Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Today is the Day

Views : 1702

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 14:14   #1
dave-t

Hi

Today is the day my wife picks up her first ever Volvo. A 54 plate S40 T5 SE Geartronic!

Apart from de-badging it to give the petrol heads a fright - any tips or things I should know which the dealer did not tell me about? I am not a driver myself - due to disability - but like to know as much as possible as I am a terrible back seat driver!

Volvo have also released a iPod adaptor which does not seem to fit the S40. Does anyone know if these are available from 3rd party suppliers which can be controlled by the existing equipment?

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 14:24   #2
simonman

yes yes!!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 14:42   #3
Marmoset

as afr as Ipod integration goes there is no hardwired solution officially available. You can buy a transmitter if you wish but most reports about this are negative and they are illegal in the UK. The only other option is to buy an FM modulator and connect it into the aerial socket. Go to www.swedespeed.com and do a search and some more details about this method will pop up. I don't have an Ipod myself so can't personally comment on the best way forwards.

Enjoy the car, I'd leave the badge on though, most people don't know what to make of these motors when they see them - I've had a V50 for a year now and still get lots of strange looks.

Rich
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 14:53   #4
dave-t

Thanks Rich

Halfords sell a unit for the iPod

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ctorCatalogId= but its not cheap for a 3rd party solution. I am disappointed that Volvo have released something for the S50/80 but not for the S40!

I am really looking forward to being a passenger - the car is very comfortable and a pleasure to be in.

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 15:18   #5
cam

Nice motor mate.Silver is definately the colour,sets the alloys off as well.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 15:21   #6
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

dave

nice, very nice..

as for he ipod, have a search on google for i-trip, this is apples fm transmitter and they dont look to bad.

see here

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorl...ar_charger.htm

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 15:34   #7
dave-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam
Nice motor mate.Silver is definately the colour,sets the alloys off as well.
We have already called her Ruby - for obvious reasons! - the wife insisted that she did NOT wan't silver as she wanted to be "different"

The alloys are the Stagitta's which really look cool and the car has only done 20 miles (12 of which we put on it test driving it)

Can't wait until midnight when the insurance kicks in

Regards

D
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 15:38   #8
dave-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousGeorge
dave
nice, very nice..
as for he ipod, have a search on google for i-trip, this is apples fm transmitter and they dont look to bad.
see here
http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorl...ar_charger.htm
cheers
scott
Thanks Scott - I will have a serious look at this if I can't find a hard wired one.

Anyone know anything about Volvo's Jukebox? - again does not seem to go in the S40

Regards

Dave
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:46   #9
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

dave

what model head unit is in the new S40 ?

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:55   #10
Marmoset

It's not a head unit as such. It's a series of modules around the car (receiver, cd unit, display unit etc) that are all conected via fibre optics using the MOST convention - hence the difficulty in getting an input. MOST is apparently an open convention but the market for produing adaptors for this new technology is so small that, at the moment, the investment into aftermarket stuff isn't justified.

Rich
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote