Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding PAG oil when replacing condenser/drier ?

Views : 1057

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 10:36   #1
Jools99

Default Adding PAG oil when replacing condenser/drier ?

Hi folks,

Am in the process of changing my condenser & drier on a 2002 V70 D5 – will be posting a detailed write up to help others in future.
Would appreciate some advice to finish the job off:

Can someone confirm the correct PAG oil is PAG 100 ?

How much PAG oil to add when replacing components:
Internet search shows I should add around 25 to 30 cc for the condenser so that seems ok.
But the figures for the drier vary a lot more – between 95cc and 25 cc – depending on where you look - does anyone have any definitive figures for this car – maybe someone could look on VIDA and see if defines them ?

There are various refs saying you should pour out the old oil, and measure it and put back in the same amount – but almost nothing comes out and anyway I would expect the condenser has a lot stuck to its large inner surface area and the drier has desiccant in which I imagine would absorb (or at least retain) some oil so it wouldn’t come out ?

Thanks
Julian

PS – My VIDA not working at the mo – need to sort out the “patch” issue
Jools99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jools99 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:03   #2
MarvinMitt

The Zexel compressors on P2 use PAG 46 oil (Volvo part no. 1161 627-3).

Yes, the oil covers the surface so can't be drained from components so you just add oil volume by replaced components (VIDA figures):

Reciever drier : 30cm3
Evaporator: 50cm3
Condenser: 30cm3
Tube: 10cm3
Hose: 10cm3

Oil likes to trap air moisture so should be added as late as possible but before vacuuming the system, unless a pro pumping station is used. Always keep the open ends of the system covered when replacing components.
If you plan to get it filled by a workshop then let them do the oil adding so it doesn't get moisture contaminated, just let them know about the volume needed by replaced parts (drier+condenser = 30+30 = 60cm3 of PAG 46).
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:52   #3
MarvinMitt

There's a simple mistake been made in some database and some sources state, that P2 cars take PAG 100 oil.
Zexel DKS compressors such as the DKS17D on P2 take ZXL100PG oil which is not PAG 100 oil, it's PAG 46.
Also here's Volvo compressor oil chart which shows 627 at PAG 46 viscosity.

Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:14   #4
Jools99

Marvin,
Many thanks that’s such helpful clear info, just what I need !

I’ve been using the local ATS place to recharge a few cars for me – they have been ok and reasonably knowledgeable - when the V70 is reassembled they will pressurize it with nitrogen so I can check for leaks (using my gauge set) over a week or so before refilling with refrigerant. I asked the guy if the machine can add extra oil and he said yes – but when I explained I wanted 60cc extra to allow for new condenser/drier he said that was way more than he’s ever added (they only ever put in 10cc for a gas recharge). He was reluctant to put in more than 20cc total which left me once again concerned about how to get this bit as right as I can.
FWIW the system leaked down slowly so I think my oil loss will be minimal from this perspective.

Yes you are right some sources on the net show PAG 100 for P2 volvos – thanks to you I now know this is incorrect.

I didn’t ask ATS but I guess their machine would only have one type of oil to inject – I suspect they would use the most popular (whatever that is) and if you’re lucky you get the right viscosity and if not then tough ?!

I was pleased when my Nissens dryer turned up with plugged ports - I will expose it to the atmosphere for as short a time as poss when fitting.
Some internet info has said dryers arrive with the ports unplugged, and, if so, you need to boil off the absorbed moisture by evacuating the system for 30 mins – other sources say you cannot dry a dryer using this method – I don’t know which is correct on that one – just find it so frustrating at how much contradictory info there is out there !
Jools99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 16:22   #5
MarvinMitt

These are official Volvo numbers.
You can add the oil to the condenser manually.
Just do the connections asap and you'll be fine.
Don't reuse previously opened bottle.

Shops that only re-gas only add a little oil to the system that has potentially leaked out with the gas (it depends on how fast it leaks, bigger leaks measured by hours and few days take more oil with it and small leaks measured by a week or more give marginal oil loss) so they add a little oil.
Replacing AC components however have to make up the oil that was covering the inner surfaces of the components replaced so average figures are given.