Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EBC pads large particles

Views : 421

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2023, 13:12   #1
TonyS9
Premier Member

Default EBC pads large particles

I'm getting a brown smear and pitting on the outer edge of one side with what looks like large particles in that same area of the pad. (1995 940 turbo) The brown material seems to be comming from the pads as it wipes off the disk.

The pads and disk where replaced Feb 2021, but mainly been travelling locally WFH so this problem has only just stated in the last few months.

EBC (via Larkspeed) suggested the pads are not been squeezed evenly.

I've swapped the pads around on that side, and the problem side cleared up quickly, leaving some pitting.

EBC are stlll suggesting it is the caliper.

Anyone seen any problems like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disk showing defect.jpg (178.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Pad large particles.jpg (219.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg After pad swap.jpg (139.5 KB, 20 views)
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 19:46   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

I did get a somewhat similar effect on one of my rear wheels and it was due to the calliper sticking.

Presumably you have checked the calliper cylinder for corrosion and that the slider pins aren’t sticking?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 22:33   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

also check that there are no indentations in the calliper carrier where the pads sit.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 18:19   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I did get a somewhat similar effect on one of my rear wheels and it was due to the calliper sticking.

Presumably you have checked the calliper cylinder for corrosion and that the slider pins aren’t sticking?
The pins were serviced at the same time the disks and pads where renewed, and are still moving freely. ITs a floating caliper

Swapping the pads around the sides of disk, the fault follows the pad, the damaged side is now cleaning up, although pitted.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 18:27   #5
J liddy

Is it just faulty pads .if its serious then a more premium set of pads I fitted Brembo pads been perfect for a year now . Although I have used genuine volvo too
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 20:10   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Is it just faulty pads .if its serious then a more premium set of pads I fitted Brembo pads been perfect for a year now . Although I have used genuine volvo too
Yeah, I think its the particle size, lots of larger shiny lumps in the area, and swapping the pads around there is alot of light scoring and squealing, although they are clearly not bedded in with the different positioning. Ive just take out the faulty side and used some old ones.

Ordered some Apec ones, everything is really expensive now, like double the price for a decent brand. Certainly going to stay away from EBC form now on, they never had a good reputation for quality. I know about manufacturing quality, feels to me they have a bad culturer.