Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help making a comprehensive S/V40 buying guide

Views : 3884

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 13:24   #1
gatos
Premier Member

Default Help making a comprehensive S/V40 buying guide

Quite a few new people are asking for an S/V40 buying guide

I was thinking of something along the lines of 4 or maybe 5 Categories

This is what I have put together until now and I am sure I have some errors and missed a few things. So please comment and I will update the draft.
-
-
-
DRAFT

1. General buying tips
  • Comprehensive service history either main dealer or recognized independent with as many receipts as possible
  • Timing belt should be done at around 80,000 miles intervals. Check when the timing belt was replaced and ideally ask for receipt as proof
  • Don't view the car in the rain or in the evening as you might miss scratches, dents and other problems.
  • Listen to the engine for any rattles or squeaks
  • When test driving listen for knocking on rough road surface/bumps (suspension top mount bush or drop links failing)
  • Listen for clicking on full lock left and right (CV joint wear)
  • Make sure the gearbox changes are nice and smooth
  • Apply and release the handbrake and make sure the car rolls easy, to check the rear calliper hand brake mechanism is not seized
  • Make sure all electrics/heater/headlight controls are working correctly and that AC (if fitted) is blowing nice and cold.
  • Hazard light switch and heater controls panel are prone to fail
  • Lock and unlock the car with the fob to check the alarm arms correctly. Also, unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the doors. The car should lock itself after a few minutes.
  • Check the spare wheel are for any signs of water ingress
  • Look for wear on driver’s seat and interior trim as an indication of how the car has been looked after internally

2. Engine bay area
  • Check for any obvious signs of oil or other fluid leaks in the engine bay and on the ground
  • Check for any signs of emulsification (white thick creamy substance) under oil filler cap and / or oil in the radiator header tank (coolant in engine, indicating failing head gasket
  • Check the engine mounts - bonnet up, into gear with handbrake on and let clutch part out quite quickly. If it knocks, will need doing
  • Check lower radiator hose jubillee clip as it's prone to rusting and can break causing major engine damage. Stainless steel replacement one is cheap and easy to do

3. Exterior
  • Look for smoky/blowing exhaust on start up and idling
  • Check brake discs to see how worn they are and if there is excessive rust. Also check the left and right pads to see if wear is even side to side.
  • Check for rust the edges of both front wings near the wheel arches and specially close to the sideskirt
  • Check for rust the edges of both rear wheel arches and specially close to the sideskirt

4. More detailed things to check
  • Check the metal brake pipes running from the engine bay and all the way under the car for signs of corrosion
  • Check the wiring harness directly beneath the radiator for water ingress and subsequent corrosion of the wiring leading to electrical faults

5. Car spesific things to check

Phase 1 (1996-2000) Petrol 1.8 2.0, 2.0T, T4

Phase 1 (1996-2000) Diesel 1.9TD

Phase 2 (2000-2004) Petrol 1.6, 1.8 2.0, 2.0T, T4
Phase 2 (2000-2004) Petrol 1.8i GDI

Phase 2 (2000-2004) Diesel 1.9D

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Aug 15th, 2012 at 16:11.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 13:33   #2
stephend
Premier Member

Looking good!

Might be worth mentioning to check the alarm arms correctly: the bonnet switch problem. Also might be worth flagging up that if you unlock the car but don't then open the doors, it re-locks itself after a few minutes.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 13:42   #3
Technician

On the brake section you could add - visual inspection of left and right pads to see if wear is even side to side.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technician For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 13:44   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Good points. Add them to the 1. General buying tips section?
How does this sound:
Quote:
Lock and unlock the car with the fob to check the alarm arms correctly. Also, unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the doors. The car should lock itself after a few minutes.
Does this sound ok?

Quote:
[*]Also check the left and right pads to see if wear is even side to side.

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Aug 15th, 2012 at 13:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 15:57   #5
Robmac999
Robmac999

Thumbs up Vvt

Wow, that's a comprehensive guide if ever I saw one. Nice work.

Not sure how relevant this is but I seem to recall reading (probably on here) that VVT was only fitted after a certain date, so x40's prior to this would not be afflicted.
If this is correct is it then worth while including the info?
Too late for me, I've already had to lash out on both VVT and timing belt!

