year, not one issue in that time. I then realised how rare they were in that condition so now it does 2k summer miles per year.
irish boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irish boy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 09:26   #73
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
negative

Interior plastics brittle.
Headliner can sag.
Early wiring harness can degrade and insulation can fall off!

James
The above points I find really irritating, if that's all you can say that's negative about a 700 then you're a little sad -

1. Interior plastic break when car is owned by clumsy oafs.

A. I have four, yes four 1986 700s, not one of them has broken plastics (I've had three other 700s, two sold to forum members, and no broken plastics there either).

2. Headliner can sag (well actually the glue fails and the cloth falls).

A. Is that really a problem, all you can complain about with a 30 year old car?

3. Wiring harness.

A. Not had a problem.

Negative with the 200, designed in the 60s, and drives like a an older car; in addition it goes very rusty - I've got one (1989 245DL).

Jon

N.B the above three points are those that the 200 tribe usually trot out when disrespecting 700 fans.

Last edited by tt82; Aug 19th, 2017 at 06:46. Reason: Irrelevant Statement.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 15:22   #74
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

A little less vitriolic with your replies Jon. Don't want to go getting into trouble again do we.
And cut the "former 700/900" lark too.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 22:00   #75
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Thanks for letting me know. What MPG do you get out of your petrol avensis and what engine size is it? I am thinking petrol with lpg to keep it simple.
We bought a new corolla 1.4 D4D and it was faultless in the 2 years of ownership, which you would hope being new! I would want to pay no more than £1500 for a second car.
Engine size is 2.0 l. Mpg: difficult to say! I think 33-34 mpg is realistic for A-road / m'way - but a lot of my driving currently is a shortish commute through town traffic, which pushes it well down into the 20s...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 23:06   #76
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Engine size is 2.0 l. Mpg: difficult to say! I think 33-34 mpg is realistic for A-road / m'way - but a lot of my driving currently is a shortish commute through town traffic, which pushes it well down into the 20s...
Ouch! I'm thinking Petrol but LPG is the answer. Seems to do the rough mpg of a 240 but probably a bit better if I worked out my mpg on my 240!

30 mpg is my guess for my 240 GLT Auto but probably much worse in traffic and my heavy right foot!

I can't understand more usage of LPG. Do the mainstream manufacturers produce LPG equipped cars? Seems more hybrid petrol/electric.

Thanks. James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 23:38   #77
DW42

I have a Toyota Avensis Verso 2.4 petrol as well as the Volvos. I've only calculated it in metric, being in Australia now, but the avensis uses between 9 and 10 litres per hundred km, while the 240s (both 2.3 LH 2.4 autos) use between 10 and 11. Not much difference really.

The avensis is not as nice to drive as a nicely set up 240, but it's quiet and the big doors are good for access. The only advantages of the avensis that I've found are easier access to the PCV valve (not that you need it), and draining the oil and changing the filter are less messy (oil doesn't end up on the engine mount). Access to everything else is either about the same (brakes and most suspension), or much worse in the avensis -- reliability is essential! If the avensis ever needs a new steering rack it will go to the scrappy. I found this out because the PS fluid was black, and I inquired about the rack. I changed the fluid and all's good. Phew.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 13:15   #78
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

A little less vitriolic with your replies Jon. Don't want to go getting into trouble again do we.
And cut the "former 700/900" lark too.

Des. . .
What's with the Hi Des ?

I don't think my comments are vitriolic - the comment is neither caustic nor hostile - no more so than the comments I've responded to (I see the plastics fixated Hazelgrove bully is on my case yet again). The"lark"Des, I am the former RK am I not ? Perhaps you could be a little more even handed in your moderation - I appreciate I'm not in your tribe but really.

So we're clear yes, I get a little hot under the collar about the white noise about 700 plastics, having four 700s and another three through my hands - that's seven - I'm better qualified than most to comment.

There are clearly two tribes, one is a very small minority of 700 fans, the other being 200 fans who are many. I happen to like both but prefer the 700 for my sins.

But never the twain seems to meet.

Jon.

N.B if anyone wants any undamaged 700 plastics I'm currently breaking two early cars.

Last edited by Prufrock; Oct 18th, 2016 at 14:22. Reason: deleted repitition
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 17:31   #79
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

I don't have a dog in this fight but ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
So we're clear yes, I get a little hot under the collar about the white noise about 700 plastics, having four 700s and another three through my hands - that's seven - I'm better qualified than most to comment..
I've had two 245s and four 740/940 and I found the brittle plastic issue was all about the colour (after age).
I loved the oxblood interior in one of them but the plastic in the doors would come off in your hands bit by bit!
I think black was the strongest by far.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 19:51   #80
57RKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

I don't think my comments are vitriolic - the comment is neither caustic nor hostile - no more so than the comments I've responded to (I see the plastics fixated Hazelgrove bully is on my case yet again).
Hazel Grove bully ? What have I done this time ?
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote