Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Preparing for massive road trip - to-do checklist

Views : 1360

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2014, 23:25   #1
RSready

Default Preparing for massive road trip - to-do checklist

I picked up my 122S earlier this month and over the winter, I plan on preparing it for an 8000-KM road trip next summer, where it will get driven somewhat hard. The car was last daily driven in California in 2010. It was brought to Canada after that and only run sporadically since. I have had it running, but there's a big hole in the rad, so I haven't run it for very long or driven it at all.

I've started a to-do list but I know that I am missing things. Although I will drive the car hard, I am building it for reliability more than anything. Here is my list so far:

Engine/Drivetrain
Replace spark plugs - done
Replace spark plug wires - done
Replace coil
Replace distributor cap - done
Replace rotor - done
Replace points
Replace battery
Replace battery cables - done
Replace all fuel line - done
Replace fuel filter - done
Drain/clean fuel tank – done
Rebuild carbs
Replace air filters
Replace fan belt
Complete compression test
Clean carb
Adjust valves
Replace valve cover gasket
Pick up rad, have it tested and cleaned
Replace radiator hoses
Replace clutch/flywheel
Inspect transmission/replace fluid
Inspect differential/replace fluid
Replace differential gasket
Replace engine mounts

Brakes
Flush all fluid
Replace all soft lines (Stainless?)
Turn/replace front rotors
Rebuild front calipers
Replace pads
Replace shoes/hardware
Replace/rebuild master cylinder

Suspension
Replace shocks/springs
Replace tie rods
Replace ball joints
Replace all bushings

Wheels/tires
Sandblast/paint wheels
Replace tires and spare

Exterior
Replace weather stripping in rear ¼ windows
Replace door weather stripping
Replace wipers
Clean/buff oxidized paint

Interior
Purchase seats from parts car – done
Replace seats
Install headrests?
Install tachometer
Clean thoroughly
Tidy up dash wiring
Remove/replace dash pad
Fix horn
Replace or re-web seat belts

So? What am I missing?
RSready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 06:28   #2
volvogv
Master Member

You forgot to overhaul the fuel pump.
That's an optimistic list.....When do you plan to sleep? Lol!

You say you'll be driving hard. Are you trying to set a distance/time record?
Have a great trip. Nothing drives like an Amazon!
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvogv For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 17:03   #3
RSready

Right, fuel pump and water pump too! It definitely is an optimistic list but I have eight months, so I should have plenty of time to complete everything.

Not shooting for any records. I should have said I'll be driving it hard occasionally at a few off highway spots, not throughout the whole trip
RSready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 23:40   #4
davidw6092

Default long journeys

Some years ago I did a rally prep for a guy named John Tallis.He had done the London Sydney marathon in a then new amazon in 68 I think it was.32000 miles later he got to Sydney.He then parked the car up(first in a field)then in a barn until2008 or 9 I think.He then wanted to do the next London/Sydney and asked me to reprep the car.It was pretty much stock except for a larger fuel tank and progressive springs.I did the bare minimum to make sure he would get to Sydney.Probabaly less than you intend to do.I then gave him a quick course on how to look after the car,daily checks,weekly checks greasing and spanner checking.He phoned me up from Sydney saying he had won his class,no problems with the car at all.I asked whether he had done his maintenance as I explained.His reply "I checked the oil and water when we got to india,other than that,nothing !!!"Tough old cars these Volvos!Have a great trip.Dave
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 11:36   #5
Anthony 69
VOC Member

David,

Very interesting, it is great for all owners that the Amazon is as tough as that. My '64 122S with O/D is great fun, and I admit to doing the minimum to her oil and water occasionally. Once a year she gets a general service at MOT time.

Given your experience it would be a real help to me and I am sure others if you are able to maybe list the regime of ongoing maintenance to keep these great cars in a reliable and safe state, for use on todays roads.

Is that something you are willing to do, maybe we could then have it as a Sticky for all to benefit from. I hope you do not mind me making this request to you.

