Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 123528

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 08:02   #241
simonwedge

I don't know about VIDA but if you're not getting the 'Soot Filter Full' message then the regen process must be working OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to simonwedge For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 18:19   #242
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Dec 2006, I bought a brand new S60 D5, my first ever Volvo and indeed my first Diesel.

Since then the Soot filter has been giving me problems. About 4-5 weeks after purchase I got "soot filter full- see manual", followed a few hrs later with "Engine System, service required" (or something like that) with the Engine going to about 1/2 power or less. Was told this was due to my driving style and that the soot filter need re-generating.

So religiously after that, as soon as I see the SOOT filter message I go for a 20-30 min run, and the message goes away.

Yesterday "soot filter full" came on the display, this is only around 3 weeks after the last full service. It wasn't suitable to go for a run, so went to do it today, but too late I'm back on 1/2 power with the "Engine system" message back on. Tried a 60 miles run, no good. 0-60 is around 25 seconds.

Phoned dealer, and have to book in for regeneration.

I have a couple of questions:-

1) I only do short runs, 6500Miles per year, I told the dealer this at time of purchase, and he could see that from my 3year old 20,000 trade-in. Shouldn't the dealer tell me Volvo diesel engine isn't suitable for me.

2) Having spoke to the service dept today, they have confirmed this is a "thing" with Volvo diesels. Are they really telling me that no modern Volvo deisel car is capable of constant short runs without having to keep going back to the dealer ? Or put another way their diesels exclude certain driving styles. Its not that I'm a slow driver, I love the power and torque of the Engine, its just that I only do a big run every 2-3 months

3) Is there no way I can re-generate this myself, once its went to the "engine system stage". My dealer is 70 miles away, its basically a full day off work.

Its went from being a mild annoyance to seriously considering taking a big hit on the price and getting something else.
i think your kind of car usage is more suited to a petrol vehicle its not just volvo that have this kind of fault because of low usage most of the other big manufacturers also have this problem its very common as the car never reaches the operating temp and distance traveled required for a dpf regen.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 18:51   #243
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Morally speaking the dealer should have told him.

Being realistic they're in business to shift units, and so long as they don't outright lie that's what they'll do.

Its up to buyers to do their due diligence before handing over the cash on the second most expensive asset of us will buy, but it's surprising (although maybe it shouldn't be) how few people bother. A diesel of any make or model certainly isn't an appropriate choice for the use to which Tangey puts it.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 19:25   #244
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

also OP was 15 years ago lol

I'm sure one way or another they'll have sorted out their requirements by now

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 19:45   #245
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Doubtless they bought a diesel,of another make and they're on the relevant forum to co plain about that one,
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 19:46   #246
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

haha yeah maybe

I dunno diesel prices and tax went a bit silly in the mean time they're not as much of an obvious advantage as they used to be are they

well not round my way anyway with all this ULEZ and so on. think the fuel prices are supposed to be back down a bit now though? I've never had one myself I always go petrol

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 19:59   #247
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

diesel all the way for me 65 mpg on on run if i want to go fast ill get the motor cycle out. it dose not matter how old the op was. there is always new members who require this kind of info
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 13:11   #248
rangerovering

Hi Gang,

I have a 2006 S60 D5 185 which has started getting iffy with the dpf over the last year or so. 177k miles, it gets a good amount of motorway running for 30+mins generally, but now the soot filter full message is coming on nearly every trip.

Would a glow plug relay fault prevent effective regeneration? Thats the only consistant code I have on the car and I wasn't aware that it was overly critical.

Has anyone removed and washed the dpf with success? Happy to try this before condemming it with a big hammer!
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 13:35   #249
john493
Spannering since birth

Best get a proper scan with VIDA & report back.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 15:14   #250
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerovering View Post
Hi Gang,

I have a 2006 S60 D5 185 which has started getting iffy with the dpf over the last year or so. 177k miles, it gets a good amount of motorway running for 30+mins generally, but now the soot filter full message is coming on nearly every trip.

Would a glow plug relay fault prevent effective regeneration? Thats the only consistant code I have on the car and I wasn't aware that it was overly critical.

Has anyone removed and washed the dpf with success? Happy to try this before condemming it with a big hammer!
Glow plugs could have an effect on the DPF regeneration.

As for removing and cleaning the DPF, there's not really a need to do that. It can be done, but its a messy.

A good blast down the motorway will clear it out, but you need to get the glow plug issue sorted first.

You could also do what's known as a "forced regen". The car needs to be hooked up to diagnostics to do that and the diagnostic tool basically tells the ECU to rev the car high for about 10-15 minutes, which raises the temperature in the exhaust/DPF and the soot flies out the back. However, the fuel can get diluted with the oil when doing that, so its best to change the oil after you've done a forced regen (just in case there's fuel dilution).