Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1/4 Mile question

Views : 1241

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 19:26   #11
Simon J
Premier Member

Default RE: 1/4 Mile question

You can find the videos at http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288235373 It's actually a Canadian strip (drag strip that is!) not a US one. I would assume that the C70 was 2WD unless he had done something real special to it!

But while autos are certainly quick on the gearchange it's surely not correct to assume that the time taken to make manual changes is time lost - the car is still moving, and probably still accelerating as well, during the gear change.

Rgds,
Simon J
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 20:41   #12
volvotuning

For the average driver, an auto will usually result in better 1/4 times than a manual, for the simple reason that driver skill is less of a factor. You don't have the problem with launch, or fast gear changes, or missing a gear etc etc. Technically, a manual is quicker, but in practise an auto gives much more consistent results.

Adam.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:21   #13
Ross9
Master Member

Simon, time take to change gear is time lost on a drag race.
You cant argue with the laws of physics, while changing gear the clutch is in and no power is being supplied to the engine, thus no forward force, barring any momentum obviously, but then you have the wind resistance, tyre drag etc all cancelling this out, try it, get your car really shifting, then put your foot on the clutch, I'll put money on it that the speedo stops exactly where it is, and then starts to fall.

I do see your point though, and would agree that probably a whole 0.4 secs per change isn't lost, as the car is still covering ground, but in comparison to an auto gearchange, it still hampers the manual.

As Andy says, the Auto has the advantage on launches and gearchanges, but the manual will put more power to the wheels than the equivalent auto due to transmission losses on an auto box tending to be a bit higher. Personally I favour a manual car every time, but some of the very fast drag cars use 3 speed drag auto's etc purely to cut out the gearchange part of the run. It's like a catapult when done right, fit a huge flywheel, spin it up, press the button to engage first as the light goes green and voila, off you go lol. Seen rx-7's and the like doing this in Australia.

Racing a 300BHP Lexus Vertex at Crail it was apparent the auto's advantages, you could see the effect it took when I changed gear in comparison to him never lifting off (on a turbo car it also means you dotn get the lag every time you change) Can't really compare the launch, he got away a bit better but is rwd, which offers better traction for a launch anyway.

Still waiting to race a T5 but any I see are all pottering along the motorway (or flying down it in one case as I sat at 60 in the truck), not approaching a track or drag strip like they should be lol, would like to see how quick they are, modified obviously, not wanting to appear too cocky but I don't think I'd have much bother with a standard one on my current spec, never mind in a month or so when the new engine is built. It's a shame you don't see more of them doing such events, there was another Volvo at Crail last time we went, an S70 2.5T if I remember right, aftermarket front brakes and a good size exhaust, dont know what the standard system looks like, Jacq saw it off in the T4 without much ado though so would be good to see just how much faster the T5 version is. Hopefully as summer comes in some of you will be at Pod etc and there will be some times or vids I could have a look at, always interested in such.

Ross
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:36   #14
Simon J
Premier Member

I entirely agree, Ross, and personally I reckon that an auto complements the turbo characteristics very well for every day road use. The seamless power delivery and imperceptible full throttle gearchanges on a five speed auto T5 are awesome. And of course the faster one can change gear the quicker the time in a drag race but my point was just that one can't simply add the total time spent changing gear on a manual box and infer that if it that was all deducted from the total elapsed time one would have the 'true' result. If the power isn't getting to the wheels, time is lost, but that lost time is not simply equivalent to the duration of the gear change.

'Nuff said! I need to get out more!

Rgds,
Simon J

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 18:40   #15
jason

Hi All,
Thanks for all the advice much appreciated,in the end between bad weather and bad managment of the event i did not go ,apparently the numbers that arrived where in excess of 20,000 ,about 15,000 more than was anticipated .
A friend of mine rang me to say that two people where on a gate attempting to cater for thousands of people trying to get in ,in the end the management of the event decided to cancel the Drag race due to dangerous track conditions and people behaving in a stupid and dangerous manner,pity.

Think i will have to wait and try Santa Pod at least it seems to be run professionaly,without sounding stupid where is Santa Pod located? I would be coming from Holyhead.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Jason
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 18:46   #16
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi Jason,

Santa pod is Northampton, another Volvo forum is planning to hijack a RWYB on the 25th April if your interested?

Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 17:51   #17
jason

Hi Duane,
That sounds good ,only thing is i agreed to do a dyno run on saturday the 24th with a Suburu Club ,well its a mix of 2 wheel drive cars Cosworth,Ferrari 360,M3 BMW and of course T5 all the rest are Suburu,they needed 15 cars so i said i would oblige.
Thanks for the info though ,i would love to see Santa Pod anyway regardless of running my car,never seen Drag racing apart from Tv. How often is it on Duane? Maybe if i make it over to Santa Pod we might meet up if you are free.

Jason

Ps Have you ever tried the "COOL Blue " i think its called 106 Ron fuel?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 18:47   #18
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Have you ever tried the "COOL Blue " i think its called
>106 Ron fuel?

no i only use BP Ultimate.

the RWYB are held most weekends (except when theres a official meeting), if you click on "calendar" on the santa pod site it gives you a full list of whats going on. I do recommend going to watch dragsters (especially the Jet cars) the sound & speed is amazing.

the only guaranteed event we (the covcrew) go to is the "flame & thunder" every November, we camp over from the Friday until we get kicked out (normally Sunday night) & just have a good laugh)

if you let us know when you plan to go down i'd try & meet up (finances permiting)
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 20:37   #19
Simon J
Premier Member

Never been to Santa Pod but many years ago I went to a drag meet in Ohio and I can vouch for the noise! I don't think I've ever heard anything like it. Even without any exhaust system and silencer, a T5 wouldn't come near it!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 21:30   #20
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

last year i managed to stand as close to the start line as possible (about 4 foot away at the most) when the jetcar did its run, nearly sh*t myself (you don't just hear it, you feel it)