Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prime fuel pump?

Views : 2915

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 15:38   #1
F55MCS

Default Prime fuel pump?

Hi. I have just changed the fuel filter on my 2004 V70 D5 (paper type), and now it won’t start. It ran for a bit then died so I’m assuming the pump needs priming. How do I do this? I’ve cycled the ignition on and off 10-15 times and then left it in position 2 for 1.5 minutes and it still won’t start. There’s about 1/4 of a tank of diesel left. Is it just a case of keep priming it or have I messed it up somehow?

ETA: there is nothing leaking from the filter housing while the ignition is on so I suspect the seal is ok.
F55MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 15:57   #2
MarvinMitt

Every time I change fuel filter I also test the intank pump.
Tray under, filter off and ignition on. If fuel comes then pump is ok.
10-15 times ignition on for 20 seconds would be enough to prime the fuel lines.
Try a little more but if this doesn't help I would remove the filter again and check if fuel is pumped to the filter when ignition is on.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 16:14   #3
F55MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinMitt View Post
Every time I change fuel filter I also test the intank pump.
Tray under, filter off and ignition on. If fuel comes then pump is ok.
10-15 times ignition on for 20 seconds would be enough to prime the fuel lines.
Try a little more but if this doesn't help I would remove the filter again and check if fuel is pumped to the filter when ignition is on.
I just took the filter off again to check my work and the housing had diesel in it, so would suggest that the pump is fine. Do you think maybe I should put some more diesel in the tank and try again or just keep priming it?

Sorry for the slightly desperate nature of these posts but only half of my car fits under my parents car port and every time I sit in the drivers seat I am getting soaked! Very frustrating
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 17:24   #4
MarvinMitt

Check if the pump has constant fuel flow.
On Euro 3 (D5244T) engine the HP pump can suck fuel from the tank itself but takes a very long time to prime the fuel line.
If the fuel level is under 20 liters, it needs intank pump to get to the other side of the saddle tank.
If your's is at 1/4 of tank it's exactly where the not working intank pump starts to cause problems plus it needs the pump to prime the fuel line without cranking the engine.

Just check if it has fuel flow and then there are next steps to troubleshoot your problem.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 17:26   #5
F55MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinMitt View Post
Check if the pump has constant fuel flow.
On Euro 3 (D5244T) engine the HP pump can suck fuel from the tank itself but takes a very long time to prime the fuel line.
If the fuel level is under 20 liters, it needs intank pump to get to the other side of the saddle tank.
If your's is at 1/4 of tank it's exactly where the not working intank pump starts to cause problems.

Just check if it has fuel flow and then there are next steps to troubleshoot your problem.
Forgive my ignorance but what is the best way to check whether there is fuel flow?

Your help is also very much appreciated!
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 19:30   #6
F55MCS

Well, I bled the injectors and it appears to live which is a good result. Could it perhaps be the low pressure pump not priming the system as it should? I don’t plan on running out of fuel but it’s something to keep an eye on, certainly before the next time I change the filter.

I very much appreciate the help folks and I am now much drier and warmer...
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 19:56   #7
Longhouse21
Master Member

It does sound like the in-tank pump is failing but it could be an issue with the cross-over pipework from one side of the saddle tank to the other. It appears to be a reasonably common issue - I've had to replace mine due to a leak through a crack developing on the return line connection.
Short term, keep the tank filled above 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank, or park on a slope (nose down or favouring the off side seems to be the preferred orientation).
If you replace the pump, the tank needs to be below the two access points - the lowest is near side, both access points located under the rear seat. Plenty of information on the forum on replacing the pump.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 20:06   #8
F55MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
It does sound like the in-tank pump is failing but it could be an issue with the cross-over pipework from one side of the saddle tank to the other. It appears to be a reasonably common issue - I've had to replace mine due to a leak through a crack developing on the return line connection.
Short term, keep the tank filled above 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank, or park on a slope (nose down or favouring the off side seems to be the preferred orientation).
If you replace the pump, the tank needs to be below the two access points - the lowest is near side, both access points located under the rear seat. Plenty of information on the forum on replacing the pump.
Yeah I read most of the topics on it while I was flapping around!

I tend to fill up around 1/4 anyway as I have a long commute and if I set off on 1/4 it would be very very low by the time I got back and I hate going to fuel stations later then 6am...

Definitely something to keep an eye on though and I will probably diagnose it properly in the next few months.

Thanks again for your help, this forum really is quite good!
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 16:14   #9
MarvinMitt

Keeping the tank above 1/4 will help keeping the intank pump on standby while driving.
If it's below that it runs constantly, heats and wears out faster.