Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Corrosion - can it be reduced or prevented?

Views : 2738

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2017, 12:39   #41
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Dingov70, thanks.

I am also interested in the LED that you are using as front/position/side lights and as stop/tail, and are you using lED for indicators? What make and model number and what seller please?

Are they basically the same, or slightly more, brightness as ordinary bulbs? How do the front side light LED compare to 10w ordinary bulbs?

Are your LED basically used "only" to get longer life and reduce the risk of "bulb" failure?

You mentioned your lamp lenses used with LED. Are you using standard Volvo lamp lenses, or?

Thanks.

Oh and what is that film stuff you mentioned instead of shiny sticky tape? What is it really usually used for and where does one get it???

You have raised some questions in my remnants of a mind.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 12:39   #42
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Very interesting re LED thank you. I have fitted Bosch plus 120 bulbs. Simpler and far more likely to be OK.

"chrome effect vinyl car wrap material" is a new concept thingy to me. That sounds interesting. I can see the possible problem with tape thank you.

By the way, Derek did clearly point out that the tape needs to be smoothed. Nice and smooth with no bubbles. Perhaps maybe easier with the car wrap material.

But for myself I don't see the point of investing the time, effort and frustration in dismantling the headlamps, someohow re using the old seal, the old metal clips and the old plastic mounting clips, and just patching up the old relfectors. Cleaning it all up and putting it together again.

Not for me. I replaced the reflectors et al.
I fully agree when talking about reflectors from 81-onwards. These modern ones can be bought for 50-60 eur or thereabouts.

But I have a couple of these rectangular models of 1979-1980 which cannot be found anywhere anymore. The chrome wrapping sounds interesting to me or else polishing and spraying. Wonder whether anyone ever did this to these obsolete units. Checked all post in this topic but couldn't find any pics.
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skidje For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 21:50   #43
dingov70
Master Member

Evening all , my side light & angle eyes/ stop light fog / brake lights & main beams are LED , indicators are still tungsten as i refused to buy another very expensive solid state flasher unit . Being totally honest I bought most things including the chrome wrapping film off Ebay .

My rear light units are factory fitment with no problems , I decided on LED as I got fed up of checking bulbs on every vehicle we own ( rmember my job ? , MOT tester ! . Busman's holiday that one ) . It began with my Merc Sprinter as they have a taste for trashing number plate lights . I then installed LED's in the roof area to light the load area . Very little current used & almost daylight levels of light from 3 x 25mm wide discs .

The film is actually used to wrap car bodies & such like , changing colours , adding carbon fibre effects or simply making your car look like it was chrome plated . If you use the film , my advice is to cut the film to size with the backing in place , remove one edge , heat & smooth down carefully . Stretch as required CAREFULLY to remove bumps Etc.

As for Halfrauds & "offroad only " , ask them . They are probably covering their arses incase of a liabily claim
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 22:13   #44
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My headlights are sorted. And aligned thanks to a friendly MOT tester. Had to persuade him to take some cash but his time is for earning his living init.

My slam panel arrives tomorrow I hope, by DPD. And I must take the car to the body man to get that welding done.

Otherwise the car should probably be satisfied with the work done so far, until spring perhaps. How many or how few car jobs can I tick off my list before the wether really turns. We have strong wind warnings here tonight. Autumn is set in. Doing the headlamps I turned to thinking, why oh why am I STILL doing my own repairs???

It will soon be time to turn to the list of indoor jobs? Get the house a little bit towards habitable?
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 00:38   #45
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
...indicators are still tungsten as i refused to buy another very expensive solid state flasher unit
You don't have to buy a special flasher unit, just use a resistor to kid the indicator circuit it's got ordinary bulbs.

at 12v a 21w bulb takes 1.75 amps, 2 take 3.5 amps, so you need 3.4 Ohm 50Watt resistor. 3.3 or 3.9 ohm are the nearest preferred values. I'd go for the 3.9 (3R9) resistor as the LED lamps will still take some current.

If you can't get a resistor then connect 2 12v 21w bulbs in parallel
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 09:42   #46
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
You don't have to buy a special flasher unit, just use a resistor to kid the indicator circuit it's got ordinary bulbs.

at 12v a 21w bulb takes 1.75 amps, 2 take 3.5 amps, so you need 3.4 Ohm 50Watt resistor. 3.3 or 3.9 ohm are the nearest preferred values. I'd go for the 3.9 (3R9) resistor as the LED lamps will still take some current.

If you can't get a resistor then connect 2 12v 21w bulbs in parallel
Further to what I've just said - you need a resistor for each side of the car.

On a 240 the indicators don't go through the bulb failure unit the above will work OK, for cars with more sophisticated electrics you may need a resistor of double the above values at each indicator lamp.

Another point to bear in mind is that if a LED bulb fails the flasher unit will still think there is a bulb in place, the flashing rate will be same so the driver won't be aware of bulb failure.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 13:20   #47
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm just wondering - is there an LED that will fit in place of the 5w front position side lamp and give light equivalent to approximately 21w? Restoration of the true daylight driving lamps, but without the switching to 5w of the old 5/21 bulbs.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 00:31   #48
dingov70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I'm just wondering - is there an LED that will fit in place of the 5w front position side lamp and give light equivalent to approximately 21w? Restoration of the true daylight driving lamps, but without the switching to 5w of the old 5/21 bulbs.
Possibly , but Don't , 5w is what the law prescribes for a front position lamp & not 21w, think dazzle ! . I have W5W COB LED in side light of Sprinter & V70 , far brighter due to colour temp when compared to tungsten original . 5w led appears brighter possible due to larger surface emmiting light compared to tungsten filament
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 10:09   #49
rtbcomp

I think there's a law about the maximum wattage light you can have on when you're parked, and IIRC a 21 watt light (or equivalent) would be illegal.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 11:35   #50
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Possibly , but Don't , 5w is what the law prescribes for a front position lamp & not 21w, think dazzle ! . I have W5W COB LED in side light of Sprinter & V70 , far brighter due to colour temp when compared to tungsten original . 5w led appears brighter possible due to larger surface emmiting light compared to tungsten filament
So your W5W COB LED is brighter than an ordinary 5w bulb?

How does it compare to a 10w bulb?

And how does it measure to the law and to dazzle?

What make/supplier/seller is it?

Thanks.