Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

May 2017 Map updates

Views : 9184

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2017, 23:37   #1
BoJoUK

Default May 2017 Map updates

I have just spotted that the May 2017 Map updates are available to be downloaded.
Not sure about other parts of the world, but the Europe version 3148956 is there with a date of 05/05/2017.

Remember to use a newly formatted USB stick. Formatted to FAT32.

And with thanks to Voltan for pointing out this is NOT a map update compatible for those who have the upgraded Sensus system applied to XC60's prior to MY14.

Last edited by BoJoUK; May 13th, 2017 at 00:49. Reason: Addition of Voltan's input
BoJoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BoJoUK For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2017, 23:41   #2
swebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJoUK View Post
I have just spotted that the May 2017 Map updates are available to be downloaded.
Not sure about other parts of the world, but the Europe version 3148956 is there with a date of 05/05/2017.

Remember to use a newly formatted USB stick. Formatted to FAT32.
59% through the download!
swebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 00:40   #3
Voltan

Just to point out that this is NOT a map update compatible for those who have the upgraded Sensus system applied to XC60's prior to MY14. Hopefully, that will be at the end of the month, the anniversary of the first 'free' update.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:50   #4
bigcj

Can anybody help? I am trying to download the updates onto a memory stick and my Norton anti virus keeps deleting the exe file, this is the first time I have encountered this proble, any ideas ??
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:59   #5
Voltan

Will the "deleted" file not be in the Quarantine folder? You should be able to add that specific file or indeed the external memory device like the USB memory stick, to an exclusions list so that it is not scanned or deleted.

I don't use Norton specifically but I am sure the online Help for your AV software will instruct you how to do this. Or google "adding exclusions to Norton.."
Old May 13th, 2017, 13:24   #6
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcj View Post
Can anybody help? I am trying to download the updates onto a memory stick and my Norton anti virus keeps deleting the exe file, this is the first time I have encountered this proble, any ideas ??
You could disable Norton, download to the stick and then carry out a virus check on the stick.
Rarely, I have had to do this with AVG.

tem.
Old May 13th, 2017, 14:20   #7
bigcj

Thanks for the prompt advice gents, disabled Norton now downloading just got to wait the 6 hours to complete.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 15:37   #8
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcj View Post
Thanks for the prompt advice gents, disabled Norton now downloading just got to wait the 6 hours to complete.
Is it wise to leave the computer unprotected for such a time? I wouldn't use it for any other purpose while you are downloading the file. Apparently there's a huge cyberattack going on out there!
Old May 13th, 2017, 20:19   #9
Fellwalker

Lightbulb Depressingly slow using the recommended download to USB ...

...when the map would only download at a peak of just over 2MB/s. I use a Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3.0, which has a claimed write speed of 15 MB/s on USB 3.0. The estimated time left kept going up. Last time it was nearly 4 hours.

What I realised was that the limitation was actually my USB stick, maxing out at 100% transfer. I cancelled the download, and restarted it using my main SSD as the target, and it downloaded at close to the 79Mbps of my fibre broadband. That is around 9MB/s, 4 1/2 times faster; it only took around 45 minutes. Then copying to the USB stick took another 40 minutes, which it did at up to 11MB/s, so overall a big saving of time.

Looking at Windows Resource Manager during the two different downloads, the clear issue was all of the little files in the update, so that each one would start and stop downloading, and because it is using a download manager, parts of files are coming from various sources. That isn't what even a fast USB stick is good for.

I would suggest that the recommendation to directly create the update on the USB stick is not the quickest.

===========

Why do we need the full Europe? Surely it would be better if we could choose to just update UK only, then if we were to take the car abroad we could at that point download the relevant parts of Europe. I get sick of selecting to navigate to a location or a POI for it to show me choices all across Europe.

Just imagine the cost of 18.20 GB download for the thousands of Volvo car drivers. If not a sterling cost, then time taken and bandwidth wasted. And we've all had to buy 32GB or more USB sticks that we can't use for anything else.

Last edited by Fellwalker; May 13th, 2017 at 20:21. Reason: mixed GB and MB
Fellwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2017, 20:29   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The other advantage of downloading locally and copying to the installation media is that you can copy it agin to other media if that one doesn't work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: