Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

updating volvo rti dvd

Views : 1196

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 16:58   #1
john langrick
Master Member

Default updating volvo rti dvd

Hi. I ave a 2003 XC90 and would like to update the satnav disk currently 2006. The part number of the set of disks I use are:-
Vcc 30775819 0622 Europe
DVD part no T1000-10940A/B/C
Pack no T1000-10769.

I just need Disk A for UK and have recently ordered and tried. However the disk gives an error displaying disk cannot be read, after about 30 secs. You can hear the DVD seeking.

When I replace my old DVD, the unit works fine and I never get any read errors.

The supplier sent me another copy but same problem.

I have explained the year and model of my car, but I read there could be alternative formats. Can anyone advise?

Incidentally I can open the DVD on my laptop and see the files and directories.

Thanks john l

Last edited by john langrick; Nov 18th, 2017 at 17:00. Reason: spelling
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 17:31   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi. I ave a 2003 XC90 and would like to update the satnav disk currently 2006. The part number of the set of disks I use are:-
Vcc 30775819 0622 Europe
DVD part no T1000-10940A/B/C
Pack no T1000-10769.

I just need Disk A for UK and have recently ordered and tried. However the disk gives an error displaying disk cannot be read, after about 30 secs. You can hear the DVD seeking.

The supplier sent me another copy but same problem.

I have explained the year and model of my car, but I read there could be alternative formats. Can anyone advise?

Incidentally I can open the DVD on my laptop and see the files and directories.

Thanks john l
After 14 years it is highly likely the laser is faulty in the DVD Reader in my experience , ...You could get it repaired ..
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:36   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:

The supplier sent me another copy but same problem
Did the supplier send you an original Volvo pressed DVD, or a home made burned DVD copy?

The difference is as follows:
An original pressed (also known as stamped) DVD, as supplied by Volvo, reflects much more light to the laser than a DVD that came from a DVD burner (eg a copied DVD)

A burned DVD reflects much less light

In the case where the laser is strong and new, the difference is not noticed by the user

In the case where the laser is old and weak, the intensity of the laser may fall to a zone where a pressed DVD reflects light that can be received error-free, but a burned DVD reflecting less light goes down into the zone where the light cannot be received error free, and thus read errors result.

Talk to your supplier. Did he supply burned or original Volvo DVDs?
If he is supplying you burned DVDs than beware that he is breaching copyright by copying original DVDs and selling them for commercial profit and (likely) much less than the original purchase price.

This is also known as piracy.

Demand an original Volvo pressed DVD and your problems will disappear.

Until of course the laser weakens further to the point where it can also no longer read the pressed DVD - but this may be years away....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:43   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

You need a disk with RTI data for MMM/P2001, not MMM+ which is for later models. As the drive can read the old disk it is probably OK.

I note all the above comments but you can get one here:

https://satnavstore.com/VOLVO-RTI-MM...av-disc-update
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 14:05   #5
john langrick
Master Member

Hi Greg and many thanks. My DVD (2006) set is in original case and is definitely volvo. The three disks (other two rest of Europe) are the similar pressing.

The updated DVD set is from the satnav site you indicate. They kindly sent me a second copy which also does not work. I used this site as mentioned in an earlier post on the forum. The current status is that I have explained that the second set still does not work and I await a response.

The previous posts do make sense as all my 2006 DVDs read fine, of course the disk A sets the local waypoint correctly.

Both the new one sent and the replacement cannot be read at all and gives a read error. The media is white with a volvo logo, but no part number on media itself.

Unless I have any further suggestions, I see there is a mention on the forum of a company based in Manningtree. This is only an hour drive from me. I plan to take the DVD unit to them so they can perhaps check and fix.

I guess if I have to leave it for repair, I will need a MOST terminator if I still want to use the radio etc.

In fact I have three DVD/CD readers on the car, one for the 6x cd player under radio and one for rse, plus the one for satnav. Although the car is old, all others work without problems but I guess time may be catching up with the satnav and just lucky with the rest.

Thanks agsin to all for the advice

John l

Last edited by john langrick; Nov 19th, 2017 at 14:07.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 18:00   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
The media is white with a volvo logo, but no part number on media itself.
Then you have purchased pirated copies.

Genuine Volvo DVDs have Volvo part numbers, and copyright information any many other infos on the DVD

By purchasing from a private you are actively supporting internet piracy.
The pirate is an unethical illegal trader who will operates outside the law, or in very grey areas.

He makes commercial gain through copying and selling copyrighted software from other companies without their authorisation or agreement

I recommend using genuine parts only, there are many on eBay for good prices, or from your local Volvo dealer
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 00:38   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Then you have purchased pirated copies.

Genuine Volvo DVDs have Volvo part numbers, and copyright information any many other infos on the DVD

By purchasing from a private you are actively supporting internet piracy.
The pirate is an unethical illegal trader who will operates outside the law, or in very grey areas.

He makes commercial gain through copying and selling copyrighted software from other companies without their authorisation or agreement

I recommend using genuine parts only, there are many on eBay for good prices, or from your local Volvo dealer
Swiss - this is your personal opinion (which we respect) - BUT - if someone chooses to go a less expensive route, it surely is not your right to criticise, or lecture on, his choice.

Please provide a current example of an eBay seller offering genuine items for "good prices".

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 09:34   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
Swiss - this is your personal opinion (which we respect) - BUT - if someone chooses to go a less expensive route, it surely is not your right to criticise, or lecture on, his choice.
I am educating the unaware that they may be directly assisting pirates

I am a free man and I am exercising my right to free speech.
No-one has any right to stop me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
Please provide a current example of an eBay seller offering genuine items for "good prices".
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...i+dvd&_sacat=0
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 13:51   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

OK - I didn't realise you meant pre-owned, previous years issues.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 17:47   #10
john langrick
Master Member

Many thanks to all, I am returning the dvd i purchased (2016) and have purhaced the one hinted by Swiss. It is 2015, but hope this now works, will report back.

I do appreciate there may be age related issues with my reader, but here's hoping.

Thanks again

John l