Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio Installation

Views : 1330

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2018, 00:24   #1
bradams

Default Radio Installation

Can anyone guide me on the locations of any aerial or radio module(s?) and cabling in the V40?
I had a rear-end shunt a few months ago, and ever since then I have had faulty reception on all DAB stations (but not FM!), The signal breaks up completely - on/off, second by second. It 'feels like' a loose connection somewhere between the shark fin and the radio itself.
I didn't make the connection (no pun) between the shunt and the reception problem until it was too late to get it investigated under the insurance claim, so now I am hoping to trace the route myself from the aerial to the radio looking for the perceived bad joint. But, short of pulling out all the interior headlining and trim, where should I be looking?
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:39   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
Can anyone guide me on the locations of any aerial or radio module(s?) and cabling in the V40?
I had a rear-end shunt a few months ago, and ever since then I have had faulty reception on all DAB stations (but not FM!), The signal breaks up completely - on/off, second by second. It 'feels like' a loose connection somewhere between the shark fin and the radio itself.
I didn't make the connection (no pun) between the shunt and the reception problem until it was too late to get it investigated under the insurance claim, so now I am hoping to trace the route myself from the aerial to the radio looking for the perceived bad joint. But, short of pulling out all the interior headlining and trim, where should I be looking?
In the top of the tailgate after you take the inside cover off . DAB uses the window elements The fin is just the Navigation aerial
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 12:08   #3
bradams

Oh! That surprises me.

Before I start exploring, can you amplify what you mean by window "elements" (and I assume you mean the rear window)? It may become obvious once I open up, but it helps to be clear in advance just what I'm looking for/at.

Also, is there any trick or pressure points for removing the trim? 'Errors' can be messy in 'trial and error'! I've pulled on the edges of the trim but it is not coming away easily (yet).
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 12:24   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

By Window Elements he means the on-glass copper strips that you see on the window

They are bonded to the inside of the window glass and the patter is a very carefully tuned antenna system, and is mostly also part of the rear window demister

Check the electrical connectors to the window are on properly.
You may have to remove the interior trim around the window to see the connectors.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 22:40   #5
WOT4

Default Radio Reception

There have been a number of instances where people have destroyed their radio reception by scraping off Dealer stickers from the rear window and also from having secondary fit window tinting applied.
WOT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 07:24   #6
bradams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT4 View Post
There have been a number of instances where people have destroyed their radio reception by scraping off Dealer stickers from the rear window and also from having secondary fit window tinting applied.
No, not guilty there. Remember my FM reception is perfect; its just the DAB.
I removed the trim panel and checked the demister connections and the little box beside it. Everything is tight. Guess I'll need to try and trace the wiring back through the car now.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:30   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
No, not guilty there. Remember my FM reception is perfect; its just the DAB.
I removed the trim panel and checked the demister connections and the little box beside it. Everything is tight. Guess I'll need to try and trace the wiring back through the car now.
your first call should be to get the latest DAB software they have been tweaking it a lot lately ..
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:32   #8
bradams

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately my Volvo dealer has let me down with electronics in the past (which is why they were not my first port of call), and the next nearest is quite some distance away, but I'll phone around anyway.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 15:24   #9
bradams

Smile A Happy Ending

If, like me, you always want to know how a story turns out, then I am pleased to say I have an ending to my tale.

One thing I did not mention originally is that, because it was my second rear-end shunt in the space of a year, I fitted a rear-facing dashcam at the top of the rear windscreen (insurers love photo evidence). The dashcam is the 'wifi-to-smartphone' type - better than twisting your neck up to view a screen at the top of the tailgate.

You've guessed it! The wifi signal was interfering with the small DAB box right next to it. Move the camera to the bottom of the windscreen, and all is well!
The Following User Says Thank You to bradams For This Useful Post:

Tags
aerial, dab, radio