Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 low battery voltage message

Views : 8991

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2018, 07:38   #1
nigxl

Default XC60 low battery voltage message

I get this message very soon after stopping if the ignition is left on.
I may have done a 30 mile trip so quite surprised at this.
Could this maybe be a faulty battery? Starts fine everytime.
The car is under 2 years old and done less than 20K.
It's a 2.4 D5 geartronic.
Thanks
nigxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 08:22   #2
nigxl

Searching the forum I found a helpful battery state of charge table that puts my resting charge at around 50% or 12.27V.
Charging system seems fine at 14.8V.
Looks like I need a new battery.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 08:35   #3
iain cooper

warranty should cover it, whether it be battery or charging system.

Iain
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 14:15   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

I had this and every time I took it in whilst under warranty the response was that the system and the battery are fine.

After about 4 years the messages became more frequent and I ended up buying a new Bosch battery. Not had the message since.

I have kept the old battery and it seems to hold it's charge and has been used to start my daughters CRV but Inwould not want it back on the car.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 14:32   #5
nigxl

Thanks for the replies.
I rang my nearest Volvo dealer 70 miles away and they said they would put the battery on charge for around 3 days and then do their tests.
So I said I'll do that myself !!!
She did say that if the battery was faulty that they would replace it for me.
I'll give it a good charge and see what it rests at, if it will take a full charge that is.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 14:42   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigxl View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I rang my nearest Volvo dealer 70 miles away and they said they would put the battery on charge for around 3 days and then do their tests.
So I said I'll do that myself !!!
She did say that if the battery was faulty that they would replace it for me.
I'll give it a good charge and see what it rests at, if it will take a full charge that is.
If this is a new generation Volvo , there is a software fix for this .
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 15:23   #7
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If this is a new generation Volvo , there is a software fix for this .
Any details for that? The reason for asking is that I have had persistent issues with the battery in my car since new.

When new, the day after delivery ( a 180 mile drive), I got this low battery warning and the voltage was indeed low (around 12.1V). I tried a smart charger, the dealer tried a smart charger but the battery was replaced.

In the 30 months or so since, this low charge warning has come and gone. The voltage is indeed low when it appears. It happens when the car has been unused for a few days. The alternator sometimes kicks out over 15V, which seems very high ) confirmed with a plug in voltmeter and a multimeter)

I'll be taking it back to the dealer; when did this software update become available ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 15:38   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Any details for that? The reason for asking is that I have had persistent issues with the battery in my car since new.

When new, the day after delivery ( a 180 mile drive), I got this low battery warning and the voltage was indeed low (around 12.1V). I tried a smart charger, the dealer tried a smart charger but the battery was replaced.

In the 30 months or so since, this low charge warning has come and gone. The voltage is indeed low when it appears. It happens when the car has been unused for a few days. The alternator sometimes kicks out over 15V, which seems very high ) confirmed with a plug in voltmeter and a multimeter)

I'll be taking it back to the dealer; when did this software update become available ?
It could be the battery of course , there are very comprehensive battery use and history details available from the car for them to read , it gives details of usage , how much current draw , how many miles you do per journey + much more ..
There is also a built in battery test they should do .

The software has been updated several times since launch .
When did you last have a software update ?
When it is checked, all software is updated rather than just the suspect particular module .
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 17:11   #9
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It could be the battery of course , there are very comprehensive battery use and history details available from the car for them to read , it gives details of usage , how much current draw , how many miles you do per journey + much more ..
There is also a built in battery test they should do .

The software has been updated several times since launch .
When did you last have a software update ?
When it is checked, all software is updated rather than just the suspect particular module .
I believe it was updated when it was serviced last; January 2018.

I'll take it in for it's next service in December/ early January, so it'll still be under warranty. I can live with the low voltage warning, and top the battery up with the smart charger if the car is unused. It's never failed to turn over/ start even when the voltage is as low as 11.9V.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 13:53   #10
Pandamedic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
I believe it was updated when it was serviced last; January 2018.

I'll take it in for it's next service in December/ early January, so it'll still be under warranty. I can live with the low voltage warning, and top the battery up with the smart charger if the car is unused. It's never failed to turn over/ start even when the voltage is as low as 11.9V.
I'd pop to Volvo and get them to check it. Mine was saying low battery charge all the time, even after driving to Europe and back. My stop start never seemed to work either. They plugged it in to their gadgets and said it was the battery. It was only 2 years old, so they changed it for free for me. Since then. No issues.