Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 85412

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 11:46   #251
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
For there to be such a huge variation in failure mileage, there must be a difference in driving style, towing, terrain etc. Doesn't make sense that some would go at 55k or less and others 100k or more.

Would be interesting to do a poll and establish how many people tow, where they live and so on.
The transmission was completely changed with the Euro 4 engine.(MY 2007) That's the reason. Also the new splined sleeve kit for the old Euro 3 engine models has improved things. It's corrosion and metal quality that caused the problem so that's going to vary the effect from car to car. Historic problem. Not worth worrying about. If you have a Euro 3 engine just treat it as a service item.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 14:23   #252
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The transmission was completely changed with the Euro 4 engine.(MY 2007) That's the reason. Also the new splined sleeve kit for the old Euro 3 engine models has improved things. It's corrosion and metal quality that caused the problem so that's going to vary the effect from car to car. Historic problem. Not worth worrying about. If you have a Euro 3 engine just treat it as a service item.
Yes but you get people with Euro 3 cars that fail at massively different times. Has to be a solid reason(s) as to why there can be such a huge difference.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 15:58   #253
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Yes but you get people with Euro 3 cars that fail at massively different times. Has to be a solid reason(s) as to why there can be such a huge difference.
What are the massively different times?

Lot of people don't even know when their Euro 3 AWD sleeve failed.

I know when mine would have from removing the sleeve before it failed. I read the forum posts on the sleeve for many years before deciding it needed to be replaced on average before 60,000 miles of use.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 16:15   #254
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
What are the massively different times?

Lot of people don't even know when their Euro 3 AWD sleeve failed.

I know when mine would have from removing the sleeve before it failed. I read the forum posts on the sleeve for many years before deciding it needed to be replaced on average before 60,000 miles of use.
I have read genuine accounts of pre 2006 cars still rocking on with AWD over 100k. One bloke I spoke with today sold his car at 110k with the AWD definitely still working. It is just interesting to note the differences. I am not talking about people assuming it works, but people who know it works because they still accelerate out of wet corners with no spin, traverse ice and muddy fields without issues etc.

No doubt the part is flawed and if something goes wrong with the AWD then that is probably the best place to start looking!
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 18:57   #255
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
I have read genuine accounts of pre 2006 cars still rocking on with AWD over 100k. One bloke I spoke with today sold his car at 110k with the AWD definitely still working. It is just interesting to note the differences. I am not talking about people assuming it works, but people who know it works because they still accelerate out of wet corners with no spin, traverse ice and muddy fields without issues etc.

No doubt the part is flawed and if something goes wrong with the AWD then that is probably the best place to start looking!
Could you post some links please?

How did you know the guy you spoke to defiantly had his AWD working?

I read the forum for the R cars where the issue first appeared as well as the XC90 and XC70 and didn't come upon any disagreement about the problem. Guess I didn't look in the right place?
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 09:30   #256
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Could you post some links please?

How did you know the guy you spoke to defiantly had his AWD working?

I read the forum for the R cars where the issue first appeared as well as the XC90 and XC70 and didn't come upon any disagreement about the problem. Guess I didn't look in the right place?
No disagreement that the problem exists! . But it is a fact that some people have driven to much higher mileages than others on Euro 3 cars before having issues. Have a nose around the forums and you will note very different figures, which is interesting.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 19:21   #257
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
No disagreement that the problem exists! . But it is a fact that some people have driven to much higher mileages than others on Euro 3 cars before having issues. Have a nose around the forums and you will note very different figures, which is interesting.
Been nosing on the XC70 forum since 2002. VOC member since 1984. Haven't seen these wildly different mileage figures. Have seen very different time periods. Showed up on the R cars first before XC90. The high miler company cars first with private motorists a couple of years after. Difficult to work out precise mileage to failure as rare to find out at the time due to lack of warning sensor. Almost exclusively identified later. As it was identified by others as being around 75k I changed mine earlier at about 60k and it was starting to fail.

There may be the odd one that manages to keep going but most fail within that distance range.

The quality of the original sleeve metal makes the case hardening variable. That is the main difference with the new sleeve, better quality metal give more consistent case hardening.

If you have any links to unusually high mileages please post them.

All this only applies to Euro 3 engines in case anyone with a different later engine picks this thread up without reading the whole thing.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jun 12th, 2015 at 19:27.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 20:57   #258
REDSHEEPRIDD

Hello Roy,

Like you, I am now on the XC60 forum as both my 90's are now memories.

I can however vouch that my 54 reg 163 which I owned for 4 years was sold with 110000miles on her with the AWD working perfectly.(original sleeve)

As I have said before, and it probably goes against the rational thinking, I feel that up here, my AWD was often called into use both through driving in snow & rain and by towing a twin axle and this may have maintained the life of the sleeve. I know that some will say that would wear it down quicker, but would it, or would sporadic use a few times a year be more harmful?

I didn't change mine as a precautionary measure because I took a warranty on it every year, which would cover any failure.
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REDSHEEPRIDD For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 23:34   #259
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
Hello Roy,

Like you, I am now on the XC60 forum as both my 90's are now memories.

I can however vouch that my 54 reg 163 which I owned for 4 years was sold with 110000miles on her with the AWD working perfectly.(original sleeve)

As I have said before, and it probably goes against the rational thinking, I feel that up here, my AWD was often called into use both through driving in snow & rain and by towing a twin axle and this may have maintained the life of the sleeve. I know that some will say that would wear it down quicker, but would it, or would sporadic use a few times a year be more harmful?

I didn't change mine as a precautionary measure because I took a warranty on it every year, which would cover any failure.
Hi REDSHEEPRIDD, Thanks for the info. A lot of the problem is caused by condensation which I guess the designers didn't expect in that location, so it could be that your use caused conditions that didn't cause condensation to form, prolonging the life of the sleeve. 110,000 in 4 years should keep everything pretty warm I should think.

It's all a bit academic now though. The Euro 3 is what it is and those of us with Euro 3's just have to keep an eye on AWD. If anyone with a Euro 3 finds their sleeve OK when they check it, just put it back together and leave it alone. It's up to the individual to choose to treat it as a service item. or not, I guess.

It's 9 years since Euro 3's went out of production, though so most Euro 3 AWD's sleeves will have been replaced anyway I should think.

Be interested to hear from anyone who's stripped their AWD sleeve down and found it to be OK. Haven't seen anyone post like that but may just have missed it.

Has anyone reached 200k with the original Euro 3 sleeve?

RE: the XC90 v XC60 Finding it difficult to decide which I like best. Don't know if you read my comment about the indi I go to saying my XC90 is the nicest XC to drive that they have go in to them, regardless of age. I know I just don't get the hesitation issue that people mention and get more mpg than almost everyone who posts on here. I did look a few cars before I chose the one I did because it sounded so good. It certainly seems to be standing the test of time. Regularly returns 40 mpg now.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jun 12th, 2015 at 23:51.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 03:56   #260
Deanhempshall

Sorry for pulling this one back up but i'm going to look at a couple of potential new motors later today & wondered if there is anyway to tell if the AWD is not working without having it off of the ground?
Deanhempshall is offline   Reply With Quote