Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Temp gauge question

Views : 5025

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 21:31   #21
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default In and working

Well heres a salutary lesson, fitted the gauge having sorted a rogue connection and the gauge only worked when you tapped the gauge face installed in the speedo.

I eventually found a gasket that had fallen off on the bench unknown to me. It was just enough to allow the centre of the gauge to touch the glass hence the tapping making it move. Anyway after much sweat and swearing the gauge is in, works fine, is reading just past halfway when the engine is warmed up and has caused me to sort out some poor wiring at the same time hoping that will save me problems later.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to niveketak For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 15:21   #22
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

niveketak;

I'm bumping this thread as I am revisiting the Temp Indicator subject, and compiling info for a tech article in the works.

1. What is your impression of the Basart gauge conversion after having it in service for a while...accuracy, reliability?
2. I request permission to include and possibly repost some of your pictures in a Temp Gauge Notes article. I do notice that your picture of the rear of the Basart conversion don't quite quite match those shown on his site...comments?

Forum; To save me needing to measure it, does anyone know the confirmed thread size in the B18/20 cylinder head for the temp sensor of-hand? I'd like to also include this info.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 19:14   #23
niveketak
66 Amazon

Hi Ron

The gauge reads slightly beyond mid point when the engine is up to temp, it seems fine. I got stuck on a "balade" here on a really hot day, 40 plus C which is when the old cars do a trip round the town at car shows and Ruby got a bit warm due to frequent stops, three quarters on the gauge, although there were no problems and the temp dropped back to just past normal afterwards.

No problem with using any of the images, the back of the gauge if I was being a bit picky was scruffy in comparison but robust!

regards

Kevin
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 20:37   #24
la jetee

Default Replace PV 544 water temperature gauge

Thanks, Niveketak and others, for your very interesting articles and suggestions/observations.

>> I'm new here so please forgive me if I've broken any forum etiquette. <<

I've got to do this as well, am thinking of using a Basart unit and am not looking forward to it as I'm rather tall and not as agile as I used to be! A couple of questions.

1. Does the sender on the Basart unit fit directly into the block or is there some sort of sleeve/adapter that's needed? If so, what? The Basart sender thread looks much bigger than the original ether sender.

2 I've tried to get the sender unit out using an open-ended spanner with no luck. Should I just cut the ether cable and then use a socket/ring? Is it Metric or Imperial?

3. Does the Basart dial/needle need fixing/gluing into some fitting in the car? Your pix show a gasket and some sort of goo.

4. Most importantly, though I've had an initial crawl into the foot well, I can't see/feel any screws holding the gauge in place. Can you advise?

Any other tips? :-)

Thanks a lot.

My email is george@gmay.org.uk (if etiquette allows me to publish that)
la jetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 00:26   #25
northNH

I have an extra spare intact working original gauge/sensor unit I would securely send to wherever to whomever offered a fair price, which is what these days?
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 15:09   #26
csm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by la jetee View Post
Thanks, Niveketak and others, for your very interesting articles and suggestions/observations.

>> I'm new here so please forgive me if I've broken any forum etiquette. <<

I've got to do this as well, am thinking of using a Basart unit and am not looking forward to it as I'm rather tall and not as agile as I used to be! A couple of questions.

1. Does the sender on the Basart unit fit directly into the block or is there some sort of sleeve/adapter that's needed? If so, what? The Basart sender thread looks much bigger than the original ether sender.

2 I've tried to get the sender unit out using an open-ended spanner with no luck. Should I just cut the ether cable and then use a socket/ring? Is it Metric or Imperial?

3. Does the Basart dial/needle need fixing/gluing into some fitting in the car? Your pix show a gasket and some sort of goo.

4. Most importantly, though I've had an initial crawl into the foot well, I can't see/feel any screws holding the gauge in place. Can you advise?

Any other tips? :-)

Thanks a lot.

My email is george@gmay.org.uk (if etiquette allows me to publish that)
Can't address the Basart-related questions, but changing out the old capillary tube unit was the first job I did on my Amazon... I'll take two:

2. A 17mm thinwall crow's foot is perfect for this job (Snap-On #ANM 17 works well); other crow's feet might be hit-or-miss.

4. Two tiny screws on either side of the gauge hold it in place; not too bad, but subject to the usual frustrations. A magnetic-tipped screwdriver helps.
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csm22 For This Useful Post: