Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Geartronic Thud / Slip....Sometimes

Views : 4282

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2014, 09:04   #31
rutlander

A little up date on the gearbox situation. Having cured most of the slip and jolt with a transmission fluid change we were left with a fairly pronounced, but also improved jolt from 1st to 2nd when pulling off/crawling.

Had the lower rear engine mount replaced yesterday - Whilst the car was in the air the mechanic spotted that the front stabiliser link bushes were worn, to the point that the thing was rattling around under the car and doing the sum total of sod all to stabilise anything.

The part was on the shelf at the local Volvo dealer. Cost £35 odd. Got the car home with the new engine mount done and fitted it in 15 minutes.

Dead simple. All I needed was a socket set.

1. Lie on your back under the front of the car.
2. Remove the front bolts from the underside protection cover so that it hangs down at the front end.
3. To your left you'll see the stabiliser link's two side-by-side bolts in the subframe with the part connected to the gearbox with two other bolts.
If it rattles, it's knackered. If it moves the bushes are on their way, so the gearbox will be moving under load too.
4. Remove the bolts at either end.
5. Fit the new part.
6. Replace engine cover.
Simple.

The shift between 1st and second has been immediately improved beyond all recognition.

There's still a little age/mileage-related jerk, but nothing like before.

Left to its own devices any movement is just going to cause further damage to the gearbox I'd have thought, so it's a DIY, 15 minute job that's well worth doing

Really loving how simple these cars seem to be to work on - Even my mechanic said he was looking forward to doing the cambelt, which is apparently a very easy job.

I just hope replacing the sprung loaded interior boot flap I didn't have time to do yesterday is as simple!
rutlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 09:24   #32
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

More good progress - I would still recommend you get the TCM adaptation process completed though, you might be still surprised by the results.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 09:28   #33
rutlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
More good progress - I would still recommend you get the TCM adaptation process completed though, you might be still surprised by the results.
All booked in at Volvo for the 11th. Belt and Braces and all that! It'll be good to get the car flashed with the latest software and updates too.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 18:50   #34
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Do you mean the front lower engine torque mount?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 18:56   #35
rutlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Do you mean the front lower engine torque mount?
That's the puppy. Excuse my ignorance on the name front. I swear changing that thing has made the car a different thing to drive. Especially 1st to 2nd gear.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 09:54   #36
blowupp

Hi Tannaton,

Please would you offer some advice re our XC90D5 auto 2006 88K; im not sure its 'flaring' but we increasingly get a thump rather like someone has bumped the car from behind when stationary or soon after pulling away, more rarely some kind of 'clutch slip' where the engine revs and then drive engages with a big lurch ..bit like a learner driver :-)

Im hoping your Nov2014 advice "gibbons method and the right JWS3309 AT used - make sure a Transmission Control Module Adaptation process is done "is what we need , ie. gloopy transmition lube affects normal operation of the drive mechanics?

cheers
Mark
blowupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 01:00   #37
Ray1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's worth noting that membership of this forum doesn't give you some heightened status or level of honesty not found elsewhere.
It's always buyer beware, no matter who you buy from.
When I was in the car trade, our motto was "Buyers are liars"........it's possible that sellers are liars too but the rhyme isn't as good.
My personal view is that both parties always do what they can to look after their interests, which is fair enough.
Everything I've read about D5 auto faults is that they often don't rear their head until the box is fully warm.
Your problem manifested itself after half an hour so maybe you didn't test drive the car for long enough, which isn't the seller's fault.
That said, I hope all your fixes are easy and not too expensive.
That's exactly what happened to me,I should have read your post first,I wouldn't have a headache right now lol.
Ray1962 is offline   Reply With Quote