Current: Volvo V40 1.8 S 2002 (51)

Previous: Volvo S40 1.6 XS 2000 (W)
Robmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robmac999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 16:09   #6
gatos
Premier Member

My bad. I had that in mind and that is why i made a list of different cars at the bottom. ie Phase 2 (2000-2004) Petrol 1.6, 1.8 2.0, 2.0T, T4

Post edited

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 16:32   #7
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Good points. Add them to the 1. General buying tips section?
How does this sound:

Does this sound ok?
Can I suggest a slight addition?

"Lock and unlock the car with the fob to check the alarm arms correctly (direction indicators should flash once). Also, unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the doors. The car should lock itself after a few minutes."

2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 16:49   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Please do so. The more feedback, the better.

EDITED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Quite a few new people are asking for an S/V40 buying guide

I was thinking of something along the lines of 4 or maybe 5 Categories

This is what I have put together until now and I am sure I have some errors and missed a few things. So please comment and I will update the draft.
-
-
-
DRAFT

1. General buying tips
  • Comprehensive service history either main dealer or recognized independent with as many receipts as possible
  • Timing belt should be done at around 80,000 miles intervals. Check when the timing belt was replaced and ideally ask for receipt as proof
  • Don't view the car in the rain or in the evening as you might miss scratches, dents and other problems.
  • Listen to the engine for any rattles or squeaks
  • When test driving listen for knocking on rough road surface/bumps (suspension top mount bush or drop links failing)
  • Listen for clicking on full lock left and right (CV joint wear)
  • Make sure the gearbox changes are nice and smooth
  • Apply and release the handbrake and make sure the car rolls easy, to check the rear calliper hand brake mechanism is not seized
  • Make sure all electrics/heater/headlight controls are working correctly and that AC (if fitted) is blowing nice and cold.
  • Hazard light switch and heater controls panel are prone to fail
  • Lock and unlock the car with the fob to check the alarm arms correctly (direction indicators should flash once). Also, unlock the car with the fob, but don't open the doors. The car should lock itself after a few minutes.
  • Check the spare wheel are for any signs of water ingress
  • Look for wear on driver’s seat and interior trim as an indication of how the car has been looked after internally

2. Engine bay area
  • Check for any obvious signs of oil or other fluid leaks in the engine bay and on the ground
  • Check for any signs of emulsification (white thick creamy substance) under oil filler cap and / or oil in the radiator header tank (coolant in engine, indicating failing head gasket
  • Check the engine mounts - bonnet up, into gear with handbrake on and let clutch part out quite quickly. If it knocks, will need doing
  • Check lower radiator hose jubillee clip as it's prone to rusting and can break causing major engine damage. Stainless steel replacement one is cheap and easy to do

3. Exterior
  • Look for smoky/blowing exhaust on start up and idling
  • Check brake discs to see how worn they are and if there is excessive rust. Also check the left and right pads to see if wear is even side to side.
  • Check for rust the edges of both front wings near the wheel arches and specially close to the sideskirt
  • Check for rust the edges of both rear wheel arches and specially close to the sideskirt

4. More detailed things to check
  • Check the metal brake pipes running from the engine bay and all the way under the car for signs of corrosion
  • Check the wiring harness directly beneath the radiator for water ingress and subsequent corrosion of the wiring leading to electrical faults

5. Car spesific things to check

Phase 1 (1996-2000) Petrol 1.8 2.0, 2.0T, T4

Phase 1 (1996-2000) Diesel 1.9TD

Phase 2 (2000-2004) Petrol 1.6, 1.8 2.0, 2.0T, T4
Phase 2 (2000-2004) Petrol 1.8i GDI

Phase 2 (2000-2004) Diesel 1.9D

Nullius in Verba
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 18:11   #9
Robmac999
Robmac999

Sorry Gatos, just occurred to me. As well as checking oil filler cap and header tank, check the dipstick for emulsified oil as this might indicate blocked pcv.
Only other thing (being really picky) is specific!
Really sorry about that after all the hard work you've put into it.

Current: Volvo V40 1.8 S 2002 (51)

Previous: Volvo S40 1.6 XS 2000 (W)
Robmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robmac999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 18:32   #10
gatos
Premier Member

No need to apologise this is a draft and when it's finished, I will the post a new thread

Nullius in Verba