Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 85708

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:58   #211
Oilline

Love your TIG welding , im not quite there yet.
Oilline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 21:30   #212
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
Love your TIG welding , im not quite there yet.
Nice to hear from you. How is your estate coming along? Are you still planning on going with dual master cylinders?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:55   #213
dheming

Ended up re-welding the tester piece today. I'm trying to reduce the amount of undercutting happening on the tube. Better but still not quite there yet:

After thinking about it for a while I've decided to go with an aftermarket pedal box instead of using a custom brake arm setup. This is for a number of reasons. Biggest of which is at some point I want to run a T5 tranny so I will have to significantly widen the tunnel. I really don't want to have to modify or remake the custom brake arm when that happens. Not to mention if I ever want to upgrade the steering column which currently comes very close to the brake arm even though it's very small. As for boxes I'm looking at the Tilton 600 series 3 pedal options.

I always knew my clutch and/or brake master cylinders leaked. So today I decided to see how much damage was done underneath:

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 20:22   #214
Oilline

Would that be floor mounted or firewall mounted? Thought the same myself.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 21:32   #215
dheming

The floor mount would be ideal from an ergonomic standpoint, but I don't think there's enough room to mount one. I'm on the tall side so I'd like to have as much leg room as possible. I contemplated modifying the lower firewall with a kick-out to give more room and also allow for a floor mount box, but the frame rail runs right along underneath the outer edge. So you could only really do a kick-out across about 3/4 or 2/3 of the bottom wall. That might work for the setup now, but again when it comes time to widen the trans tunnel there might not be enough room left to fit the pedal box. I will have to do so more measuring to see what we are working with. A floor mount 3 pedal box is the gold standard when it comes to performance driving so it would be pretty awesome to make that happen.

Plan B is to use a firewall mount version. While the ergonomics aren't as ideal, this style would be very easy to mount without having to modify the firewall with kick-outs. Another plus is that when the time comes to widen the tunnel repositioning the pedals is as simple as drilling new mounting holes.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 23:33   #216
dheming

Doing some reading on AP Racing pedal boxes I came across something new to me, the trunnion style balance bar. I had no idea that standard spherical bearing types have significant variation in brake bias depending on the force applied. This thread has some useful info on this topic.

There's not too many stand alone trunnion balance bars out there. Tilton makes the 72-280 and Pro_System makes the PEY.100318. I can't find a price for the AP Racing one, but I shudder thinking about how much they want for it.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 13:12   #217
Bartezz

First visit since my last post with all the links. Read thru the whole thread all over again adn it's still as inspiring as it was the first time. Once you're done with the suspension I might, only might, have the guts and use this thread as a blue print and try this with the help of a mate. I am completely untrained in steel working and you make it look so easy... gonna be a challenge for sure!
Bartezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 04:59   #218
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartezz View Post
First visit since my last post with all the links. Read thru the whole thread all over again adn it's still as inspiring as it was the first time. Once you're done with the suspension I might, only might, have the guts and use this thread as a blue print and try this with the help of a mate. I am completely untrained in steel working and you make it look so easy... gonna be a challenge for sure!
Thank you for the kind words. This is why I'm posting so many pics, part numbers and results of research so that people may use this thread as a reference of sorts. I'm not saying the way I'm doing everything is the best way, but merely one way of doing things. Especially since there is so little aftermarket support for the Amazon in general I feel it's important to clearly describe the things that can be made to work.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 08:03   #219
Oilline

Are you thinking of a reverse mount pedal box to position the master cylinders inside the cabin?
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:53   #220
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
Are you thinking of a reverse mount pedal box to position the master cylinders inside the cabin?
Yeah that makes the most sense from a packaging standpoint. I'm looking at the Tilton 72-606 overhung pedal assembly for around $280USD. Unfortunately the same box in the 900 series that uses the 77 master cylinders and the trunnion balance bar is around $1400USD, not including the master cylinders at $336 each. In total a 900 series would come out to ~$2500USD, which is more than I paid for my entire estate.

That being said I'd really prefer to run a trunnion bar so plan A is to go with a 600 series, but make a simple custom brake arm to run the Pro_System trunnion bar instead of the standard spherical that it comes with. That would be the most cost effective combination IMO.

If I was going to drop the kind of money that the 77 series masters cost I'd much rather spend just a little more for the AP Racing pull-style short travel to cutoff masters instead and make a pedal box from scratch. That combined with a trunnion bar would be the ultimate in efficiency and feedback.

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes