Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252 Volvo V70 with no power before boost and overall slow

Views : 3584

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 20:34   #11
aleksanderk

Ok, I have now been out on a test drive and logged some info in VIDA.

MAF reading before starting engine. I assume that the values are way different because the engine isn't running.

This is the reading from the MAF after startup and idling

Driving up a moderate uphill on 3rd gear.

Cruising with cruise control in 80km/h. You see a dip in the MAF desired value and the actual value doesn't follow along. This is because the EGR is blanked off to eliminate that as a cause for the problem.

Cruising with cruise control in 80km/h, and a little uphill.

Cruising with cruise control in 80km/h, and a long uphill.

Flooring it in 4th gear from 60km/h and changing gear to 5th going uphill in a tunnel.

Corrected fuel quantity on idle. The values are almost identical when driving.

Btw; I have tried blocking off the line to the engine mounts, but noticed no difference. Unless it's an internal leak in the valve that controls the mounts.

Also; The accelerator pedal is showing 8% when not touched and the max it reads are about 50%. Is this something to be worried about? My brother had a V70 with the same engine and his measured to 80%. And a friend of mine had a D5 wich i believe has the same pedal, and that measured 6% all the time regardless of how much the pedal was depressed.

Last edited by aleksanderk; Sep 11th, 2019 at 20:37.
aleksanderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 05:31   #12
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
that would be noisy and blow oil mist everywhere :-)
When my intercooler failed on my 04 v70 there was no noise just loss of power and black smoke when pulling away from stationary like at say roundabouts.
The actual failure was only confirmed by my indie tech after a smoke test.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Sep 12th, 2019 at 05:40.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 13:09   #13
aleksanderk

Could this be as simple as a dirty MAF? It looks like the readings are too low compared to the desired value.

I don't have a MAF cleaner, but i have cleaning ethanol that I use at work to clean fibre optic cables. I think it can compare to rubbing alcohol.
It contains:
Ethanol (90-100%)
Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) (1-5%)
Butanone (0,1-1%)

Ingredients of CRC MAF cleaner:
methylpentane
naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreatedlight
2,2,4-trimethylpentane5
carbon dioxide
n-hexane
n-pentane
2,2-dimethylbutane
2,3-dimethylbutane
3-methylpentane
methanol

What do you guys think?
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 15:45   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksanderk View Post
Could this be as simple as a dirty MAF? It looks like the readings are too low compared to the desired value.

I don't have a MAF cleaner, but i have cleaning ethanol that I use at work to clean fibre optic cables. I think it can compare to rubbing alcohol.
It contains:
Ethanol (90-100%)
Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) (1-5%)
Butanone (0,1-1%)

Ingredients of CRC MAF cleaner:
methylpentane
naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreatedlight
2,2,4-trimethylpentane5
carbon dioxide
n-hexane
n-pentane
2,2-dimethylbutane
2,3-dimethylbutane
3-methylpentane
methanol

What do you guys think?
well it is pretty clear there , the air mass output signal doesn't vary at all . As i said earlier a new Air mass meter is needed , this will transform the engine , I changed quite a few on high mileage V70/S70 VW diesels back in their day .
Don't ever " "clean" an Air mass meter , they are self cleaning every time you turn the ignition off , also how would they get dirty in the first place with a substantial Air filter feeding them fresh air ?
I have seen 2 good £300 air mass meters destroyed in front of my own eyes by foolish mechanics , that's how i learned about the dangers of "cleaning" 30 years ago !
Your air mass meter has failed though so it wont make any difference in your case .
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 19:55   #15
aleksanderk

Quote:
well it is pretty clear there , the air mass output signal doesn't vary at all . As i said earlier a new Air mass meter is needed , this will transform the engine , I changed quite a few on high mileage V70/S70 VW diesels back in their day .
Don't ever " "clean" an Air mass meter , they are self cleaning every time you turn the ignition off , also how would they get dirty in the first place with a substantial Air filter feeding them fresh air ?
I have seen 2 good £300 air mass meters destroyed in front of my own eyes by foolish mechanics , that's how i learned about the dangers of "cleaning" 30 years ago !
Your air mass meter has failed though so it wont make any difference in your case .
If you look at the second last picture I posted you will se that the MAF and boost is going up and down together. There is only a little movement on the MAF, but could that be because of low boost?

I have read a bit about cleaning MAF sensors and how it should be avoided. If it's broken I've got nothing to loose, but I want to be sure before I risk anything.

What is a "normal" MAF g/s on idle for a 2,5L engine? I found a forum online where one guy said he took 1.8 and multiplied by the engine displacement. And that would give you a rough estimate on where it should be. That gives 4,5g/s and I'm at 4,91.

I might try to clean the sensor, and if the improved effect only last for an hour then I will definitely know that it's the MAF. I don't want to spend £150 on a new MAF if I don't need it. Local dealers want £310 for it but I can get it online for about £150.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 20:36   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
If you look at the second last picture I posted you will se that the MAF and boost is going up and down together. There is only a little movement on the MAF, but could that be because of low boost?

I have read a bit about cleaning MAF sensors and how it should be avoided. If it's broken I've got nothing to loose, but I want to be sure before I risk anything.

What is a "normal" MAF g/s on idle for a 2,5L engine? I found a forum online where one guy said he took 1.8 and multiplied by the engine displacement. And that would give you a rough estimate on where it should be. That gives 4,5g/s and I'm at 4,91.

I might try to clean the sensor, and if the improved effect only last for an hour then I will definitely know that it's the MAF. I don't want to spend £150 on a new MAF if I don't need it. Local dealers want £310 for it but I can get it online for about £150.
It should be 1.8 volts from the output terminal on the MAS at idle .
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 21:42   #17
aleksanderk

Quote:
It should be 1.8 volts from the output terminal on the MAS at idle .
I will have to measure it one day then. VIDA just gives me g/s vaues.

I cleaned the MAF today. It wasn't extremely dirty.
The low end power did not improve but i felt that it was a bit more powerfull on boost now. But that could be placebo also.

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 22:02   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I will have to measure it one day then. VIDA just gives me g/s vaues.

I cleaned the MAF today. It wasn't extremely dirty.
The low end power did not improve but i felt that it was a bit more powerfull on boost now. But that could be placebo also.

The glass device is just the inlet air temperature sensor ...
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 22:05   #19
aleksanderk

I tried to clean inside the sensor at picture #3. Hard to get to, so I might get a spray to se if I can clean it better.
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 22:06   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I tried to clean inside the sensor at picture #3. Hard to get to, so I might get a spray to se if I can clean it better.
Air mass meters clean themselves everytime you turn the Ignition off , you need a new one ...