Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Corrosion - can it be reduced or prevented?

Views : 2735

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 11:36   #31
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Very interesting re LED thank you. I have fitted Bosch plus 120 bulbs. Simpler and far more likely to be OK.

"chrome effect vinyl car wrap material" is a new concept thingy to me. That sounds interesting. I can see the possible problem with tape thank you.

By the way, Derek did clearly point out that the tape needs to be smoothed. Nice and smooth with no bubbles. Perhaps maybe easier with the car wrap material.

But for myself I don't see the point of investing the time, effort and frustration in dismantling the headlamps, someohow re using the old seal, the old metal clips and the old plastic mounting clips, and just patching up the old relfectors. Cleaning it all up and putting it together again.

Not for me. I replaced the reflectors et al.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:04   #32
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Due to how the light is emmitted , it is likely the light will scatter & cause odd patterns on beam test machine , I know as I am failing many cars for LED dip beam & rubbish beam pattern . However LED in Main beam is fine as the light is not focused in the same way as dip beam is
Dingo,
Are you an MOT tester? In which case - can you clear up the question about legality of using LEDs in cars which didn't originally have them. Something about the lenses being designed for old bulbs, plus no regulation about LED light patterns (scatter etc).

Here's an article
https://www.motoringassist.com/motor...ght-bulbs-car/

It's OK to use them for internal lights.

Halfords sell automotive LEDs with 'offroad use only' in smallprint on the back of the packet.

Insurance companies may use LEDs as an excuse to void policies.

What are your thoughts?
(Sorry this thread is supposed to be about headlight corrosion - I did start up another thread about LEDs, but the conversation is here).

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:29   #33
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
....this thread is supposed to be about headlight corrosion...
Headlight corrosion as a thread? Whose dim idea was that?

And who cares anyway? LOL

Let's hear about LED. Please.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:32.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 13:02   #34
rtbcomp

To broaden the topic slightly, what about LEDs in side, tail & brake lights?

Especially side/tail if you park up with the sidelights on.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 19:06   #35
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
To broaden the topic slightly, what about LEDs in side, tail & brake lights?

Especially side/tail if you park up with the sidelights on.

rtbcomp
Are you asking about whether LED lights work, or whether they are road legal for these purposes?

Headlights are a slightly different topic, because beam direction and shape is so specific, and an MOT tester might fail LEDs for these reasons, as opposed to them simply being against the regs.

But LEDs in tail-lights, indicators etc would probably pass an MOT, because the tester might generally see a working light, pass it, and won't have reason to start checking the bulb type. The 'legality' of them would probably only be an issue if there was an accident.

As tail-lights etc, LEDs work well - other than triggering the bulb failure light on the dash (because they have different resistance/current draw to a normal bulb). But having said that, due to the risk of dazzling other motorists, you wouldn't want lights which were too bright, or a quality of light which affected their vision. Equally you wouldn't want lights which were too dull.

There just doesn't seem to be any industry regulations with automotive LEDS, and this might be a big reason why they haven't been authorised. For instance where as any normal 21w/5w tail-light bulb will generally be similar in output to any other, these rules don't apply with LEDs. You can buy LED replacement bayonet bulbs for a 21w/5w, and they could have 16 or 24 or 40 individual LEDs, whose arrays may be arranged differently, and the LEDs themselves may be red, yellow-ish white, blue-ish white etc etc. There is huge variation. I know because I bought several pairs off ebay to experiment.

Perhaps if VOSA/DVSA decided on standards in LED replacement bulbs, which the manufacturers had to adhere to, then perhaps that could pave the way for their use in older vehicles. If that happened it would be a no-brainer to convert over to them because they use 20% of the power and last indefinitely.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 19:43   #36
rtbcomp

Thanks for the explanation, I was really interested in the legal aspect.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 21:48   #37
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

John,

Did you find any stop/tail or any front side/position light LEDs on eBay that you are happy to use? If so which ones are they from which seller(s) and how would you describe their light colour and brightness? Thanks.

With ordinary bulbs for front side/position lights, there is a 10w bulb available.

EDIT: P.S. The obvious has just occurred to me. Brighter rear lights must not be anywhere near as bright as rear high intensity rear lights! ("rear fog lights.")

P.P.S. I remember in the early days of high intensity rear lights as accessories, there were some available with Quartz Halogen bulbs. I saw them in use as a set of four on a police Land Rover on the M1. In the early hours AFTER serious fog had almost cleared. Wow bright. That brightness did not stay on sale for long....too bright I suspect.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 11th, 2017 at 22:08.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 22:22   #38
dingov70
Master Member

Dingo,
Are you an MOT tester? In which case - can you clear up the question about legality of using LEDs in cars which didn't originally have them. Something about the lenses being designed for old bulbs, plus no regulation about LED light patterns (scatter etc).

YES I am ,
Put it simply , we check each light illuminates when operated , is the correct colour & Dip beam pattern is as as shown in the diagram
:-

I have had reason to fail cars with ultra bright LED bulbs over the rear number plate , capable of fading the reflective backing as you watch ( through a welding mask !) . As well as comedians fitting blue , red , green or purple front sidelights . The regs require a steady white or yellow if fitted within a continental style yellow headlight & steady red to the rear .

Bottom line as a tester is does it work ? , yes ? , = pass . Right colour & working = pass . Failing incorrectly can result in gaining penalty points against my testing licence , so most likely result is pass & advise .

HID aftermarket kits fitted into halogen type headlights without projectors lens FAIL all the way .

DVSA has as yet not issued any strict guidelines about LED bulbs . feel free to read our "bible / qouran / words to the wise "

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....4i00000001.htm .

Also being truthful , my V70 has ABM projector lights up front fitted with HID dip & LED in mains , LED angle eyes behind fresnel ring around projector lens & W5W COB in original sidelight position . All rear bulbs are led behind prismatic lenses , no problems BUT all are equivalent to standard tungsten bulbs
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 22:30   #39
dingov70
Master Member

http://www.motuk.com/bike/lights_diagram1.gif

For the above post of mine , damn thing would not let me edit ???????

I know it says bike but is identical to car/van requirements
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 00:35   #40
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Thanks a lot Dingo
That's cleared a lot of things up.

So judging by what you're saying, and what's in that guide, it would seem that - headlights aside - when it comes to tail-lights, indicators, etc, that an MOT tester is looking for basic functionality including colour etc of light, and the type of light isn't considered in itself.

Headlights - that's a different matter, because they have parameters of light shape and direction, and unless the headlight unit was designed for LEDs, with the lens etc, then there's always going to be a problem.

So it would appear that - other than headlights - if the LED replacement was functionally similar - eg - brightness, colour etc, then they will pass an MOT and would be acceptable.

The MOT guideline doesn't mention anything about type of bulb, it concentrates solely on functionality.

But what about this document
https://www.motoringassist.com/motor...ght-bulbs-car/

and why do Halfords have 'off-road use only' on their LEDs?

* Also - if you are using equivalent replacement LEDs bulbs, what type did you use because there's so many on the market, some over-powered, others under-powered.

John