Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can I check horns

Views : 899

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 17:41   #1
p1800
P1800-its all going well!

Default How can I check horns

Hi Guys
Ive now got no horns working at all!

Ive had the car for 15 years and always has the horn on the stalk working. The push on the steering has never worked.

The stalk has just failed - I hear a faint sound as if a current is making a diaphragm twitch ( almost a pop noise ) when the stalk is pressed

There are 3 horns in the nose - a single and a pair - which one works off the stalk and which off the steering column.

How can I check if it is the wiring or the horn ? There are 2 spade connectors to each horn - can I power these up directly to see if they work and how would this need connecting? Is it standard earth through the body - if so why are there 2 spade connectors to each ?

From reading up on this I believe the steering column horn push completes an earth circuit - how can I test if the wiring is working before spending £80 on a horn set?

Any help appreciated
Thanks
p1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 20:22   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

You should have a horn relay, a smallish rectangular one. Check and clean the wires and connectors. You can also check the horns individually with a jumper wire from your battery or a spare one. Earth is to the fixing bolt which is probably fine so a single wire from the positive of the battery to the horn tag should wake it up, or not. Clean up all the contacts anyway. The horn button in the centre of the wheel can be fixed, parts are available for little money and bit of patience.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 08:39   #3
p1800

Thanks Derek
Is the single horn wired up to the stalk - and the pair of horns operated by the steering wheel push ?
Mike
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 12:07   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1800 View Post
Thanks Derek
Is the single horn wired up to the stalk - and the pair of horns operated by the steering wheel push ?
Mike
Some 1800 models have two horn pushes which I think they use for town and country horns. If you have a handbook that will probably explain. A comment from other 1800 owners needed here.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 12:20   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

P;

I cant answer your questions with certainty, but I am following this thread and will compile info into the Horns Notes compilation here: http://www.sw-em.com/122_horn_notes.htm

Typical P1800 Wiring Diagram like here: http://www.sw-em.com/1800%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg ...does not show a relay, but there were variations from the factory, such as your dual Horns arrangement...as well as changes by POs...so one needs to do some careful investigating to determine which arrangement one truly has...then troubleshooting can follow...

The "pop" noise is actually a good sign...in that it rather confirms that switch is working and that power is being applied to something (either a Relay or Horns themselves)..confirming source of pop will be a good start to troubleshooting! Horns can indeed be checked by disconnecting them from normal wiring, and directly connecting them to Battery power...observe polarity!

Horns are actually a close cousin to relays! They are in fact also a coil on an iron core, set to pull in a moving armature...but the contact which the armature controls is in series with its own coil...so the whole thing self-vibrates as shown in the article...but if the critical characteristics change, due to contact wear or corrosion of the moving parts... it might not work...non-working Horns (once confirmed) can certainly be replaced, but there's little satisfaction of curiosity in that...drill rivets to open, its often possible to repair them and bring back function...! Remember also that Horns are a pretty significant electrical load...this means good high current connections for the entire current path are required!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 13:45   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You should have a horn relay, a smallish rectangular one. Check and clean the wires and connectors. You can also check the horns individually with a jumper wire from your battery or a spare one. Earth is to the fixing bolt which is probably fine so a single wire from the positive of the battery to the horn tag should wake it up, or not. Clean up all the contacts anyway. The horn button in the centre of the wheel can be fixed, parts are available for little money and bit of patience.
The fixing bolts corrode and cause bad earth. Make sure clean and rust free to chassis. been there, had that!
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 17:32   #7
p1800

Thanks, I'll check the earth

If I do that and want to test if the horn is working - There are 2 spade connectors on each horn - which one should i put power to to test it ? ?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 08:56   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1800 View Post
Thanks, I'll check the earth

If I do that and want to test if the horn is working - There are 2 spade connectors on each horn - which one should i put power to to test it ? ?
Makes no difference.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 18:45   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

P;

If two Terminals are present, both connections to the internal circuit are brought out and accessible, so there is no polarity preference*.

If Horn has only one Terminal, lowside is internally connected to chassis, so this polarity must be observed.

*BUT...for the purposes of troubleshooting, I'd trace back wires from terminals, either by color code or by seeing which one actually goes to chassis, and duplicate this polarity arrangement during test. (...because polarity on actuating coil determines direction of armature movement, and with a sluggish armature, this might be significant!)

Remember also that a poor connection ANYWHERE in the current path can cause voltage drops and functional issues.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horn, horn wiring, p1800 horn