Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.6 drivE cutting out with fault codes

Views : 4934

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2017, 04:49   #1
Al115
Premier Member

Question V50 1.6 drivE cutting out with fault codes

Hello - long time, no post, but I'm back with an interesting query (and a request for help!)

My parents' V50 1.6 driveE (2010, diesel, manual, 50k miles) is cutting out (engine dies) under load. When restarted it runs fine.

The vehicle is fully serviced including recent fuel filter and also new DPF.

When the generic fault codes are checked after such an event, we see ECM 2520 and ECM 2550. I don't have VIDA/DICE diagnostics to hand unfortunately.

We can take the car to a local main dealer, but before doing that - any bright ideas as to what we should expect, please?

All help gratefully received!
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 20:02   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

When you say fully service are they using genuine parts as it sounds like fuel starvation and this is common with fuel filters blocked but if its new then it might be a restriction rather than built up of crap inside it
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 02:55   #3
Al115
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
When you say fully service are they using genuine parts as it sounds like fuel starvation and this is common with fuel filters blocked but if its new then it might be a restriction rather than built up of crap inside it
Thanks Rooster. Yes it does sound as if this could be it. Unfortunately we had a genuine Volvo fuel filter fitted less than 1000 miles ago, didn't fix the issue

What's next in line? In-tank pump? I know nothing about diesels. I've upgraded a few fuel pumps on my old T4/T5 variants, but they were probably much cheaper and easier
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 16:48   #4
Ignatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al115 View Post

My parents' V50 1.6 driveE (2010, diesel, manual, 50k miles) is cutting out (engine dies) under load. When restarted it runs fine.

This are the exact same symptoms my 2010 C30 1.6D Drive suffered last year. The cause was one of the small bore pipes becoming corroded and disconnected from the DPF. These were replaced and as a precaution the fuel filter changed too. Fixed it.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 18:00   #5
Al115
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
This are the exact same symptoms my 2010 C30 1.6D Drive suffered last year. The cause was one of the small bore pipes becoming corroded and disconnected from the DPF. These were replaced and as a precaution the fuel filter changed too. Fixed it.
Thank you! It would be great if that was the issue.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 18:35   #6
Al115
Premier Member

So we took the vehicle to our local Main Dealer (Marshall's, in Welwyn GC) and guess what they told us after half an hour's diagnosis: we should change the fuel filter. Even though it was changed 5k miles ago!

They checked a bunch of other stuff "which was all fine". I will post up here when I have the list of specifics.

There can't be that much to go wrong in the fuel system, can there? I assume it's just a pump, a filter, some hoses and non-return valves, and the injectors / solenoids...?
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 10:47   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
They checked a bunch of other stuff "which was all fine". I will post up here when I have the list of specifics.
Old thread revival but what was the issue in the end? Our V50 has just started doing the same thing with the same fault codes.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 11:14   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Old thread revival but what was the issue in the end? Our V50 has just started doing the same thing with the same fault codes.
The codes are both for low fuel pressure , in 9 times out of 10 it is the fuel filter ... otherwise it will need professional diagnosis .