Anthony
Anthony 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony 69 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 11:54   #6
Anthony 69
VOC Member

RSready,

A very interesting list, are you completing any checks on the wiring, fuses and electrical items, I am thinking more the connections and if the wiring has hardened over the years may be a little brittle or have corrosion on the various terminals by now.

Anthony
Anthony 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2014, 13:19   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Being an ex Ca car it may never have had a windscreen washer set-up. An easy and essential item to fit IMO. Use a twin "owl eyes" jet in the hood and a later type combined tank and electric pump. The later can be replaced by a cheaper generic type with the pump in the side of the Tank if you like.

New wiper arms and blades are an investment. Sloppy and worn old ones don't work well, they're not brilliant in the first place, so on a wet and windy night you need all the help you can get. Maybe check out http://www.marinco.com/en/products/wiper-systems These are for boats so have to cope with a lot. Adjustable arms not ideal but if their bladed fit a suitable standard arm that's good. They have 11.5" and 12" blades which should work well. Some people use 10", but these leave quite a bit of the screen un-wiped.
Update us as you go and tick off the work done.

Last edited by Derek UK; Oct 31st, 2014 at 13:39. Reason: Addition
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2014, 08:28   #8
AidanC

Last year I drove my '71 VW Camper to Germany, covering 4,000 km. I'd recently restored it so my service list was similar to yours but not quite as thorough. I still took a comprehensive kit of service parts and tools.

The one issue that I had was a problem with the distributor cap (new, Bosch) so the engine ran a bit rough towards the end of my trip. The manufacture of quality parts has moved to cheaper locations and in some cases quality has suffered. Replacing all service items is a good idea but don't assume that just because you're replaced it that it'll be completely reliable. Bring spares and be methodical if you do have to do any diagnosis along the way.

It sounds like it'll be a great trip!
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 21:28   #9
jamie
amazon1954

Default from Bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw6092 View Post
Some years ago I did a rally prep for a guy named John Tallis.He had done the London Sydney marathon in a then new amazon in 68 I think it was.32000 miles later he got to Sydney.He then parked the car up(first in a field)then in a barn until2008 or 9 I think.He then wanted to do the next London/Sydney and asked me to reprep the car.It was pretty much stock except for a larger fuel tank and progressive springs.I did the bare minimum to make sure he would get to Sydney.Probabaly less than you intend to do.I then gave him a quick course on how to look after the car,daily checks,weekly checks greasing and spanner checking.He phoned me up from Sydney saying he had won his class,no problems with the car at all.I asked whether he had done his maintenance as I explained.His reply "I checked the oil and water when we got to india,other than that,nothing !!!"Tough old cars these Volvos!Have a great trip.Dave
I have seen the car and held a meeting with John when he had achieved the drive the second time. the first time he had an accident and didn't manage to finish. The second time his wife was his navigator. What a team and the car was great. Later he met with us at Sparkford and put the car round their track. I wonder which field or barn the car is parked up in now. Perhaps I will ask around. I used to go to Israel regularly for months at a time and park my B20 up in a field. Sometimes I would come back and nettles had grown up through the engine compartment. Always started first time. Unbelievable....
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 21:40   #10
jamie
amazon1954

Default windscreen wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Being an ex Ca car it may never have had a windscreen washer set-up. An easy and essential item to fit IMO. Use a twin "owl eyes" jet in the hood and a later type combined tank and electric pump. The later can be replaced by a cheaper generic type with the pump in the side of the Tank if you like.

New wiper arms and blades are an investment. Sloppy and worn old ones don't work well, they're not brilliant in the first place, so on a wet and windy night you need all the help you can get. Maybe check out http://www.marinco.com/en/products/wiper-systems These are for boats so have to cope with a lot. Adjustable arms not ideal but if their bladed fit a suitable standard arm that's good. They have 11.5" and 12" blades which should work well. Some people use 10", but these leave quite a bit of the screen un-wiped.
Update us as you go and tick off the work done.
Hi Derek
So I understand that the replacement arms and blades from Marineco will fit the volvo amazon set up. I agree, mine are sloppy, so time for an upgrade. Do you have them on yours? Picture perhaps if you do have them.
Kind regards from
Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote