Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat in volvo dealership and need help!

Views : 1508

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 10:30   #1
Pesto2606
Volvo V40 D3 SE LUX

Default Sat in volvo dealership and need help!

Hi everyone

I brought my D30 V40 in for a service this morning and have been advised that my dust valves have seized. They removed the front right hand side valve but I think it damaged something inside the valve which connects to the trip computer tyre pressure system? They’ve said they suspect the other three will be the same and have quoted me £250 per tyre fix the problem. So £1000 in total. Can any one recommend what I do? They’ve also said my two rear tyres need replacing so I’m looking at nearly £2000 bill to pay including tyres and the service which cost £286. Has anyone had problems with seized caps before and is there another way I can get this fixed?
Pesto2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:18   #2
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesto2606 View Post
Hi everyone

I brought my D30 V40 in for a service this morning and have been advised that my dust valves have seized. They removed the front right hand side valve but I think it damaged something inside the valve which connects to the trip computer tyre pressure system? They’ve said they suspect the other three will be the same and have quoted me £250 per tyre fix the problem. So £1000 in total. Can any one recommend what I do? They’ve also said my two rear tyres need replacing so I’m looking at nearly £2000 bill to pay including tyres and the service which cost £286. Has anyone had problems with seized caps before and is there another way I can get this fixed?
When was the last time you checked your tyre pressures? You say dust valves - so I am taking it's the dust caps you are talking about, which on some models are metal.

Surely a soak in penetrating oil or even a little heat should budge them. I presume they are metal.

I would get them to repair front valve, and then get them looked at independently at another time. With respect, I wouldn't be buying tyres from a Dealer anyway - they charge too much for them, as they have bigger overheads to cover etc.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:21   #3
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO View Post
When was the last time you checked your tyre pressures? You say dust valves - so I am taking it's the dust caps you are talking about, which on some models are metal.

Surely a soak in penetrating oil or even a little heat should budge them. I presume they are metal.

I would get them to repair front valve, and then get them looked at independently at another time. With respect, I wouldn't be buying tyres from a Dealer anyway - they charge too much for them, as they have bigger overheads to cover etc.
Oh, and i ask about last time you checked tyre pressures, as if you check them regular they should not be seized - but sometimes tight.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:39   #4
Pesto2606
Volvo V40 D3 SE LUX

Unhappy

Thank you for your response, I think it was quite a while since I checked my tyres (end of July) before my MOT.

I have left the garage this morning without having the work done, I think they fitted a rubber valve to the tyre and they left the original part in the centre console. I believe this is the TMPS valve fitting which connects to the computer tyre pressure warning system.

I've asked my dad to try and source that part to see if its a little more reasonable than £250 (plus fitting)

Next challenge is to get the other three caps off without damage. Thanks for the advice, I went in to panic mode in the garage I thought I was looking at a £1600 bill just to be able to leave.

Lesson to self.... just have rubber / plastic caps in future
Pesto2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 13:05   #5
skippyfox
VOC Member

If you have metal dust caps, a little bit of grease or copperslip on the valve thread will stop the caps seizing on. Learnt the hard way years ago. Got a bit heavy handed and ripped the valve stem out of the wheel. DOH!!
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 13:33   #6
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Thank you for your response, I think it was quite a while since I checked my tyres (end of July) before my MOT.

I have left the garage this morning without having the work done, I think they fitted a rubber valve to the tyre and they left the original part in the centre console. I believe this is the TMPS valve fitting which connects to the computer tyre pressure warning system.

I've asked my dad to try and source that part to see if its a little more reasonable than £250 (plus fitting)

Next challenge is to get the other three caps off without damage. Thanks for the advice, I went in to panic mode in the garage I thought I was looking at a £1600 bill just to be able to leave.

Lesson to self.... just have rubber / plastic caps in future

Well, without trying to sounding harsh, the first lesson should be to check your tyres pressures more often and not leave for nearly 5 months. The lack of use, and probably the increased heat in the wheel due to lower pressures might have contributed to the metal ones sticking on. You are supposed to check every week really, but in practice every 2 weeks would suffice. They won't stick on then either.

Anyway, the TPMS valve might be available from other places, but might need re-pairing back to the car when fitted - dealer job possibly.

Soaking the other caps in WD40/GT85 might help - spray onto the ends of the valves, and they should run down the thread to the cap hopefully. Leave overnight and be careful with overspray on brakes obviously (use the straw for it). If not, a gentle bit of heat and pliers might do it. Worst case, a small Dremmel or Multi-Tool to slice the cap in half (carefully).

A local tyre place might be able to help if not and will also probably give you a better deal on tyres, although they may have to order in the exact ones required, but usually can get same day or with 24hrs.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 14:28   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfox View Post
If you have metal dust caps, a little bit of grease or copperslip on the valve thread will stop the caps seizing on. Learnt the hard way years ago. Got a bit heavy handed and ripped the valve stem out of the wheel. DOH!!
best not to ever use metal caps , no problems with the common plastic ones ..
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 14:39   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi everyone

It is a LOT cheaper to buy a set of 4 TPMS sensors in a kit from volvo if they still do them ,individual ones are available 31414189 , take them home and then sort out your tyres and get them fitted to each wheel , it will mean all the tyres coming off and the valves fitting and tyres fitting back or new tyres .
You will have to take the car back to volvo to have them activated with a hand tool , should not be more than half an hour . how this costs £1000 is unknown .
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 18:55   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

And this thread is a prime example of why people avoid main dealerships like the plague! How does this do anything for the customer it’s just ridiculous. Bunch of arseholes some dealers!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 19:53   #10
ksmi
Master Member

Smile

Quote:
Hi everyone

HI Pesto, why not get a good quality pressure gauge(Michelin do a nice digital one) can get them on ebay and they are acurate,which of course is a must. And not put any more of your hard earned readies in your main stealers pocket? As for the tyres I can't remember which one but either,'My Tyres'' or Tyre Shopper'. are connected to National Tyres,you will see which one on the web site, they send the tyres and you get them fitted at your nearest depot and save yourself "a few bob"! Regards,Keith.

Last edited by ksmi; Nov 28th, 2017 at 19:58.
ksmi is offline   Reply With Quote