Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Could use some advice please

Views : 1078

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2020, 00:43   #1
ArtBerg

Default Could use some advice please

Hi All - I could use some advice from the community.

I am the owner of a N registered 940 volvo estate. 2316cc engine. Usual electric front windows, heated seats, electric wing mirrors alloy wheels etc. Mot'd til Jan 2021

I dont have space for it after having been given a company ride, and am considering selling it on. Rebuilt the clutch a couple of years back, and have done a number of running repairs over the last few years.

She does have some repairs needed - Water pump needed, some rust in the fenders and she'll need some rear brake work to get through the next MoT.

The problem is I dont have the first clue what to ask for it. It's a brilliant car - powerful and handles suberbly well. Be a great project for someone.

Can any one advise me on this please?

Thanks
ArtBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 08:16   #2
BorderVolvo

I had a wee look on ebay and asking prices vary massively.....!!
Adding some pictures here(of the good bits and not so good) would maybe generate some interest in your car.
What's the mileage and how many owners has it had? What colour?

Nice big cars.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 18:01   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Must...resist...worryingly close to home...oh, go on then. Gimme some more details and pics would be good.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 21:45   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderVolvo View Post
I had a wee look on ebay and asking prices vary massively.....!!
I check the 'completed items', you can then tell what actually sold and for how much, anyone can ask as much as they want.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 05:13   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBerg View Post
Hi All - I could use some advice from the community.

I am the owner of a N registered 940 volvo estate. 2316cc engine. Usual electric front windows, heated seats, electric wing mirrors alloy wheels etc. Mot'd til Jan 2021

I dont have space for it after having been given a company ride, and am considering selling it on. Rebuilt the clutch a couple of years back, and have done a number of running repairs over the last few years.

She does have some repairs needed - Water pump needed, some rust in the fenders and she'll need some rear brake work to get through the next MoT.

The problem is I dont have the first clue what to ask for it. It's a brilliant car - powerful and handles suberbly well. Be a great project for someone.

Can any one advise me on this please?

Thanks
Do the repairs and KEEP IT!!!!! Insure it on a classic policy, limited mileage and use it at the weekends/evenings when you might find your company hack either penalises you on your income tax or the only private use you get is to/from home.

Also if things go pear-shaped with your job and the "perk" of a company car is withdrawn (or worse still, the company goes bust and your job is withdrawn!), you'll be banjaxed without a car.
Try getting around on foot/bus to buy something cheap and cheerful to tide you over until you find another job - been there, done that, T-shirt etc and it just isn't possible.

The only cars left by the time you get to them are cars nobody else wants and there's usually not only one but a whole list of reasons they don't want them!

With your 940, you know the problems, you've owned it long enough to know what needs doing unlike something you may pick up in a hurry because you need transport.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 09:36   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Everything that Dave said.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 13:02   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

My suggestion.

Advertise it on e-bay under a "Classified Ad". Spend a long time on the advert, take really good photo's, describe all aspects of the car that someone might want to know accurately and honestly. Talk about the bad bits as well, pitch the car very slightly worse than it really is - people are MUCH more likely to buy a car if it's better than they expected from the description.

Look at what other cars have sold for, arrive at a price in your head which you think is the market rate. If you are not sure - err on the high side.

The advertise it, if the car doesn't sell then drop the price by 5%-10% a week until it does. Do not accept any offers by e-mail. When people come to view, do not accept offers that are more than 10% off the asking price.

E.g. Week 1 - advertised £2,000, accept £1,800 lowest (but don't tell them that's what your doing!)

If it doesn't sell, Week 2 advertise at £1,800, accept £1650 or similar etc.

One day it will sell, it will all happen in less than 24 hours, someone will call, view, and drive it away.

Stick to the plan like glue, do not give in to anyone pressuring you to sell for less, there will be another buyer on another day. I've done this loads of times now and it works every time. Following a method like this takes some of the stress and uncertainty out of it.

I sold my 2003 XC90 this way about 6 months ago, advertised it for £1,800, had two people in the first week telling me it was worth a grand, £1,200 max, etc. On day 10 a bloke text me, came the next day with cash and paid the asking price. And he got a good car that was good value.

You will get loads of e-mail and text questions and offers, serious people will come and view.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 11th, 2020 at 13:06.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 22:52   #8
ArtBerg

Default Many Thanks

Hi All

Thanks for the replies- I truly expected to be ignored!

I really appreciate the advice and trust me the idea of keeping hold of the car is attractive. However I think I'm going to have to move the old girl along to someone who can do her justice.

Heres some photos maybe somebody could advise on the level of price to start at that I should be asking.

Thanks again

Dash.jpg

Dside.jpg

Cab.jpg

Bseat.jpg

Boot tray.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (255.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Pside.jpg (311.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Dside Rust.jpg (209.9 KB, 26 views)
ArtBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtBerg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 23:57   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

That’s ripe for turbo brick job.....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 15:32   #10
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Car like that is likely £695 to £895 ono on Gumtree and will likely shift. Some will say ask more, they may be right, depends how quickly you wanna sell it. Without the visible corrosion likely £1295ono
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
n reg, volvo 940 estate