Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Just cleaned out my EGR mixer pipe - jesus!!

Views : 202597

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 19:08   #191
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadds View Post
as above, on 121k, 2005 163bhp D5 XC90. I took it to bits today to see what lurked inside. I could tell it had been in bits before - regularly, and alas, nothing! A bit of oil lay in the super clean inners and that was it!

I installed an orifice reduction plate as mentioned in this thread to reduce gas recirculation whilst keeping the alarm condition off.

Drives sweet as a nut.

I guess I don't need those latex gloves and EGR3 cleaner I just bought!!!
Lucky man; if you did need the gloves, there's no way less than about a gallon of the cleaner would touch the levels of gack the rest of us see.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 19:49   #192
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

I did my 185 today.

Sludge in the left pipe and in the plenum chamber. Thick greasy gunk. Id earlier used a Wynns EGR cleaner (£10 from Halfords) That was a waste of £10 ! The muck was to thick to be moved.

I recently had to replace the Throttle body (£396 from Volvo, ouch on the day of my holiday towing the caravan !) and there was a slight smear of greasiness on the new flap too.

I think this has to be a yearly thing.

Sticking my fingers up the manifold to the left of the plenum chamber (exhaust ?? Black plastic manifold above the swirl flaps) that was just as greasy and thick. I really need to clean that out to do a proper job all round, and clean out the EGR air cooler etc. It has to be as bad there don't you think ?

Last edited by colinbos; May 2nd, 2016 at 19:53. Reason: error
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:25   #193
Daz Newell

Mine is a 185 and cleaned the black pipe and part of the metal casing to the right of the black pipe out and boy it was full of hard black cr*p...any pics where else needs cleaning as didn't want to go too into it without any guides...lol
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 13:45   #194
big_yin

I had a look on the forum before I purchased a 2004 V70 D5 last weekend and came accros this article.
I cleaned it yesterday and the small hole was completly blocked.

All clean now, didn't use gloves so will take a couple of days before my hands will be completely clean again
big_yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 07:57   #195
The Edge

That black crud is nasty, nasty stuff. Normal protective gloves disintegrate with the solvents, use marigolds.
The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 13:18   #196
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Talking

I'm a firm believer in doing away with the egr destroyer. Had my egr cleaned out yesterday, those pictures could have been mine! And then had it blanked/deleted as well as a remap by a professional remapper who is more concerned with doing a good appropriate job than nonsense statistics. Car is much more responsive, and it's good to know it's now breathing clean air. mpg difficult to assess as only just done.
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 15:07   #197
Goldmember
Master Member

Hi,
I'm new to the Phase 2 V70s and my 1st diesel so this was a bit daunting!
A big thank you again to Dave_s13 for the write uo.
Just did mine this afternoon.
Not so bad as some but still not good ,

especially the small hole was almost clocked up..

1 hour, 2 pairs of gloves, half a can of carb cleaner , 2 rolls of kitchen towel , and a dirty back step later... Job jobbed!

I wouldn't have had the nerve to tackle something like this as I'm scared incase I screw up, but thanks to the guide I did it with , fingers crossed! , no mishaps!

Steve
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 18:26   #198
xco
Premier Member

Exclamation

You really should be wearing gloves to do this guys ....I think you'll find that stuff is highly carcinogenic(someone will be along to correct me or confirm what I've said in a minute I daresay)
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 15:45   #199
MikeBJ

From my Audi days, I note similar EGR issues with the 2.0 diesels - my V70 is my first diesel car and I'm wondering if the 2.0 / 5 cly / 163 engine is similarly affected? It's a 2011 car. I'm not seeing any problems with performance, or any of the other typical EGR related problems. Fuel consumption (mixed driving, some short, some long, fast runs) is only 35 brim to brim (38 on the DIS) but then again, it's an auto.

I suspect all diesels have this problem to a greater or lesser extent. Part of my query is related to knowing that (a) the previous owner was the archetypical "older driver" and (b) the annual mileage was very low.

I suppose I could just pull the EGR and look - -

Oh - and while the black deposits / oily mess / carbon crud is indeed carcinogenic, so is old engine oil - but back in the days before I discovered latex cloves, I'd happily do an oil change with bare hands. I also used to change brake shoes, again no protection. These days though, I use gloves. If nothing else, it makes clean up so much easier.

Last edited by MikeBJ; Dec 13th, 2016 at 15:50.
MikeBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 22:07   #200
richard

Have a look mate, its well worth cleaning out even if you only get the thick of it off.
richard is offline   Reply With Quote