Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T5 Stiff Steering

Views : 3569

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 18:56   #11
poiuytre111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
Not sure how many miles you have but steering racks don't usually cause problems, and less likely given it's temperature related and specific to that position left and right.
As I said, I have a funny feeling no one has found an answer to this issue.
My brother used to work for the people who made BL racks in Hemel and one day they had one in to recon where the track had been ground away by the pinion (in the middle position) - they assumed it had missed the heat treatment....
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 21:37   #12
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Hi Welsh Phil,

I have what feels like the same problem as the one you described. I also have a T5 (2004, 172,000 miles, still fantastic) I first noticed it about a year ago ie in the onset of the cold and wet weather of the winter. I had the strut top bearings replaced but no real improvement. In the summer the problem was not really noticeable but now it is back for the winter. I wonder if you resolved the problem and if so what was the answer?

Cheers, Keith
What does your PAS fluid level look like? Is it still completely full or has it dropped?

Both our Volvos S40 and V50 have had steering rack issues. The S40 seals began leaking but using PAS leak fluid (I forget the brand) stopped it. The V50 hydraulic pipes on the rack corroded and had to be replaced. A local garage fabricated replacement pipes avoiding rack replacement. In the case of the S40 the only symptom was fluid leaking on the drive. In the case of the V50 the notchy steering was the giveaway sign with stiff spots being apparent especially when the car was cold.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Dec 12th, 2017 at 21:40.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 16:16   #13
V50France

Default Fixed it via this Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Hi Welsh Phil,

I have what feels like the same problem as the one you described. I also have a T5 (2004, 172,000 miles, still fantastic) I first noticed it about a year ago ie in the onset of the cold and wet weather of the winter. I had the strut top bearings replaced but no real improvement. In the summer the problem was not really noticeable but now it is back for the winter. I wonder if you resolved the problem and if so what was the answer?

Cheers, Keith
I did more research on this topic in the forum and found several references to the benefits of using LUCAS Power Steering Stop Leak. I bought the 355 ml bottle from Amazon. I then used the very helpful information in this article to set about removing some of the old fluid....

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264075

I used a piece of plastic tube to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir. I then removed the reservoir and sucked out the fluid from the pipe going down to the pump. I reassembled things and filled up with the Lucas fluid. It has the consistency of Golden Syrup and I only used about 300 ml. A 5 mile test drive saw the steering start to feel much better. I then left the car for a week of cold and wet weather. A second test drive showed the problem was totally cured and the steering now feels like it must have done when the car had done 170,000 miles fewer than it has on the clock now. Sublime steering and a very cost effective fix. This is a product I fully endorse.
V50France is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V50France For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:22   #14
jgtbazandianne

My car has the same stiff point in the centre.
I've changed the rack, pump and fluid, I've also check all the bushing.
Did anyone ever found out the cause of this issue?
jgtbazandianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 01:55   #15
Hammy713

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshphil7805 View Post
Hi all i have a strange fault on my car.
The steering has a hard spot just left and right of centre when cold.
This eases up when driven for a few miles.
I am led to believe that this model has hydro/electric power steering and is speed sensitive.
The symptoms are only present when moving and stationary the steering is as it should be.
i have looked on various sites and some mentioned the lower steering u/j being partially seized but if that is the case then it should be sticking at any speed.
I am thinking it could be either the rack or the pump.
i intend to do a fluid flush first then see what happens.
Has anyone had a similar fault?
This is an old post but not an outdated issue. Any fix by chance?

Thanks,
Craig

2007 S40 T5 AWD
Hammy713 is offline   Reply With Quote