Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake Woes!

Views : 261866

Replies : 167

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2015, 13:39   #121
Hedgepig

Smile Great article.....

Hi, Nick44
That's exactly the article I was looking for. Thought I'd have a look at the rear shoes ('04 V70 134k) as the passenger side wheel occasionally emits a scraping / squealing sound for a few seconds and then goes quiet. I'm wondering if there's a tad of rust that gets between the shoe and the drum and then clears itself? Anyway, looking at my 'trusty' Haynes manual, it says I need new bolts for the calliper bracket..... new bolts on an Easter Sunday? Somehow, I don't think my local Volvo dealer (Kastner) is going to be open! In your opinion, are new bolts really necessary; it's not like they're shear bolts? Also wondered if your 'how to' photographs are still available? I can't seem to find them within the post. Questions questions!
Thanks for your time reading this and I hope you may be able to help.
Best regards
Hedgepig
Hedgepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 15:10   #122
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I've always replaced the 'old' bolts..... I do use loctite though.....
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 15:17   #123
Hedgepig

Default Looking for the 'how to' pics if still available

Hi, Nick44
That's exactly the article I was looking for. Thought I'd have a look at the rear shoes ('04 V70 134k) as the passenger side wheel occasionally emits a scraping / squealing sound for a few seconds and then goes quiet. I'm wondering if there's a tad of rust that gets between the shoe and the drum and then clears itself? Anyway, looking at my 'trusty' Haynes manual, it says I need new bolts for the calliper bracket..... new bolts on an Easter Sunday? Somehow, I don't think my local Volvo dealer (Kastner) is going to be open! In your opinion, are new bolts really necessary; it's not like they're shear bolts? Also wondered if your 'how to' photographs are still available? I can't seem to find them within the post. Questions questions!
Thanks for your time reading this and I hope you may be able to help.

Last edited by Hedgepig; Apr 6th, 2015 at 15:19. Reason: Already posted - hit the wrong button! Arghhh!!
Hedgepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 22:08   #124
Brian N

I've had my fair share of handbrake problems with my 2006 V70 2.4d, I had the car for about 7 months before it was due an MOT. Up until then the handbrake seemed to work OK but not great, it held the car but with a fair amount of roll-back (or roll-forward!)

It failed the MOT on handbrake, one side was completely ineffective!
I stripped it down & found the cause, the stop part of the hub had snapped off, the broken part was not in the brake disk drum so had obviously happened during a previous ownership & the broken off part removed & just left!

A friend of mine was able to make a new stop block & drill, tap & bolt it to the hub, this allowed the handbrake to work well enough to pass the MOT after fitting new handbrake shoes & springs, although the roll-back still was there.

My thoughts on the matter is why did Volvo put the stop part of the hub on the same side as the handbrake shoe expander, when the handbrake is applied it pushes the shoes apart off the stop block & contacts the brake disk drum and stops it rotating but nothing is stopping the handbrake shoes rotating slightly until the edge of the shoe contacts the stop block again, hence the roll- back?

Would having the stop block on the side of the hub where the fixed spacer bar holding the shoes apart prevent this movement after the handbrake is applied or am I missing something? (very likely!)

Regards Brian
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 15:14   #125
timdaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
My 850 has Bendix discs and handbrake shoes, following this 'famous' failure. Pads I fitted were Bosch, they were supplied with the anti-squeal shims.

More recently my V70 has suffered the same . You'd think I'd learn! On this one the stop has snapped off.

I have stripped that side out, so rolling but no handbrake (tis auto so have park, but 240 and 850 are in use instead).

The hub spins fine, no noises. I have Mintex shoes and a fitting kit (springs) ready to go. For the stop I am going to fit a 'stop repair kit' , which I also have. Not had the weather to have a real good root about. May have to get a handbrake cable & a backplate, not sure yet..... About £120 in so far in parts, recovery to home was 200 euros tho'. Poss another £100 for cables and plate.

If the cable is busted, should they be replaced in pairs?
Could you please expand a bit on the 'stop repair kit' please? I have the same problem - big bang and lock up broke stop off and destroyed back plate too. Many thanks.
timdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 20:18   #126
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

This for the 'stop repair'

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=7441

And go to this thread from post #15 for my handbrake saga

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hmobile&page=2

Hope this helps you
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 20:33   #127
timdaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
This for the 'stop repair'

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=7441

And go to this thread from post #15 for my handbrake saga

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hmobile&page=2

Hope this helps you
Very helpful, thank you. Your problem was the same as mine, and as it seems from this thread, very many others. I've ordered one as I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work effectively.
timdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timdaw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 21:03   #128
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Mine certainly works. In my case the 'stop' snapped off cleanly and the repair kit went straight on.
If yours isn't a clean break, you may need to grind the 'stub' of the old 'stop' down flush
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 22:50   #129
RojHud

Default Handbrake adjustment now possible ...

Just posted this elsewhere …. may help someone struggling to get a good handbrake feel.
--------------------------
As we all know … the handbrake is always a bit sloppy on this model, at the S60 as well, but there is a solution ……….
At your local volvo dealer, ask them to get the rear brake parts up on the screen …

This is marked as part "15" on the screen they have at the parts counter….

It can be replaced with a proper adjuster, parts "17" and "18".
The volvo part numbers are 30793438 and 30793437 - it is adjusted through the stud hole when you have the wheels off.

My handbrake now locks on with three clicks, no rock back or sloppiness, an MOT pass every time.
Sorry that I have no pics - but the total parts cost was 26.20 ….

Hope this helps if any of you have sloppy unadjustable handbrakes

Roj

850 GLE saloon 1985 - 2.4 Auto LH Drive (somebody give me 400 quid for it)
S40 1.6 manual - 50K mile 2001 MY
S60D5 - 269400 mls and going strong … New cam belt on saturday …

Soory - just noted that our master member Coventry has already posted pics of this mod in April - Sorry I missed the post - all credit to Coventry.

Last edited by RojHud; Jun 4th, 2015 at 22:57. Reason: Addition of thanks
RojHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 20:36   #130
Jonny5isalive

Smile

After reading many horror stories concerning the handbrake on the S60/V70, particularly the shoes and linings delaminating, took the motor to ATS. They did a full brake strip, clean, adjust and reassemble for £32! The fitter was on with the car for nearly 4 hours so very thorough. He showed me the handbrake shoes and linings and all A-ok! What a relief. They priced up 2 rear discs for me at £67 each supplied and fitted, plus I'll get the brake inspection charge refunded! Bonus indeed. So I recommend ATS (just allow a few hours if you get a brake check done).
Jonny5isalive is offline   Reply With Quote