Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

U.S. Build P1800. LS1 (V8) 5-Speed, Flush Mount Glass Kit

Views : 56479

Replies : 259

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:42   #1
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Default U.S. Build P1800. LS1 (V8) 5-Speed, Flush Mount Glass Kit

Hello from the States.. I am currently in the process of build a Pro-Touring style P1800 based off the Renditions of the Vox Volvo. I will be performing body mods and developing Newly Designed glass kits to update the car. I will be moulding the grill shell into the body and extending it a bit forward at the top, installing layed back headlamps with the outer glass lenses, recessing the tail lamps and license plate mount, installing a hood scoop, shaving drip rails, flaring out the quarters and fenders a bit, moulding in the front marker lights, removing the side trim, modifying 63 Corvette rear bumpers.

I am working with a suspension company to see if we can develope a bolt in updated crossmember.. The options will be rack and pinions steering, tubular control arms, adjustable Coil over (height and dampning), up to 13 inch drilled slotted rotors with 6 piston calipers, and the crossmember will accept several motor configerations.. I am also having some nice 4-link adjustable arms made for the existing rear end with coil over shock replacment for the factory Coil spring.

My company designs Flush Mount Glass Kits for the classic cars and they require no body mods. I will be making the flush mount windshield and rear glass, along with the one piece Green House glass roof and rear glass. I am not sure if they will be offered for sale, because I am not sure the demand would be there.. I have always loved these cars, and fell in love with the updated version.

This is what I started with.. I paid 1000 U.S dollars for this car, and it ran just fine. I had installed the wheels and lowered a bit to see what size wheels the body would accept without evasive mods.

I am sure all you guys are familar with this rendition of the P1800 Volvo done by a designer from Vox.

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; Feb 5th, 2011 at 03:13.
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:47   #2
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

My first engine and drivetrain source, was the Toyota Supra's 2jz twin turbo inline 6 cylinder and 6-speed.. I really wanted to go this route because I felt European car in this style should not have a V8 in it.. The 2jz motor looked beautiful in the car, but it was going to take way too much work to make it happen.. Dont get me wrong, the V8 is work, but it was going to take even more to get the car to drive right with the motor positioning..

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:56   #3
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Now for the body mods so far... I have added a hood scoop from a donor car, it fits perfectly I think.. I didnt have to do any manipulation to shape it, it had all the correct contours and curves..

I removed the drip rails, and will be making larger quarter glass openings with the correct shaped glass to fill in the holes.. There is a curve to the body there, so it wouldnt look right to just install flat glass.

I have shortened the Rear Fins by several inches, and I think it actually looks alot cleaner and sophisticated. They are just roughed in at this point, and will need some hammering and dollying, and finish welding to look better..

This next week, I will be working on the Flush Mount Windshield and Rear Glass.. After I get the samples made, I will then start on the Green House Roof pattern, and working on the install channel for the roof.

The Green Tape outlines the Quarter Window and Green House Roof... I think they look fairly proportional.

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:59   #4
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:03   #5
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are the Drip Rails and the Hood Scoop Install pics..

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 03:22   #6
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

One of my next issues is the Tail lamps.. I cant seem to find a recessed light style that ressembles the P1800 or the Vox rendition, so I am considering other options.. It appears that I may be able to make the bulb sockets snap into the body to get rid of the tail light housing. The lense fits in body where the housing would normally mount, so I am considering a few options to stream line them if I dont actually recess them.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:48   #7
Tail
Master Member

Thats some project and that engine looks like a very snug fit in the engine bay, very much like a modern car with no room around the engine to work on it, good luck and keep those pictures coming. Any more pictures of that Amazon in the background it looks like it has some nice wheels fitted

PS those bobbers look good as well, some nice projects you have going, just wish i had all that space....
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 17:19   #8
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
Thats some project and that engine looks like a very snug fit in the engine bay, very much like a modern car with no room around the engine to work on it, good luck and keep those pictures coming. Any more pictures of that Amazon in the background it looks like it has some nice wheels fitted

PS those bobbers look good as well, some nice projects you have going, just wish i had all that space....

Thanks.... I am not running that engine anymore, because it was too front heavy.. I am actually running an all aluminum LS1 v8 at about 500 horsepower instead.

As far as the Amazon, I just picked that one up last week.. I had it delivered from New Mexico. It runs and drives, and is pretty rust free, just a bit in the drivers door bottom.. The rockers are great, quarters great, floors are intact, and trunk is nice.. I got the car for a 1000 dollars U.S. plus 500 dollars shipping. My plans for it is to drive it around a bit, then I am putting a 6.0 liter V8 and 4l60e 4-speed automatic trans. The wheels seem to fit pretty good, they are 19x8 and 19x10 wheels. I am going to lower the car about 3 inches, and paint it in a satin color.

I have 6 Triumph builds and we are coming out with our own products for them in the Bobber/Boardtracker theme.. The Oil tanks, battery boxes, weight sensitive seat mounts, ect, ect... The one in the pics is about to go out for paint, then it will be on the market for sale.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 18:58   #9
Tail
Master Member

Thanks for the better pictures, those wheels are absolutely massive, looks like those rears stick outside the arches a bit though...
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 19:23   #10
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
Thanks for the better pictures, those wheels are absolutely massive, looks like those rears stick outside the arches a bit though...
I lowered it a bit today, and yes the rear wheels are a bit tight, but I have 1 1/4" spacers behind the wheel.. I can do a bit of machining and get the dialed in a bit better...

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post: