Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission problems (I think) Help!

Views : 780

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 19:44   #1
dominic wolf

Unhappy Transmission problems (I think) Help!

Hello all,
I'm new here and I'm posting this in the hope somebody will be able to advise me on what to do.

I bought a used Volvo V40 Vreg petrol manual transmission about 3 months ago.
It has been mostly well behaved although it had clearly not been well maintained. The battery died in the first week so I swapped that out (it was the original factory battery so it was doing pretty well!) the brake fluid was dirty and low so I changed it using the turkey baster method, also the oil needed changing etc. On occasion (seems to be when I turn the ignition to quickly it doesn't turn over so I will be getting to the spark plugs soon.

Here however is the real issue.
When I initially picked it up the guy I bought it from told me there was some play in the from left ball joint and that I would hear it as I drove. There is a constant scraping as I drive, not too loud but enough to notice, I decided it could way until the MOT (not sure if it's relevant but thought I should mention it). Last week my girlfriend and I were driving and we both noticed extreme heat emanating from the panels and carpet around the gearstick. The thermostat reads normal but the heat is enough to make my feet sweat!
Yesteday it made a high pitched whining, def not a belt noise, sounds like metal grating on metal at speeds above 40.
I've pulled her into the drive and I'm going to get advice from a garage on Monday.
Problem is, I'm broke, really really broke.
So if it's a simple case of topping up some fluid I'd like to save myself the £50.
After some research I think it's probably the transmission, hopefully it's just low on fluid, it's always been really difficult and clumsy to shift gear.
I looked for the yellow dipstick but to no avail. I did find this compartment nestled into where I thought the dipstick should be I've taken pictures of it with cap on on and off and where I found it and the writing on the cap.
I'm really hoping someone can tell me if it is the reservoir for the transmission fluid, how to fill it correctly and what fluid to use.
I'm not the most mechanically minded but I've owned enough cars to know how to do some basic stuff.
Thanks for any help, or light you can shed on it.
If of course I've put 2+2 together and made 9 please also let me know

PS
Issues aside, loving being a Volvo owner again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5054.jpg (92.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5040.jpg (78.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5050.jpg (70.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5056.jpg (47.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by dominic wolf; Aug 18th, 2012 at 22:34. Reason: correct mistakes
dominic wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 15:46   #2
960kg
Premier Member

That is an air Vent Valve to the gearbox so don`t pour any oil down it!!

You don`t say what model of V40 you have but it looks like the 1.8 and also the gearbox type depends where the reverse mode is with the gearknob which will tell you how much oil the box takes.

In any case there is a drain nut underneath and a top up nut, which is the level you top up to. Depends what model box to where they are but usually on the passenger side by the drive shaft height!

At least you can check this for the screeching noise but where your feet get hot is where the cat. converter is, are the heat shields still there above it and also shields on the engine side bulkhead?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 23:33   #3
dominic wolf

Smile Thanks!

Good grief. Well thanks for that info, how embarrassing. I was feeling quite proud of myself and manly, my girlfriend just cackled with laughter when I read out your reply. Thank goodness I didn't get carried away and go for it!

It is a 1.8 model SE and reverse requires you to lift the ring, under the knob, and push far left and up towards the dashboard.

I haven't looked for shielding, and I'm not sure I would be able to identify it if I saw it! But I can try and have a look tomorrow with a torch. I did initially consider exhaust heat but it seems to be coming from the middle of the car, in the gear stick island. It normally takes about 15-20 minutes to heat up and the first place to get hot is the leather that surrounds the gear stick.
I think I may have to just bite the bullet and let a professional have a look.
If you have any thoughts though, I'd be interested to hear them.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.
All the best,

Dom
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 11:39   #4
dominic wolf

Well I found the top up nut and the fluid was fine and level with the nut, so feeling a bit baffled now. Swung by a mechanic who looked at it for about a minute and said he didn't think it was anything to worry about. He agreed with your thoughts that it was probably the cat and that there may be some shielding or a bung missing.
If it was just the heat I would leave it but that grating/ whining noise was definitely not good. Hasn't done it since though and that was about a week ago.
Not sure what my next steps should be.