Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

May 2017 Map updates

Views : 9214

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2017, 09:17   #11
misterrich
RichSS

Hi guys

I have just acquired a 2012 S60 D5 Lux Nav Polestar (I am besotted already!) and waded through almost 30 pages on here last night concerning map updates - sadly it was late and I had half an eye on Eurovision (and the other half on a glass of vino)... so can anyone answer:

1. How do I tell if the former owner installed the system update - can I simply rely upon the colour of the mapping!? (I suspect they didn't and certainly no receipt for it)

2. Are the glitches sorted and is it worth getting it done? I see Volvo have assured some customers that they will fix any problems it causes, I guess I would want that assurance before I went ahead.

3. Coventry Volvo is just around the corner - are they any good?

[Already downloaded the most appropriate map updates - I think!]

Thanks in anticipation and apologies in advance for more nooby questions likely to follow.

:-)
misterrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:19   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
Is it wise to leave the computer unprotected for such a time? I wouldn't use it for any other purpose while you are downloading the file. Apparently there's a huge cyberattack going on out there!
The "cyberattack" isn't going to randomly hit your computer just because it is on!
The issue there is people opening "links" on emails that then download malware (dodgy bad software) which then encrypts the data.
You can avoid that by NOT opening any unexpected links/files, and by keeping your windows software and antivirus up to date.....sounds like mostly older windows software is most vulnerable....
Or use a Mac - somewhat less attractive to attacks, it appears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterrich View Post
1. How do I tell if the former owner installed the system update - can I simply rely upon the colour of the mapping!? (I suspect they didn't and certainly no receipt for it)

2. Are the glitches sorted and is it worth getting it done? I see Volvo have assured some customers that they will fix any problems it causes, I guess I would want that assurance before I went ahead.

3. Coventry Volvo is just around the corner - are they any good?
1. Not sure, sorry: think there is somewhere in my car that tells you the version on the car

2. Who knows: my last (only) update hung halfway through updating the car, and Volvo Leicester were appalling at fixing it (took them days despite them assuring me 100% that they had the download....because it turns out they didn't, and their internet link was way worse than mine!)

3. If you mean TMS, they were great when I bought mine from them....their Hinckley showroom also very good (closer for my servicing now I no longer commute to Coventry). I would avoid Leicester.....
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:10   #13
bigcj

I have finally downloaded the update to a 32 GB memory stick, for some reason it took longer than expected. I took the advice and didn't use the computer during the download and ran a full virus scan afterwards. I will try the suggested method of not downloading direct to the stick next time to see if its quicker.

I would endorse TMS at Coventry and Hinckley, I have used them for years without any problem. My experience of Sturgess Volvo was poor and friends with recent experience of the Sturgess Group would suggest that they are still best avoided.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigcj For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:51   #14
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

57 Mins to download to laptop, 28 mins over to USB.
Fastest one yet!
Tempted to update whilst driving, anyone done that?
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:41   #15
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1066 View Post
Fastest one yet!
I update while driving.
You cannot use the Sat Nav until the update is complete.

tem.
Old May 15th, 2017, 14:59   #16
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1066 View Post
Fastest one yet!
Took 1h15m to update whilst driving this morning. Same as previous updates.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2017, 15:43   #17
Spitfire4
Master Member

Do mine while driving, usually takes an hour, as tem says can't uses sat nav while it's updating.

Is the map better this time or still the same and have to have it on .2 to get all the streets. In fact where my daughter lives, she's been there 5 years, is still not on the map!
Old May 15th, 2017, 17:05   #18
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Think this is a general problem, where my son lives the estate has been finished for 2 years, shows up on satellite views but non of the map suppliers show it, i.e. Bing, google ,Here, and even the Ordnance Survey. Don't know if its the developers or the local planning authority who should provide the info to a central body i.e OS
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:24   #19
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire4 View Post
Do mine while driving, usually takes an hour, as tem says can't uses sat nav while it's updating.

Is the map better this time or still the same and have to have it on .2 to get all the streets. In fact where my daughter lives, she's been there 5 years, is still not on the map!
Same as before. 0.2 required to see any detailed street data.
On another matter, the maps are still way behind other mapping updates. My Garmin, updated at least a month ago, shows the new road layout around the M6 at Lancaster. Some of the 'new roads' have been open for six months. The latest Volvo update is still not showing these. Why are they so behind everyone else ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 08:50   #20
v70stu
V60 T6

Which mapping do Volvo use? Is it Navteq?