Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

07 V70 D5 estate harshness.

Views : 1020

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2011, 23:34   #1
turbo d
paneuro

Default 07 V70 D5 estate harshness.

This problem is difficult to explain but I will do my best. If I put the car in first gear and keep my foot on the footbrake, then ease the clutch until it begins to bite, I get a harshness as if part of the transmission or exhaust was touching the chassis. I get the same effect if I put the car in a higher gear than it should be, in other words put it under labour. The only thing I can find is the top engine mounting feels as if it is quite loose. I can flex it with my hand but I have no idea how firm this mounting should be. Has anybody got any other ideas as I makes the car quite unpleasant to drive particularly at low speeds like in traffic. TIA Turbo D.
turbo d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 01:52   #2
Dynosaur
GoldMember

The front and rear engine mounts are pneumatic : check the little hoses are connected/intact.
There's a lot of slack in the top engine mount - and unless the rubber's significantly shagged, it should be OK.
It's connected to the strut brace which is isolated with rubber dampers - but these last a long time.
You really need observe with the bonnet up.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:11   #3
turbo d
paneuro

Hi, I have removed the top engine mounting and crossbar and it appears to be a square type. the centre can be moved about by hand, it does not appear to be bonded to the large aluminium casting. Can anybody say if this is normal? I would have thought the mounting would be bonded on both inner and outer parts and the rubber would act as the flex part, or am I wrong and this is a new modern type? Turbo d
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:27   #4
Dynosaur
GoldMember

That's the later type and the rubber's unbonded and free within the casting.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 15:53   #5
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo d View Post
Hi, I have removed the top engine mounting and crossbar and it appears to be a square type. the centre can be moved about by hand, it does not appear to be bonded to the large aluminium casting. Can anybody say if this is normal? I would have thought the mounting would be bonded on both inner and outer parts and the rubber would act as the flex part, or am I wrong and this is a new modern type? Turbo d
I think it would be unwise to drive the vehicle without all of the top mounting components in place. It is supposed to be a loose restraint so that small high frequency vibrations of the engine are not transmitted to the passenger compartment, but it will restrain the engine from large excursions which would damage the main mounts, the transmission, and the inner CV joints. From its design it appears to me that the top mount would prevent the engine from making large vertical excursions in response to bumps in the road, and to a lesser extent prevent large torsional movements.

Any excess vibration you are getting is not caused by the mount being too loose. Just the opposite is the case. It is a common complaint that unwanted vibrations in the passenger compartment are increased by putting stiff and tight aftermarket polyurethane bushings in the upper mount.

Last edited by Jim314; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 15:56.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 18:36   #6
turbo d
paneuro

I don't intend driving it without the top mount but I need to find what is vibrating as its driving me up the wall. I have also got an oil leak high up on the rear of the engine. This was brought to my attention by the Volvo dealer who serviced the car last week. I have the car on ramps at the moment with the underpan removed and although the rear of the engine is covered in oil the only leak I can find is from the sump plug. I have wiped as much of the oil as I can get at and let the car idle for about 30 minutes with no obvious ill effects other than the sump plug. regards Turbo d. P.S. There seems to be a large weight on the crossmember behind the sump which is rubber mounted and can be made to hit against the crossmember if you give it a good dunt with the heel of your hand!!! Could this be the phantom vibe?
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 14:16   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Sounds like the rear engine mounting has failed due to being covered in oil.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 15:21   #8
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Sounds like the rear engine mounting has failed due to being covered in oil.
Someone also mentioned that he was getting crankcase pressurisation when his rear mount failed.
And crankcase pressure will blow past the weakest gasket or seal (often starting with the oil filler and rocker gasket) - resulting in oil leakage.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 14:30   #9
turbo d
paneuro

Hi again, so many people ask for help and never post when the answer to the problem is found. I have just cured the problem of the harshness on my car so I thought I would share it with everyone. I was underneath when I noticed a large rubber mounted weight in the crossmember channel that runs accross just where the exhaust/cat is mounted. When I knocked it with the heel of my hand it would make a slight rattling noise, I decided to remove it and have a look (2 large torx) when I got it off I found that one of the exhaust mounting bracket bolts had bored a hole about 2mm deep in the side of the weight. This can't be seen from the underside. I then removed the offending bolt and cut 5mm of the end and refitted it. I refitted the weight and took the car out on the road. "EUREKA" a completely different car. I feel the weight may have been slightly loose and there is some leeway in the holes on the bolts that hold the weight on, I may have been able to move the weight away from the offending bolt but anyway I just made sure it would not happen again. Hope this helps someone else. Turbo D
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turbo d For This Useful Post: