Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600749

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread : billysv50

Old Dec 19th, 2015, 23:28   #801
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Company car tax is 1% of list price.
Road tax is 9,50€ / 100cc + 2€ / g/km over 95g/km (I think it is at present). I pay 228€ for my 163PS D3 which is officially rated at 139g/km but when it was new (2011) the allowance was 120 g/km. A D4 would be 198€ so not so much difference in taxation and the fuel economy would probably be marginal. Thinking about it they probably buy more local brands as the saving in CO2 based tax and fuel is marginal at best.

I pay 36€ for my wife's Toyota Hybrid as petrol is 2€ / 100cc and her car is rated at 92g/km so no CO2 tax to pay.
Interesting, thanks for that.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:21   #802
xsaab
Master Member

Your pictures of the marine diesel engines remind me of my short time at B&W in Copenhagen. All of the components were massive compared to the motor car equivalent.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 15:47   #803
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Company car tax is 1% of list price.
Road tax is 9,50€ / 100cc + 2€ / g/km over 95g/km (I think it is at present). I pay 228€ for my 163PS D3 which is officially rated at 139g/km but when it was new (2011) the allowance was 120 g/km. A D4 would be 198€ so not so much difference in taxation and the fuel economy would probably be marginal. Thinking about it they probably buy more local brands as the saving in CO2 based tax and fuel is marginal at best.

I pay 36€ for my wife's Toyota Hybrid as petrol is 2€ / 100cc and her car is rated at 92g/km so no CO2 tax to pay.
I should have added to balance the additional road tax diesel is cheaper, currently around 98 cents/litre compared to 1,20€+ per litre for petrol.

Filled up in Luxembourg this afternoon at the equivalent of 65p (88.8 cents) per litre for diesel, regular petrol was about 78p (1.07€) per litre.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 14:23   #804
craigv60
Master Member

Default An update on developing a permanent fix ...

Just had an interesting chat with the service people at my supplying dealer.

My V60 D4 was due to get its second replacement EGR cooler tomorrow (Jan 5th), as I've had the Check Engine light intermittently since October.

The dealer called me and asked if I still had full power (I do, mine's never gone into limp mode). They then postponed fitting the replacement EGR cooler, on the proviso that if I did experience limp mode, I should call Volvo Assist and it will be fixed straight away.

They went on to explain that the live data-logging on a selection of affected cars (started in November 2015 by the visit of the tech guys from Sweden) will conclude on 1st February, after which they expect to have a permanent fix prepared.

So the official advice seems to be:

1) If a car has the 'Check Engine' light but still drives normally, leave it for now until the permanent fix is available.

2) If a car does go into limp mode with the EGR problem, fix it immediately with the currently-available stock of updated EGR valves and coolers - although this is NOT regarded as the definitive, permanent fix.

My own personal conclusion from this is that Volvo has realised it can't carry on just chucking new parts (plus all the labour costs etc) at affected cars, in the hope that it fixes them. Instead, they are now only applying the interim fix on an absolute 'as-needed' basis, and waiting for a permanent fix based on the data from the live logs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 14:53   #805
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I presume from that they still do not have a permanent fix then? Mmmmmm, not great after all this time.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 15:47   #806
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I presume from that they still do not have a permanent fix then? Mmmmmm, not great after all this time.
That's what the dealer service guy said to me: if the car is not going into limp mode, then they are waiting until a permanent fix is available. The current, updated EGR components at dealers right now are not regarded as being a permanent fix.

It all smacks to me of "hmmm, these cars are not behaving in the real world like our computer simulations said they should."

I really hope, for Volvo's sake, that they have not rushed the introduction of the VEA motor. If you're going to bet the company's future on a brand-new engine, you need to be pretty confident that you've got the wrinkles ironed out.

Or have all the car manufacturers forgotten NSU's RO80?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 16:13   #807
Turnwood

Just as a quick update, I have now done 27k miles in my Jan 2015 built car and still no evidence of any engine management lights/tortoises etc. I still feel that performance can vary quite considerably from day to day and will mention this at the next service in around 10k miles.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 18:27   #808
Waggatron

Can I join the EGR club? Just had the check emissions light come on on my D4 XC60 after 15,000 miles (16 months old). Booked into Rybrook next week for the new bits. Just hope it doesn't go into limp mode before then.....

Last edited by Waggatron; Jan 4th, 2016 at 18:32.
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 19:34   #809
Marc01

Hmmm interesting Craigy, the conversation I had was different it was along the lines of the Swedish engineers have been out, done the data logging and investigstions, and my car is now fitted with the latest redesigned cooler, apparently this cooler has a completely redesigned interior as a result of the live data logging which along with revised software should resolve the issue... That was back in September and I was fortunate enough to get one of the early revised parts.

That was from the Volvo master technician direct from Volvo HQ after my car was sent to the closest dealership to Volvo UK.

Last edited by Marc01; Jan 4th, 2016 at 19:42.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 20:17   #810
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Hmmm interesting Craigy, the conversation I had was different it was along the lines of the Swedish engineers have been out, done the data logging and investigstions, and my car is now fitted with the latest redesigned cooler, apparently this cooler has a completely redesigned interior as a result of the live data logging which along with revised software should resolve the issue... That was back in September and I was fortunate enough to get one of the early revised parts.

That was from the Volvo master technician direct from Volvo HQ after my car was sent to the closest dealership to Volvo UK.

Fair enough - either the Swedish engineers have been visiting different regions in the UK at different times, or we're being spun a line ...

My own car was shortlisted for live datalogging with the Swedish techs by my supplying dealer (Rybrook Warrington), but they were able to put forward 4 cars that had actually gone into limp mode with the EGR problem: these were preferred to mine, which has never gone into limp mode. They would have taken my car for fitting the logging device in early November 2015.