Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54331

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 18:00   #21
mrclonkey

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman View Post
Thanks Alec.

Just changed the nearside (left) dip bulb. Great little 'how-to'. Only had to do one of the air cleaner box clip thingies, as whoever did it the last time, couldn't be bothered to refit properly.

Not looking forward to doing the right hand one though when it needs it :-(

Contacted Volvo to ask about dipped headlight bulb replacement. They wanted £12 + VAT each for the bulbs and £20 + VAT labour for fitting a pair - no free fitting for me. However, found a set of 2 Osram Ultralife replacements with a 3 year guarantee on Fleabay for £12.49 inc. postage and a pair of 3 year guarantee W5W 501 sidelights for £2.49 from the same supplier. With a few tips from this thread, I'v just done the UK (RHD) drivers side - the side with the ECU in.
I've attached a photo of some handy items I used - telescopic adjustable mirror (Fleabay cheapo - an invaluable tool for many tasks), hand nail remover, small torch and a piece of stiff (single strand) wire attached to a standard female spade connector. The ECU doesn't need to be removed, but the top cover does (3 easy to find clips), as does the main housing (3 clips, one each side and one at the front) which lifts off with a bit of wriggling to get it past the screenwash filler pipe. Here's how I did it for the first time in about 30 mins.
1. Place the mini torch so that it will shed light right inside the headlight housing but not get in the way and use the mirror tool to see what you are doing
2. Disconnect the headlight connector block from the back of the bulb
3. Use the forked end of the nail remover to hook over the wire bulb retainer clip, depress and unhook it
4. Remove the old bulb, taking note of the orientation of the bulb in the socket
5. Attach the old bulb to the wire with the female spade connector onto the LOWER bulb male connector (as it would be orientated in the headlight housing) - have a practice putting the bulb back in to get the wire bent into just the right shape.
6. Put the new bulb onto the newly shaped wire tool and insert into the headlight housing (a bit fiddly, so the mirror and torch are pretty vital here)
7. Use the fork in the nail remover tool to push the bulb retainer clip back on
8. Push the bulb connector block back on
9. You might want to take the opportunity, as I did, to change the sidelight bulb as well
10. Replace the ECU housing being careful to avoid catching the screenwash filler overflow pipe in the process.
While I'm on a roll I'm going to do the passenger side as well.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0040.jpg (87.5 KB, 77 views)
mrclonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrclonkey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 16:07   #22
rnlisg

Thumbs up bulb replacement kit

nice write up mr clonkey.
just had the nearside dipped beam bulb go on my my07 xc70,what a pig of a job,the drivers side i managed(after 20 mins)and some blood letting.kerbside no chance i could only just reach the plug,the box with the ecu?in came off easily to give a little more access but still could not get my fingers in.a friend has a garage round the corner so went round, he unclipped the ecu box and a harness with large jubilee clip round it and eased the whole box up which i held onto as he got his long fingers in to sort it out,even then it took him half an hour,(and some blood letting).
i shall make sure i have the kit you pictured for future ref.
cheers
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 22:22   #23
mrclonkey

Smile forgot to mention.......

Spud me, as my wife would say
By the way, I forgot mention that I managed to avoid blood letting by wearing builders latex faced gloves, the tight fitting ones. I've avoided all sorts of nasty finger related accidents DIYing since I discovered them.
mrclonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 23:42   #24
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I must be doing something wrong: it took less that 5 minutes to change pair of H7 dipped beam bulbs at the weekend :-/
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:44   #25
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
I must be doing something wrong: it took less that 5 minutes to change pair of H7 dipped beam bulbs at the weekend :-/
Is your car pre facelift - the bulbs were considerably easier to change! That said, once you've done it a couple of times on a facelifted car & you know what to do it can be a lot quicker - my record's 5 minutes on the left and about 10 on the right. :-D

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 19:23   #26
crankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
i have done the ns twice both times it took about 60mins (air box out way)i hope i do it wrong next time
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 16:19   #27
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Ah yes, mine's pre-facelift. Wasn't aware it would make such a difference.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 18:38   #28
rnlisg

Angry victor meldrew moment

"i dont bloody believe it"!!!!!!!.
i fitted(with help)a pair of new dipped beam bulbs a week or so ago,and today one of the bast has just blown,fortunately its the offside one on my my07 xc70,so am assembling mr clonkeys special toolkit(i think he should market them).to have another crack.naturaly wearing a pair of swmbo,s washing up gloves to avoid blood letting.
rant over calm now descending,
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 15:45   #29
bob865349
Bob865349

Default V70 2006 D5 Near side Dipped Headlight Bulb Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Twas on pre facelift cars. Post 2005 model, the bulbs are 'supposed' to be replaced from inside the bonnet, even the owners manual says so, but doesn't say what a pig of a job it is!
Having spent 2 hours replacing the near side dipped beam bulb then having it blow again 10 days later I decided that I would let my local Volvo dealer have the pleasure this time, cost me £40 but better than getting frustrated with a very fiddely job. But afterwards I thought about it and the problem I had on a 2006 V70 D5 was the MAF box was restricting access it was very difficult to get the bulb in the right place so I came up with the idea of using a short piece of 1/2" garden hose 2"-3" long and if you crush it between your finger it will go into an oval shape which you then push over the 2 terminals on the back of the bulb this gives you something to hold onto and should let you rotate and position the bulb with the tab located correctly, that was what took so long the first time. I havent tried it yet as the bulb has been replaced but it should work and might be a useful tip in the future.
bob865349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 16:49   #30
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Useful tip Bob...my problem was unhooking the wire retainer (the first time I did it the whole wire came away....)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote