Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54126

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 16:46   #11
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Well I've just spent the best part of two hours changing the drivers side dip beam bulb on my 05 V70.

I did not not have the luxury of being able to remove the ECU's and their box as I don't have the ECU removal tool. So it's working for the most part blind.

What a PITA this job is!
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 17:33   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

You were lucky ! They quoted you for the pre 2005 design as the standard volvo time for 2005-is 0.5 hr for both , thats 0.4 for the left and 0.1 for the right . I still think they have got it wrong as the 0.1 for the right must be for the very late ones with the ECU in the air filter ..
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 18:24   #13
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You were lucky ! They quoted you for the pre 2005 design as the standard volvo time for 2005-is 0.5 hr for both , thats 0.4 for the left and 0.1 for the right . I still think they have got it wrong as the 0.1 for the right must be for the very late ones with the ECU in the air filter ..
Although I guess if you do enough of them you develop a knack for doing it within the times they allow...?

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:51   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach View Post
Although I guess if you do enough of them you develop a knack for doing it within the times they allow...?

yes you can do it in the time but it never gets easier , you need to have the right shape hands and finger lengths as the bulb is so far inside the casing once you have the airfilter or ecu ( if there ) out ! I'm sure these things are designed by 23 year olds sat at computer screens !
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 21:32   #15
Einar

Default XC 70 headlight change

Followed the procedure as outlined by Alec Dawe and the job went well on my 2006 XC70. The problem I found was that the plug on electrical connector to the left side low beam bulb had overheated, melting one side and causing a break in the circuit. Turns out the bulb was fine, I changed it anyway.

Volvo sells a part to replace the burned plug, you cut the wires and crimp on a connector to the new plug wire. IMPORTANT, Do this one wire at a time to keep polarity correct. Also the parking light ground wire and the low beam ground go into the same plug wire with the new connector). When inserting the new bulb assembly it was helpful to look through the lense from the outside to line up the tabs on the holder.

My Volvo dealer said their shop uses the bumper cover removal method, but the car needs to be up on the hoist.
Einar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 15:30   #16
LincsChris

Followed the suggestions re removing the air filter box set out by Alec Dawe & it works a treat, mind I ended up taking it off in individual sections. Thanks for the help

Volvo had quoted me £45 + VAT for the same job as they were going to do the remove the bumper method.

Last edited by LincsChris; Aug 30th, 2010 at 15:36.
LincsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 23:44   #17
overwoody
AKA "Hugh Janus"

have had to do both sides in last 30 days. Nearside as per OP with air box out.

Off-side (driver) took around 10mins.

I use a spade connector with 10cm thick wire on it (loosened off the spade so it comes off with ease) and use this as an extension to bulb to locate, then with one finger on the bulb pull the wire/spade off and then whilst keeping the bulb pushed in, used the other hand to pull up the spring.
overwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to overwoody For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 00:39   #18
Rubic cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Well I've just spent the best part of two hours changing the drivers side dip beam bulb on my 05 V70.

I did not not have the luxury of being able to remove the ECU's and their box as I don't have the ECU removal tool. So it's working for the most part blind.

What a PITA this job is!
Hi when i replaced my offside light bulb nice chap at volvo dealers told me how to do it the case around the ecu lifts up after you undo some clips and ecu remains in car it is not unplugged i mentioned clan and chap knew him so i think dropping clans name helped me hope this helps you or anyone else who might need to replace a bulb as someone said n]s remove air filter box
Rubic cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 18:44   #19
Roadie

Unhappy Bulbs on V70 (D5 05)

Just spent several "happy" hours changing dipped bulbs, both sides. I'm blessed with agile fingers, and flexible arms, but even found this difficult. Nearside was quite difficult, but managed by holding bulb by the spades with fingertips. Removed all wiring to do it.. Thought about taking air cleaner off, but eventually succeded.

That was the easy side. Drivers side bulb came out OK, but so did the retaining spring. Nightmare refitting it, mirrors and nimble fingers eventually sorted the job out, but took a couple of hours..

I remember the days when you could get in the engine compartment to do these jobs!!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 12:00   #20
Radarman

Thanks Alec.

Just changed the nearside (left) dip bulb. Great little 'how-to'. Only had to do one of the air cleaner box clip thingies, as whoever did it the last time, couldn't be bothered to refit properly.

Not looking forward to doing the right hand one though when it needs it :-(
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote