Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

Views : 18086

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:25   #11
222s
Amazoniste

Presumably though a good chrome polish / cleaner can still be applied after the aluminium foil has been used, in order to make the cleaned up finish last longer / protect the chrome?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 20:51   #12
random_noise
VOC Member

Well, I finally got round to putting in my new gearbox today (many thanks to Julian who sold me it!).

Things went reasonably straight forward. I have come to realise that I need to invest in a set of imperial spanners. Oddly enough though there is a mix of metric & imperial in use on my car (thanks to some previous owners).

Now I have 4 fully functioning gears! Box is much smother than my old one was too.

Was too busy getting the box installed to take a lot of pictures but here are a couple of highlights.

Box out ready for the new one to go in.

Poor condition of the locating slots of the old box

Replacement box- much better condition

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 22:04   #13
Amma122s

Looks a real nice Amazon I noticed the VOLVO logo on the bonnet was in gold lettering.. I have a '66 Amazon too but they're in silver, are they supposed to be gold ?
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amma122s For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 22:11   #14
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_noise View Post
Poor condition of the locating slots of the old box
Re the worn slots on that gearbox cover: I did an experiment recently on an old gearbox cover and posted the results on Brickboard.com (where I post as simplesimon). That may give you some ideas.

See:

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/...ert_danny.html
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:05   #15
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amma122s View Post
Looks a real nice Amazon I noticed the VOLVO logo on the bonnet was in gold lettering.. I have a '66 Amazon too but they're in silver, are they supposed to be gold ?
Thanks Amma. I think that they are supposed to be silver- my ones have been painted gold by a PO... There are lots of interesting little 'touches' like that. I suspect the chrome may have been tatty so they painted them, but I agree it looks quite nice so I'm not too bothered.

Dave
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:10   #16
222s
Amazoniste

Some are supposed to be gold, some silver. IIRC, the earlier cars are gold, but I can't remember the year of the change over to chrome letters. It will no doubt be on the excellent www.volvoamazonpictures.se website!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:11   #17
Amma122s

I think I read somewhere up to '66 they were in fact in gold and silver from '67..just not really sure
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:18   #18
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
Re the worn slots on that gearbox cover: I did an experiment recently on an old gearbox cover and posted the results on Brickboard.com (where I post as simplesimon). That may give you some ideas.

See:

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/...ert_danny.html
Simon,
That is a really interesting thread! Not sure I would be able to do as good a job as you with fixing the slot- the idea of rounding it out more & putting a collar round the locating pin might work for me though. I actually have 2 spare M40 boxes now. Both have the same issue with the plate at the top. I have no idea on the condition of one of my spare boxes (came with the car & PO also inherited in an unknown condition). The box I just removed did work- it popped out of 4th a lot, but I think that may have been partially due to the slop. Will maybe give this a go as its always handy to have a spare that is ready to go in case of emergencies.

I was fortunate that M40 boxes seem to be pretty easy to come by (I guess because so may people want to upgrade to an M41 for high speed cruising).

Dave
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:20   #19
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amma122s View Post
I think I read somewhere up to '66 they were in fact in gold and silver from '67..just not really sure
Hmm, not sure then. My previous '66 didn't have gold letters & I'm pretty sure the ones on my car are painted (you can see brush marks). Will have to investigate them further tomorrow

Dave

Last edited by random_noise; Oct 6th, 2013 at 23:21. Reason: typo
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 07:31   #20
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Glad the box worked out well for you. Made a bit of much needed space in my workshop too.
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote